collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Thundercats?!  (Read 11819 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: New Thundercats?!
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2018, 08:00:41 PM »
Skeletor needs his own TV show.

He needs his own Dr. Phil like talkshow! His reaction to every guest would be like "this is uninteresting and I hate you".

:lol:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2018, 12:24:01 PM »

He needs his own Dr. Phil like talkshow! His reaction to every guest would be like "this is uninteresting and I hate you".

"You fools!"

This is reminding me of the adverts for Money Supermarket in the UK, with Heman and Skeletor dancing...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »

"You fools!"

This is reminding me of the adverts for Money Supermarket in the UK, with Heman and Skeletor dancing...

Yes. I saw those. They were...interesting to say the least.

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2018, 12:00:11 AM »
I really wish these young people, who are involved with a lot of the reboots, would just leave my favorite characters alone and go make something new. I will always have the originals and I skip most of the reboot stuff, but I have a hard time looking at it and thinking 'these folks are fans.' If you truly are a fan of something then why go to such great lengths to basically trash the properties. We have seen it time and time again with reboots. Just make your owns stuff and stop relying on my sense of nostalgia which you will only spit on with your horrible animation and 'story telling.' *le sigh*

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2018, 12:51:30 AM »
I really wish these young people, who are involved with a lot of the reboots, would just leave my favorite characters alone and go make something new. I will always have the originals and I skip most of the reboot stuff, but I have a hard time looking at it and thinking 'these folks are fans.' If you truly are a fan of something then why go to such great lengths to basically trash the properties. We have seen it time and time again with reboots. Just make your owns stuff and stop relying on my sense of nostalgia which you will only spit on with your horrible animation and 'story telling.' *le sigh*

If nothing else it suggests a lack of imagination.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2018, 07:27:02 AM »

:iconclap: :iconclap: :iconclap: :iconclap: :iconclap: :iconclap: :iconclap: :iconclap: :iconclap:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2018, 09:05:59 AM »

Just because someone is a fan of a thing doesn't mean they see the thing the way other fans do. I have seen some fanworks for MLP even before G4 that have made me cringe and I'm glad those people never had more influence on the property. 90 percent of the time these reboots are nothing more than officially sanctioned fanworks that should have stayed on fanfiction.net and/or DA.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2018, 02:09:14 AM »

Just because someone is a fan of a thing doesn't mean they see the thing the way other fans do.

Like the Jem comic.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2018, 06:43:05 AM »
Yesss, that's a very good way of explaining a lot of these reboots - it's how *the creator* wants things instead of how the fandom as a whole might want it. There's nothing wrong with having your personal idea of a reboot or whatever, but IMO when you're actually in charge of a reboot then you need to consider how *everyone* is going to take these changes. If that makes sense. Yeah, you should be happy with the product you're delivering, but it's not just being made for one person, it's being made for many people.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2018, 02:45:48 PM »
I think it's fine to try something different with a property.  MLP Tales has its fans, and it is nothing like any other 'canon' in G1.  In a lot of ways it's almost the opposite of what I would consider the 'classic' elements of (most of) G1: magic, high adventure, princesses and dragons, lots of typical fantasy elements like elves, unicorns, and evil wizards.

I mean, the 2000s Thundercats series was nothing like the original 80s Thundercats either.  A lot of fans think it is, because it's what they would have liked the 80s series to be like.  But it wasn't.  2000s Lion-O started out being super racist towards the non-cat people of his planet, for example, and slowly grappled with the idea that, hey, maybe he was in the wrong.  There was a lot of examination of institutional racism in the 2000s Thundercats, in fact.  (Which is great!  But which is a HUUUGE difference between it and the 80s show.)

But I get what you're saying, too.  What's the point in using a nostalgic property if the majority of the fans of that property don't like what you're doing with it?  At that point, why use a nostalgic property at all?  Why not use your own original characters?

Then again, Michael Bay made millions by making movies that Transformers fans hate, so maybe they're onto something. :P
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:47:39 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2018, 06:00:15 AM »
Ha, oh no. Not the bay bots. I am still baffled how those movies made any money. They were just terrible.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2018, 08:07:03 AM »
Oh, I definitely agree that it's okay to go a bit different with a reboot, it'd be boring if it was just the exact same as the original XP But there's a point where it crosses from "updated ver of classic chars" to "[show] in name only", y'know?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2018, 12:18:49 PM »
Oh, I definitely agree that it's okay to go a bit different with a reboot, it'd be boring if it was just the exact same as the original XP But there's a point where it crosses from "updated ver of classic chars" to "[show] in name only", y'know?

Exactly!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2018, 02:43:45 PM »

Honestly the problem is even if it was a new show with new characters it looks bad. It looks like a knock off Steven Universe. Imho a reboot needs to have just as much effort put into it as a new property. Not a halfhearted effort hoping to cash in on nostalgia.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2018, 05:24:25 AM »

Honestly the problem is even if it was a new show with new characters it looks bad. It looks like a knock off Steven Universe. Imho a reboot needs to have just as much effort put into it as a new property. Not a halfhearted effort hoping to cash in on nostalgia.

I've been sorta staying away from commenting on Thundercats specifically since I've never seen the original, so I feel like I don't have much of a place to criticize... but honestly I agree, this new show's art style is really unappealing :s.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal