collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Thundercats?!  (Read 11813 times)

Offline YasuSuga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Friendship Garden
Re: New Thundercats?!
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2018, 04:43:41 PM »
I've never been into the Thundercats, but the original designs and artstyle seemed nice. This ones, just...just no, the style is terrible, I don't even know.
This is not being a good era for reboots, tbh.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2018, 04:50:26 PM »
I've heard there's been a lot of backlash about this, and I'm not sure I understand why.

Just saw this article today: https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/thundercats-roar-backlash-calarts/

I can relate to a lot of what the author of the article is saying... I don’t really understand why fans get ANGRY about things like this. It’s not like they’re taking away the original series—they’re just making something new. *Shrug* No matter how good or bad the new show is, I’m no poorer for it having been made. Maybe they’ll even give the original series a new DVD or Blu Ray release, if Thundercats becomes popular again.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:54:17 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »
I finally had an opportunity to watch the promo video, with my partner watching over my shoulder.
My reaction: *cringe*
His reaction: "I hate it already"

Bit of perspective. I never watched the original but just don't care for the new style, my partner did watch the original and doesn't like the reboot for several reasons.
We both enjoy watching cartoons, with overlapping tastes, but this is gonna be a miss for both of us. I don't mind reboots in general, but some originality is always appreciated.

Offtopic...
Spoiler
Victor Courtright has taken the hipster top-knot too far. I like the style, my partner has the style, I had the style... but his is unbalanced and I want to shave him.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2018, 08:16:25 PM »
Anyways, it should be live-action and look... jellicle, like this:
Spoiler

I've heard there's been a lot of backlash about this, and I'm not sure I understand why.

Just saw this article today: https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/thundercats-roar-backlash-calarts/

I can relate to a lot of what the author of the article is saying... I don’t really understand why fans get ANGRY about things like this. It’s not like they’re taking away the original series—they’re just making something new. *Shrug* No matter how good or bad the new show is, I’m no poorer for it having been made. Maybe they’ll even give the original series a new DVD or Blu Ray release, if Thundercats becomes popular again.

The article points out that CalArts haters are very rarely calling out Rick and Morty, and that's so true. Even though R&M has one of the uglier CalArts styles for sure.

Offtopic...
Spoiler
Victor Courtright has taken the hipster top-knot too far. I like the style, my partner has the style, I had the style... but his is unbalanced and I want to shave him.

Spoiler
And yet you two also indulged in a version of this hairstyle crime :lol:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2018, 10:19:49 PM »
Wooooo boy! It can’t be that bad, right? Maybe Cartoon Network will get this reboot right.
Watches clip*
My thoughts: Well, this is... unexpected. I grew up after thunder cats ended, so I have little experience with the original series. But from what I can gather, it was like most cartoons of the era. Quite memorable, but stupid. Unlike this...wonderful display. If I put it all here, it will take too long. So spoiler tabs it is to sum my points.
Spoiler
first. I love cute characters. Large eyes and cute, expressive characters are what I like to see and draw. But with the whole thundercats thing, cute little characters doesn’t seem to fit. Choose an art style that fits your target audience and the theme of the show. Thundercats aren’t cute. End of discussion
Spoiler
The original thundercats ended. Like, a while ago. It went out, and we should put it to rest and let it stay there. It deserves its spot in one of the most memorable cartoons, and this reboot isn’t really doing anything to help it. Reboots often are hit or miss. And seeing the similarity between this and the new power puff girls,things are looking a bit grim. If you want to do a reboot, Okay. Don’t agree with it, but sure. Just please, pay homage to the original and use the better technology to improve where the previous was limited!
Long comments short: you could have shown a still from this and told me it was the new powderpuff girls. And I would probably believe you. However, as we delve into this, I should like to give a small public service announcement. Right under this tab.
Spoiler
please do not hate on the show staff. They are not talentless or anything. This is their job. And it takes a lot of effort to produce any animated content. Feel free to critique the show, in all its...glory? I guess. But remember the people on the show are still people. The writers might stink a bit, but that’s no way to justify rude comments. Constructive criticism anybody?
Also, please recall this is a teaser. A trailer. Not a full representation of the final product, as the product is still in production. Things might be looking grim, but when it finally comes out, I’m hoping we all keep a open mind about this before making the final judgement as to weather or not it’s good.
Thanks for reading!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2018, 07:28:55 AM »
I was not a fan of the original thundercats, yeah it was a part of my childhood but other than being totally gay for cheetara it didn't really interest me.

I remember seeing artwork of the anime-ish looking reboot (like the new voltron style) and thought it looked pretty but thats where I stopped. I didn't peruse looking into it anymore than that. I don't have cable so I am limited on what I watch and Thundercats never peaked my interested to try to watch it.

This new version looks like they are trying to follow the teen titans model. You have the original over muscular ones, the totally spies/anime style one, and then the chibi simplified one. While I am not a fan of Teen titans go and I REALLY loved the one that came out that was anime looking, and REALLY do not care for teen titans go, but I can't really bash on it. It seems like its popular, seems like it makes them money, so I get why they are trying to follow the same model with thundercats.

Again, I can't say its my cup of tea, but it must be someones if its making them money and people are watching it.

I agree that I wish they would create more original stuff, I ADORE Steven universe which I understand has a similar art style, but its so good and I really love its originality. Its not a reboot of anything. I would like to see more shows like that rather than reboots, but hey, if it works I get it.

I will say, I like Cheetara with short hair and a unibrow though, just throwing that out there.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:31:19 AM by UrocyonFox »

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2018, 09:38:38 AM »
Maybe it will end up like that reboot of Rainbow Brite that was supposed to happen and never really did. 

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »
Maybe it will end up like that reboot of Rainbow Brite that was supposed to happen and never really did. 

Which reboot? The first one that was just a few awful webisodes and a handful of dolls or the second one that looked good and actually got a series but it was limited to their paid streaming service and had no dolls at all.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2018, 10:15:20 AM »
Articles and youtube vids on the backlash are popping up everywhere. Little rant on how I feel the backlash is being handled.

I'm not a Tundercats fan but I did watch the eighties cartoon. I can only say that I find the reboot unappealing, both in style and in tone. I've voiced my opinion, and for me, that's that. But longtime fans will certainly have a lot more to say about it, and I can understand that.

The mean reactions directed towards individuals working on the show is simply unacceptable. That's bullying, period, so I won't defend that. But the backlash doesn't consist of *only* that type of reaction. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's a minority even. A lot of people are voicing their disagreement. However, it seems that disagreeing opinions are quite easily regarded as hate comments nowadays, or at the very least as unwaranted responses, just because it's a disagreement. There is a big difference though IMO between hate comments, hurtful backlash and a negative opinion. Even worse is when opinions are exaggarated or ridiculed as a defense tactic; I have not read *one* single comment on Thundercats Roar about it ruining someone's childhood. However, comments like "I hate it, what are you doing to Thundercats?" are mentally translated into "you ruined my childhood" by those who don't accept the fact that their work is not pleasing a remarkably large crowd. And when you ridicule an opinion, you relieve yourself of having to take it seriously.

And people disagreeing with you is to be expected when you drastically reboot a known IP, regardless of whether the fanbase is big or small. Producers behind a reboot should take that into consideration from the start by now and maybe even set up an action plan to deal with it in case it happens.

To end my rant on a funny note: what if this were to be the animation style for MLP G5:

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2018, 11:12:39 AM »
My friends and I watched the trailer and the general reaction was, "Looks like ThunderCats is about to get neutered."

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2018, 12:43:45 PM »
Well, I don't like the animation style. I wonder how good the story will be?

I actually loved the style of the 2010/2011 reboot (anime style)-  I had a hard time finding episodes though. Wasn't there just one season? I know they kinda left it hanging.

I LOVED the original as a kid LOVED IT! But... I did rewatch some episodes as an adult (maybe they were on netflix?) and wow... the story lines were definitely tailored to 5 year olds!  So I don't think the reboot could really be "dumbed down" much more than the originals...?

I will admit the animation style is disappointing. I guess that's the style the kids like nowadays?

I guess any merch that they make will look like the new style too.  I guess all the better I won't be tempted to buy any of it...

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2018, 02:56:23 PM »

To end my rant on a funny note: what if this were to be the animation style for MLP G5:

It kind of reminds me of a muppet.  I think it's the eyes.

Post Merge: May 23, 2018, 02:57:22 PM

Which reboot? The first one that was just a few awful webisodes and a handful of dolls or the second one that looked good and actually got a series but it was limited to their paid streaming service and had no dolls at all.

I had no idea there were 2 reboots.  The one "pilot" episode I saw online was just...weird.  Rainbow Brite never used to say "Oh my bows!"

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »
Articles and youtube vids on the backlash are popping up everywhere. Little rant on how I feel the backlash is being handled.

I'm not a Tundercats fan but I did watch the eighties cartoon. I can only say that I find the reboot unappealing, both in style and in tone. I've voiced my opinion, and for me, that's that. But longtime fans will certainly have a lot more to say about it, and I can understand that.

The mean reactions directed towards individuals working on the show is simply unacceptable. That's bullying, period, so I won't defend that. But the backlash doesn't consist of *only* that type of reaction. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's a minority even. A lot of people are voicing their disagreement. However, it seems that disagreeing opinions are quite easily regarded as hate comments nowadays, or at the very least as unwaranted responses, just because it's a disagreement. There is a big difference though IMO between hate comments, hurtful backlash and a negative opinion. Even worse is when opinions are exaggarated or ridiculed as a defense tactic; I have not read *one* single comment on Thundercats Roar about it ruining someone's childhood. However, comments like "I hate it, what are you doing to Thundercats?" are mentally translated into "you ruined my childhood" by those who don't accept the fact that their work is not pleasing a remarkably large crowd. And when you ridicule an opinion, you relieve yourself of having to take it seriously.

And people disagreeing with you is to be expected when you drastically reboot a known IP, regardless of whether the fanbase is big or small. Producers behind a reboot should take that into consideration from the start by now and maybe even set up an action plan to deal with it in case it happens.

That's very muppetish.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2018, 11:58:24 AM »
Selling Jim Hanson style puppets of the Lame 6 would at least grab my attention again.
There was a lot of backlash against the style of G4 from MLP fans and most of us ended up buying the toys anyways.

Same with Teen Titans Go! The creators actually make fun of fans like me all the time. Even going so far as showing the 2003 character designs on the show and pretending season six was announced, then going "april fools!"
But TTG is very popular amongst kids and geeks alike, despite my rage. I'm still just a rat in a cage :lol:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2018, 08:31:17 PM »
I dunno, with all the pure ugly and stupidly written reboot shows that are coming up, Mega Man Fully Charged, Thundercats Roar, TMNT whats-it,  ya can't blame people for being thoroughly fed up with this kinda crap.

I'm still cringing over the fact that pizza is now the turtles weakness, Leo is no longer leader, Mega Man is Aki Light with a mini robot in his head who "Meganizes" him. (OMGS that sentence is SO painful.) And that Lion-O has a slice stick.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:14:53 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal