collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Merry Go Round Sunny Bunch Mail Order?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline frevill3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
G1 Merry Go Round Sunny Bunch Mail Order?
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:09:37 PM »
I need some help with a pony in my collection. I have Merry Go Round Sunny Bunch in a Mail Order (or play set) type of bag with her blue flower brush. I just have no idea where she came from! Does anyone know the origin of this pony? She was not listed as a typical mail order pony that I had known of. I would like to post a picture of her but I cannot figure out how... Any assistance would be appreciated.  :)

Thanks so much for your help!

Marilyn

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: G1 Merry Go Round Sunny Bunch Mail Order?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:11:16 PM »
I don't recall her ever being a mail order pony, but I know a Merry Go Round pony was included in a giftset that included the Scrub-a-Dub Tub.

The Scrub-a-Dub Tub was also sold without any ponies--that's actually more common--but there was also a giftset that included a Merry Go Round pony, a Sweetheart Sister, and a Sparkle pony.  I'm not sure if it was always the same pony or if it was randomized.  It's sort of hard to find info on this set;  I am going off memories of seeing a box of it someone posted quite some time ago.

Anyway, I remember the pony on the front of the box was striding, so it was either Sunnybunch or Flower Bouquet.  I think it was Sunnybunch, but I'm not positive.  (The sparkle pony was Sky Rocket and I think the Sweetheart Sister was purple?  Springsong maybe?)

Another possibility is that Sunnybunch was sold from a catalog, like from Sears, Montgomery Wards, or JC Penney's.  They would produce "wish books" (very thick catalogs) each year where people could mail order items, including toys.  I've seen early-year ponies (like Applejack, Moondancer, etc) from the catalogs, and they are not on cards but instead in sealed baggies (and the sealed baggies in boxes without windows, but decorated with the images from the backcards.)

So that is another possible origin.  However, I am not so sure MLPs were still offered in the catalogs by the time the Merry Go Round ponies came out.  MLP was no longer the "fad toy of the year" by that point.

EDIT:  According to the MLP collector guide by Summer Hayes, the Scrub a Dub Tub giftset could come with either Sunnybunch or Flower Bouquet.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:12:59 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:35:32 AM »
I remember a loooooong time ago I got a small lot of ponies from a local person. It included the scrub a dub tub and Flower Bouquet, I can't remember which SHS, and sparkle pony. I thought it was quite an odd combo, but also did find the details on Dream Valley about the gift set. I can support the claim that this grouping of set/ponies did exist. Can't back up that they were bagged though...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 07:05:34 AM »
Found something! I saved MLP Collector's pages and there's a photo there!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:49:59 AM »
I don't recall her ever being a mail order pony, but I know a Merry Go Round pony was included in a giftset that included the Scrub-a-Dub Tub.

The Scrub-a-Dub Tub was also sold without any ponies--that's actually more common--but there was also a giftset that included a Merry Go Round pony, a Sweetheart Sister, and a Sparkle pony.  I'm not sure if it was always the same pony or if it was randomized.  It's sort of hard to find info on this set;  I am going off memories of seeing a box of it someone posted quite some time ago.

Anyway, I remember the pony on the front of the box was striding, so it was either Sunnybunch or Flower Bouquet.  I think it was Sunnybunch, but I'm not positive.  (The sparkle pony was Sky Rocket and I think the Sweetheart Sister was purple?  Springsong maybe?)

EDIT:  According to the MLP collector guide by Summer Hayes, the Scrub a Dub Tub giftset could come with either Sunnybunch or Flower Bouquet.

I second that :) I have a MIB pic of that set on my harddrive I think but I cant find it atm. edit : ah theres a pic!

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »
I also asked the question in a facebook group and Ashlyne has posted photos, which I'll be adding to my accessory site soon!
https://mylittleponyaccessories.weebly.com

*Edit - I've uploaded them here:
https://mylittleponyaccessories.weebly.com/small-sets-page-2.html
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:11:35 AM by Chrissytree »

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 09:07:42 AM »
I also asked the question in a facebook group and Ashlyne has posted photos, which I'll be adding to my accessory site soon!
Saw that post... That's you :o)
After seeing the picture, I do remember the lot I had included the 3 ponies that were pictured...

G4 customs 4 sale

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 09:10:17 AM »
After seeing the picture, I do remember the lot I had included the 3 ponies that were pictured...
Yup :) That is me :) You're the third who also got Flower Bouquet but I've never seen her MIP... off to do some googling!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 09:13:51 AM »
Yup :) That is me :) You're the third who also got Flower Bouquet but I've never seen her MIP... off to do some googling!
Ha, at least I remembered something useful after all these years. lol. Hasrro had some odd marketing schemes.

G4 customs 4 sale

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 01:30:49 AM »
I love this thread. I remember vaguely this coming up in discussion before, but didn't see the MIB set before, I don't think? Or maybe if I did it was a long time ago. Hasbro have unique ways of getting rid of excess ponies.

We had a few things like that in the UK - I have a Baby Nightcap in a similar bag and she came to me in a European Kitchen set. The Slumber Party ponies minus Pillow Talk had a lot of weird end of line releases here. I've also heard of other ponies in baggies in playsets here, usually the Kitchen, but they never appeared on the box so it's nice that this one did.

I also got Little Rattles with my Kitchen as a kid but that was a Woolworths offer and she wasn't baggied, she was on her card but it was folded up to fit inside the box.

Argos also sold Snuzzle with Baby Bow Tie's stroller but I've never seen how this worked out in practice and don't know if she was just on card and taped to the box or if she was a MO in baggie...

There are also probably Magical Breezes in bag (and maybe even Pony Bride as well) as they were released through horseshoe point offers here.

So it's possible there are a lot of these lurking around.

Is the Sparkle Pony with the playset a store version or MO Sky Rocket, out of interest?

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 05:52:04 AM »
I got Magical Breezer through horseshoe points.
Sky Rocket is the regular version as far as I know.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 08:25:13 AM »
I got Magical Breezer through horseshoe points.
Sky Rocket is the regular version as far as I know.

Did Magical Breeze come in a bag or on card? I have always wondered this.
Also I just realised I was talking in UK name speak. For anyone confused or thinking there's some random UK pony you haven't heard of - we're talking about Magic Message Windy ;) For some reason she was released here through mail order as well as in stores (though I have yet to see her MIP in either format).

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal