collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair Quality Decline?  (Read 6200 times)

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
Re: Hair Quality Decline?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 10:15:30 PM »
i’m not sure if it’s “actual” grease, rather isn’t it just slippery and slick?  like they made it out of beach ball plastic?

I think that sometimes it's actual grease that I have been able to get out with conditioner. People have theorized that is has something to do with the hair rooting or production process. Other times, it seems like it's just the type or quality of the hair.

I feel that G4 hair quality went down around 2013 for whatever reason. Packaging, molds, and paint also all declined. Some of the new G4.5/reboot seemed to have a little better hair quality at first, but they never got back to the thickness and softness of the early releases.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 11:48:26 PM »
This whole generation seems to have poorer quality hair period.  I notice the tails seem to suffer the worst. I've gotten thin, dry, greasy, frizzy and unmanageable hair. I own  a handful of ponies who have legitimately nice hair and 2 of them are merponies.

This.  There have been complaints about the quality of G4 hair going back to nearly the beginning of the line (I've found threads dating from early 2012 mentioning it).  It does seem to be happening more and more frequently lately, but the ones I've had that stand out have been the Rarity that came with the "Book"tique which had incredibly frizzy hair straight out of the box and a couple of the Rainbow Power Fluttershys that came with a Breezie which had waxy feeling tails that no amount of washing and conditioning would fix. 

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 04:58:31 AM »
My older g4's are fine I guess, but my newer pearly cherry berry has hair issues too. Oh well, I can fix that I think, plus she wasn't that expensive.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 05:57:01 AM »
Nearly all of my newer G4s have dry, frizzy, or greasy hair. I've noticed that the ponis that come in playsets or 2-packs have somewhat nicer hair, but even then it's still hit and miss. My Haven Bay has very greasy hair, and my hippogriff Skystar has dry and frizzy hair. But my Luna and Pinkie Pie sea has silky, beautiful hair! I hope this hair quality doesn't continue into G5.

Offline Heart891011

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 06:04:30 AM »
I have had problems with bad rail quality since 2013 with Sunset Shimmer. The bad mane quality started with the pearly brushables though and just got worse with the reboot. The worst one is the land and sea pinkie pie (one with fabric sea pony tail) her hair falls out when brushed and she is missing a hair plug already.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 06:18:11 AM »
Nearly all of my newer G4s have dry, frizzy, or greasy hair. I've noticed that the ponis that come in playsets or 2-packs have somewhat nicer hair, but even then it's still hit and miss. My Haven Bay has very greasy hair, and my hippogriff Skystar has dry and frizzy hair. But my Luna and Pinkie Pie sea has silky, beautiful hair! I hope this hair quality doesn't continue into G5.

I hope not either, but I aint holdin my breath.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Evilunicorn

• Captain Jack Pony
  • Always tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 06:28:11 AM »
Almost all of my G4.5 ponies have had really bad hair. I got lucky on a few and their hair is really nice, but I'd say 90% of them just have dry, frizzy, straw-like feeling hair. That's why I mostly stopped with collecting 4.5 ponies and just get them for customs. Hopefully with the big 6" set coming out with the mane 6 and princesses the hair quality issue will be somewhat resolved. I don't want a big Luna with garbage hair  :pout:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 07:21:39 AM »
Almost all of my G4.5s and later G4s (such as pearly ponies) have terrible, frizzy hair. With the only exceptions being the 12 ponies from the TRU Friendship Festival pack, and the ponies that came with the Walmart release of Seaquestria. But all of the single and 2-pack G4.5s had frizzy hair right out of the box.

The hair on the new Equestria Girls dolls is very nice, however.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 07:40:36 AM »
It's quality control, or the complete lack thereof.

Hasbro has demonstrated they don't care to spend anything on QC for the G4 line, probably because the cost per unit is so low.  Suppliers with no oversight and factories with no monitoring are going to pump out sub-par stuff, and I can't really blame them given how the working conditions aren't exactly up to western standards.

THIS SO MUCH.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 07:56:59 AM »
It's quality control, or the complete lack thereof.

Hasbro has demonstrated they don't care to spend anything on QC for the G4 line, probably because the cost per unit is so low.  Suppliers with no oversight and factories with no monitoring are going to pump out sub-par stuff, and I can't really blame them given how the working conditions aren't exactly up to western standards.

This is what I have noticed, even to the extent of hair not being properly glued into the head so it comes out in locks when brushed  :\

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 08:13:54 AM »
I'm not sure if it's a steady decline in quality.  To me it feels more like it goes up and down almost at random.  Like Twist (Twist-a-loo) was quite early in the line, yet had some of the worst hair.  Her tail is actually a different type of hair, and a slightly different shade of hair, than her mane!

To me the pearly ponies' hair seems quite nice, I don't know if it's because I don't style my ponies as much as some people or what.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »
I have had problems with bad rail quality since 2013 with Sunset Shimmer. The bad mane quality started with the pearly brushables though and just got worse with the reboot. The worst one is the land and sea pinkie pie (one with fabric sea pony tail) her hair falls out when brushed and she is missing a hair plug already.

My pearly sea pony Twilight came with a plug in the front missing, yet the rest of her hair seems correctly plugged in. Maybe some sea ponies just have bad luck.

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »

My pearly sea pony Twilight came with a plug in the front missing, yet the rest of her hair seems correctly plugged in. Maybe some sea ponies just have bad luck.

I have the pearly sea pony Rainbow Dash, and her mane is rooted unevenly... As in, some of the hair is only like an inch long, while other parts are 3-4 inches. I gave one of the short plugs a gentle tug, to see if it was caught in something... and the whole tuft fell out in my hand. :P Yeah... QC isn’t what it used to be.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 04:03:02 PM »
I think the "reboot" ponies have an overall extremely sharp decline in quality - both in the body plastic, and in the hair.  The hair hasn't been great since G2s left the stores, but it's been adequate for the most part.  G3s have a problem with that disintegrating pink, and there are several ponies that have easily frizzing hair, but it was mostly ok.  G4s always had some problems, even more than G3s, but it was mostly adequate as well. 

I remember when the G4s first came out, someone posted a size comparison shot between all generations of MLP.  The person who made the photo was incensed that the new G4s were about the same size as the McDonald's ponies.  I have space issues, so tiny ponies are never a problem with me!  As long as they're decent quality, small is fine.  They may have been small, but they were still considerably better than the McDonald's ponies.  You could just look at them and see the difference, and it was even more pronounced when you held them.  Now, they seem to be getting closer and closer to fast food toy quality.   The type of plastic used for the bodies is getting closer, the molds have been redesigned to make them even cheaper to make, and the hair is getting closer to that very low standard as well. 

MLP is quickly becoming fast food toy quality at retail doll/action figure prices.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 04:27:47 PM »
I think the "reboot" ponies have an overall extremely sharp decline in quality - both in the body plastic, and in the hair.  The hair hasn't been great since G2s left the stores, but it's been adequate for the most part.  G3s have a problem with that disintegrating pink, and there are several ponies that have easily frizzing hair, but it was mostly ok.  G4s always had some problems, even more than G3s, but it was mostly adequate as well. 

I remember when the G4s first came out, someone posted a size comparison shot between all generations of MLP.  The person who made the photo was incensed that the new G4s were about the same size as the McDonald's ponies.  I have space issues, so tiny ponies are never a problem with me!  As long as they're decent quality, small is fine.  They may have been small, but they were still considerably better than the McDonald's ponies.  You could just look at them and see the difference, and it was even more pronounced when you held them.  Now, they seem to be getting closer and closer to fast food toy quality.   The type of plastic used for the bodies is getting closer, the molds have been redesigned to make them even cheaper to make, and the hair is getting closer to that very low standard as well. 

MLP is quickly becoming fast food toy quality at retail doll/action figure prices.

I gotta agree with this. The size was okay so long as it was still of decent quality but I just can't justify the price versus the quality of what we've been given. The pony toys we're getting now seem more like the stuff we might have gotten in happy meals in 2003

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal