collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair Quality Decline?  (Read 6193 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Hair Quality Decline?
« on: May 14, 2018, 05:34:04 PM »
Okay, I think this is a heavily talked about topic, or maybe it was at one point, but here's my spin on it...
Has anyone else noticed a decline in the quality of G4 hair ever since they rebranded with the whole movie? I'm not just talking about the greasy feeling hair, but like, dry and frizzy hair (especially with the pearly sea ponies)? My pearly sea pony Twilight and Rainbow Dash both have super frizzy hair and my pearly sea pony Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy have extremely dry hair (especially Pinkie Pie, her hair is even super straight while the others all had some volume of curl in their hair). I don't know if this is the same for the Rarity or Apple Jack pearly sea ponies or the newer non pearly sea ponies either. I know my Princess Skystar has beautifully silky hair (it is a bit too thin for my liking however...), and most of my normal ponies have the same silky hair quality.
Now, there are some exceptions. I got the friendship festival Twilight, Tempest Shadow, and Spike pack and while Twilight and Spike are okay, Tempest's tail is weirdly dry and almost frizzy. I also got the friendship festival exclusive pack from Toys "R" Us, and my Maude's hair is all dented and choppy (If you want a picture I can upload one), and her tail is weirdly thin and long. This stumps me because all the ponies in that set had absolutely silky, full hair that just felt so soft and amazing and yet Maude's is super weird.
The worst offender of all, however, has to be my Starlight Glimmer.
This Starlight Glimmer is the one that came with the snap on fashions outfits. From THE MOMENT I took her out of the package, her hair has been a complete and utter frizzy mess. So frizzy, it just stands backwards like she just got blown super hard by the wind or something. I tried fixing it today with some conditioning, but that hasn't helped at all which is a shame because she was the first of the new relaunch ponies I got.
If anyone has any information at all, can you please tell me? Thank you!

P.S. You might've saw my post about not being active during the summer, well no need to fear because I have gotten to keep my computer for extra courses I am taking for school.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Nonnavlis

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
Re: Hair Quality Decline?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 05:42:07 PM »
I've noticed. I don't collect G4 anymore but my friend does and she showed me the hair on her new ones and complained about it (justifiably, ofc). It was nothing like the hair on my G4s, which are all earlier releases. It's quite disappointing! We tried to straight-iron one of hers (and also used lots of conditioner on it) and it still didn't really solve the problem. It's not nearly so nice as it used to be!

Also it seemed to be a little more prone to melting? So I'm not sure I'd actually recommend straight ironing it.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:01:31 PM »
I certainly have seen this a lot, I am really getting disappointed.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
I also am interested it knowing what's going on with hair quality.  If I had the time I'd like to take a systematic approach and compare year by year of G4 and color by color.  And then measure the hair itself... I wonder if there's a objective way to measure hair quality? Can you weigh it? or shine a laser in it or something?  Tensile rigidity?

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 06:13:39 PM »
I noticed that my All About Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops developed frizz really quickly. :/ I ended up having to trim her mane a tiny bit, it got so bad. What’s odd is that I hadn’t even done much with her... she just got jostled around with some plushies for a while, and I guess that did it?

Anyway, that’s never happened with any of my other ponies, G1-G4. Now I’m concerned.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:39:34 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 06:38:35 PM »
This whole generation seems to have poorer quality hair period.  I notice the tails seem to suffer the worst. I've gotten thin, dry, greasy, frizzy and unmanageable hair. I own  a handful of ponies who have legitimately nice hair and 2 of them are merponies.

Sapphire Shores FS-Thick and silky, but a bit unmanageable.

Sapphire Joy Pearly-Silky but greasy and hard to manage. Had to braid it.

Rainbowdash MS-Dry, ratty, thin, unmanageable. Finally had to braid it.

Soarin AA-Nice and soft. Nice tail thickness too.

Songbird Serenade 2 pack with Twerlot Sporkle-Nice mane, dry tail. Conditioner helped. Sporkle had nicer hair then she did.

Diamond Mint WC-Standard, but a bit hard to manage.

Lira Heartstrings-Baggy pony-Standard. A bit hard to manage.

Pretzel-Greasy.

Baggy Rarity-Dry. Conditioning helped a bit.

Starlight Glimmer Pearly-Thick and silky. Bit hard to manage.

Princess Luna SB?-Thick tail, thin mane. Bit hard to manage.

Princess Celestia WC-Thin but silky.

Princess Gold Lily-Standard. Bit hard to manage.

Princess Sterling-Silky.

Princess Skystar-Silky but thin.

Mer-Rainbowdash-Thick and lush.

Mer-Fluttershy-Thick, lush and silky.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:53:27 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 07:16:23 PM »
Hmm, so judging from what you guys have said this seems to be common. Maybe it's something due to budget cuts? I know not all of my earlier G4s had perfect hair, but it was at least better than this.
I think it's a similar situation to Monster Highs possibly. I can't say for certain since I don't have the sales statistics, but MLP doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was and before the rebrand they seemed to have a lot more gimmicks than usual. 

I also forgot to mention the Luna I got with Pinkie in the friendship festival pack. While I can't recall pinkie that much since I didn't care too much about her, Luna had extremely short and thin mane and tail. It was silky-ish, kinda greasy, but super short. (also I just want to take a second here to say I hate the new Luna/Cadence mold, especially the heads)

This doesn't have much to do with the hair but more-so the overall quality of the newer G4s, but I've also noticed a lot more issues with the plastic around the tail. More extra or cracked plastic.

So my conclusion is that the rebrand is sort of  a last-ditch effort to squeeze some money out of MLP before they rebrand yet again with G5. The budget has been reduced and as a result the overall quality has decreased.
What do you guys think of that theory?

Mimic drawn by me~

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 07:28:17 PM »
I haven’t run into any greasiness in my G4/4.5s yet. I have had issues with dryness, though... Out of curiosity, does the greasy hair wash out, or is it more of a gluey thing?

I’ll be surprised if they rebrand in the immediate future. I think Hasbro will try to coast off of the movie for a couple more years at least... Then, who knows? They struck popularity gold with G4, so I’m sure they’ll do their best to squeeze every penny out of it. In fact, I’m a little scared that when they DO make G5, they’ll try too hard to keep it similar to G4.  :/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:30:48 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 07:53:19 PM »
i’m not sure if it’s “actual” grease, rather isn’t it just slippery and slick?  like they made it out of beach ball plastic?

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 08:53:17 PM »
i’m not sure if it’s “actual” grease, rather isn’t it just slippery and slick?  like they made it out of beach ball plastic?

Yeah it's not actual grease, but it feels like greasy human hair. I'm not sure what they do that makes it like that, but it usually occurs on the ones that have thinner hair plugs.
It could be glue or something sopping into the hair like on barbies, but it doesn't feel like when a barbie's hair gets the icky glue in it.

I'd have to find one of my ponies with greasy hair to test out the washing out method...which honestly I just might do.

Mimic drawn by me~

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 09:41:07 PM »

I have no idea what it actually is, but it is so gross.
Hmm, so judging from what you guys have said this seems to be common. Maybe it's something due to budget cuts? I know not all of my earlier G4s had perfect hair, but it was at least better than this.
I think it's a similar situation to Monster Highs possibly. I can't say for certain since I don't have the sales statistics, but MLP doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was and before the rebrand they seemed to have a lot more gimmicks than usual. 

I also forgot to mention the Luna I got with Pinkie in the friendship festival pack. While I can't recall pinkie that much since I didn't care too much about her, Luna had extremely short and thin mane and tail. It was silky-ish, kinda greasy, but super short. (also I just want to take a second here to say I hate the new Luna/Cadence mold, especially the heads)

This doesn't have much to do with the hair but more-so the overall quality of the newer G4s, but I've also noticed a lot more issues with the plastic around the tail. More extra or cracked plastic.

So my conclusion is that the rebrand is sort of  a last-ditch effort to squeeze some money out of MLP before they rebrand yet again with G5. The budget has been reduced and as a result the overall quality has decreased.
What do you guys think of that theory?

It's due to Hasbro cheaping out and pushing as much samey crud as possible for a quick profit period. The plastic aint that great either. I guess all of their quality stuff is going into their Masterpiece Transformers. I don't think we'll ever have it as good G1/G3 again. *sigh* How the mighty have fallen.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:47:05 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 09:47:07 PM »
Sometimes the tails really do have horrible hair, but I've found a product that helps at least get it manageable. It's called "Cos-Spray". It's a cosplay wig detangler! You spray it on the hair, comb through gently, and for the really frizzy tails? Curl it up tight with some tinfoil and blow dry for a bit. You don't need to wash it; you can leave the spray in. It's not harmful to plastic, since it's specifically made for nylon wigs, it actually smells quite nice, and it works magic at getting all the knots out and making the hair at least feel a bit better.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 09:50:03 PM »
Hmm...I haven’t gotten this kind of stuff yet, but I haven’t bought many of the new toys either. My only new movie crushable is a seapony pinkie pie. Her hair is nice and soft to me. But I have heard tales like this of less than par hair. I too would like to know what hasbros doing. A rebrand seems likely, and budget cuts. But It’s not an excuse, just a possible explanation.
     As for the greasy hair, I have no idea. My best bet? The machine that plugs the hair might have been oiled prior to that batch, or the hair has been treated with something. But I’m no plastic expert, so don’t look at me like I know what I’m blathering on about.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 09:50:49 PM »
Sometimes the tails really do have horrible hair, but I've found a product that helps at least get it manageable. It's called "Cos-Spray". It's a cosplay wig detangler! You spray it on the hair, comb through gently, and for the really frizzy tails? Curl it up tight with some tinfoil and blow dry for a bit. You don't need to wash it; you can leave the spray in. It's not harmful to plastic, since it's specifically made for nylon wigs, it actually smells quite nice, and it works magic at getting all the knots out and making the hair at least feel a bit better.

Thank you Aitsuki. That seems like a wonderful discovery you made. :)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 10:13:38 PM »
It's quality control, or the complete lack thereof.

Hasbro has demonstrated they don't care to spend anything on QC for the G4 line, probably because the cost per unit is so low.  Suppliers with no oversight and factories with no monitoring are going to pump out sub-par stuff, and I can't really blame them given how the working conditions aren't exactly up to western standards.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal