collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: acetone effect on pony *Updated July 8th: G3 pony*  (Read 13878 times)

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
acetone effect on pony *Updated July 8th: G3 pony*
« on: May 12, 2018, 06:20:09 AM »
Has anyone ever tried to grow a pony to twice its size by dunking it in pure acetone? It's supposed to work because of the soft plastic, but a quick google search shows me that all people seem to use acetone for is *shrink* soft plastic (usually doll heads).

I got a bait Peachy, prepped to be dunked in acetone, but I'm not sure I want to go through the hastle if the effect isn't really all that noticeable (or is the opposite). I haven't bought the acetone just yet.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:15:50 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
Re: acetone effect on pony
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 06:28:28 AM »
I never heard of that. Oo
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 06:43:24 AM »
I never heard of that. Oo

A Hasbro employee who worked on MLP in the eighties made the claim during a Pony Fair (quite a few years ago).

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 07:16:30 AM »
I wont pretend I know the first thing about chemicals and their properties against certain materials but I do know from my own mistakes Acetone really messes up paint, Varnish and plastics. Its almost corrosive, I would maybe conduct your test with caution? Be careful of spilling it, getting your hands in it all that often as it will dry them out and the smell is really horrible imo, although I don't know if the smell is harmful.

If for whatever reason it does expand the vinyl it might make Peachy more brittle and I could also make her deformed? in thicker areas of the Vinyl it may not expand as much leading to a lumpy pony  :P But this is all conjecture of course.

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 08:10:22 AM »
Hmm... I'm not sure I would recommend this. Acetone is the ingredient in nail polish remover. It removes pony paint. Paint will probably come off if you try this.

I've seen doll head shrinking stuff before because I like BJDs and repainting dolls. They do use vinyl, so I'm assuming it would shrink instead of grow.

IIRC, the conjecture from the pony fair was that if you put a pony into acetone with some other chemicals it would grow but once you took it out it would shrink back? I would recommend following a doll head shrinking tutorial or at least modifying one too.

If you do try this, be really careful with acetone. It can dry your skin and it is not good to breath in.

Good luck if you try this!

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 08:31:21 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll definitely be taking the necessary safety precautions. And I'm okay with the paint rubbing off, she's a total bait anyways and needs a full repaint. In some DIY vids on doll heads they did mention that the vinyl first expands before it shrinks. So in order to keep it from shrinking, the object has to be filled up with a hard enough material until the acetone has completely evaporated from the vinyl.

I'll definitely post pics if I do end up trying it. It's just one of those hit or miss experiments I just need to try at least once to have peace of mind  :lol:

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 07:27:59 PM »
I once saw a tutorial in shrinking a doll head, but I've never thought of it for expanding a pony. Interesting! The paint would be ruined of course, and if it's a G4, I've seen it do damage to plastic with extended application time. Please do let us know what you find out!
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 05:02:38 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to grow a pony to twice its size by dunking it in pure acetone? It's supposed to work because of the soft plastic, but a quick google search shows me that all people seem to use acetone for is *shrink* soft plastic (usually doll heads).

I got a bait Peachy, prepped to be dunked in acetone, but I'm not sure I want to go through the hastle if the effect isn't really all that noticeable (or is the opposite). I haven't bought the acetone just yet.

The acetone will make your pony expand only till its dried, then it will shrink if it is vinyl, but depending on the plastic it can melt the pony into goop, it will also melt pony hair, glue, and wipe off any paint it will also cause the pony to be very smelly unless aired out
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 05:35:11 PM »
I would be interested to see results. The idea of stuffing the pony so it cannot shrink may work, or it may result in something unexpected. If your bait Peachy is willing to take one for the team to satisfy out curiosity then go for it, safely. ^.^
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »
didn't someone do an experiment like that? they stuck a pony in pure acetone to see what happened and it just melted?
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 09:04:18 AM »
didn't someone do an experiment like that? they stuck a pony in pure acetone to see what happened and it just melted?

That's definitely a possibility. I might have to dilute the acetone, and can always add more acetone afterwards if necessary.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »

The acetone will make your pony expand only till its dried, then it will shrink if it is vinyl, but depending on the plastic it can melt the pony into goop, it will also melt pony hair, glue, and wipe off any paint it will also cause the pony to be very smelly unless aired out

Yeah, she's got it right! The pony will get really big - for a little while, then when you pull it out of the acetone and the liquid evaporates, it takes the plasticizer with it (AFAIK), leaving the pony smaller, and much harder/less pliable. I have a friend who does this with doll heads, and it only shrinks them in the end. The 'embiggening' (LOL) is only temporary during the process unfortunately!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 01:43:50 AM »
So, my question is this: could wiping a pony with acetone help to hasten the process when you have a pony suffering from plasticiser leakage? Because we all know that this is irreversible anyway so perhaps the solution is to speed it up? Then after the wiping I think one should thoroughly wash the pony with soap and water. Leaving chemicals on ponies is not a good plan in my opinion.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 10:22:07 AM »
plasticiser leakage

What is that exactly? Sounds gooey...

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »
It's when your pony gets all sticky - the stage before they go hard. Or at least that is my understanding of it. I have yet to have a pony go through the process so have no first hand experience to draw from.

The plasticiser is the ingredient that keeps the plastic pliable, and sometimes seems to 'leak' out of the pony making them go sticky. Please, anyone, step in and correct me if I got anything wrong here...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal