collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why Do YOU Collect My Little Ponies?  (Read 10888 times)

Offline haircutsandhighlighters

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do YOU Collect My Little Ponies?
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2018, 05:38:19 AM »
I don't think that pony collecting is immature or unintelligent. I feel sorry for people who feel that way. It's perfectly possible to be an adult and understand the real world and its problems and challenges and still love plastic ponies from your childhood. I'm really glad they're a part of my life, even though to the outside world they'd just be seen as an 'autistic obsession'...

Agreed, 100%.

Although I am also autistic, and I prefer to use the term "passion" or "enthusiasm". Why is it acceptable for an adult to follow everything a particular group of overpaid men do with a ball, but not to still love the toys they grew up with? I for one still have my baby blankies in my bed, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Maybe the world would have fewer problems if it let a bit more whimsy and happiness in.

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2018, 07:50:13 AM »
They don't help me with depression, they don't remind me of my childhood because i didn't care about mlp when i was a child.They are just beautiful and adorable and i love to look at them, they give me happiness.I never really stopped to like toys though, so i can understand what some of you are saying.Finishing a day of class at university and coming home to see all of them smiling is an amazing feeling.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2018, 09:31:38 AM »
I don't think that pony collecting is immature or unintelligent. I feel sorry for people who feel that way. It's perfectly possible to be an adult and understand the real world and its problems and challenges and still love plastic ponies from your childhood. I'm really glad they're a part of my life, even though to the outside world they'd just be seen as an 'autistic obsession'...

Agreed, 100%.

Although I am also autistic, and I prefer to use the term "passion" or "enthusiasm". Why is it acceptable for an adult to follow everything a particular group of overpaid men do with a ball, but not to still love the toys they grew up with? I for one still have my baby blankies in my bed, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Maybe the world would have fewer problems if it let a bit more whimsy and happiness in.
:iconclap:

Also, computer games. Gaming is acceptable. Also men collecting toys is often more acceptable. There are a lot of disparities.

I like football too though ;)

And I don't like the word 'obsession' either. Hence the inverted commas. It's the usual negative slur from people outside who don't understand that it's just proof of someone living a more vivid life, because of the pleasure we can take from many small things, as opposed to needing to get blind drunk or plastic surgery or whatever deluded things come under other people's 'obsessions'.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2018, 06:40:18 AM »
If it's socially acceptable to collect He-Man and TMNT toys as an adult, it should be just as acceptable to collect MLP as an adult.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »

Also, computer games. Gaming is acceptable. Also men collecting toys is often more acceptable. There are a lot of disparities.

If it's socially acceptable to collect He-Man and TMNT toys as an adult, it should be just as acceptable to collect MLP as an adult.

THIS.
I have been hitting a wall with my friend recently over this issue, I think they are embarrassed about me but they wont admit it, I cant wear cute clothes or collect girly toys but they can collect model trains and planes. It annoys me to no end

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2018, 11:44:46 AM »

THIS.
I have been hitting a wall with my friend recently over this issue, I think they are embarrassed about me but they wont admit it, I cant wear cute clothes or collect girly toys but they can collect model trains and planes. It annoys me to no end

I find this so sad, though it says more about them and their insecurities than you.
Don't get too disconsolate, just do what makes you happy - your real friends will accept it as it is part of you, and we all come as a 'package'.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2018, 01:56:58 PM »

THIS.

That is why you need to come to Ponycon. Because the moment you step into that room you realise you are normal and everyone else is odd for not collecting ponies ;) And you will also be in a room full of ponies. Which is never bad.

Seriously, though, that does suck. I found it hardest to be open about my collecting between the ages of about 15 and 22ish. When you get older than that people around you hopefully grow up and get over themselves a bit more. Not that it's a hard and fast rule, but I have no intention of hiding my ponies when people come to visit. One of my friends also still has her ponies back in Israel although she hasn't dug them out yet, she remembers some of them. The first place outside of my family that just accepted it was at my first job where I had ponies on my desk and one of my colleagues made a little daisy sticker for her, another gave her an L plate because I was trying to learn to drive at the time, then someone else added a welsh flag...and she became something of an office mascot. (She was one of the G3s. Pink pegasus. Forget her name but she has a gem symbol. It might be Twilight Pink?) Before that I also had Shenanigans in her school clothing on there. I also had a colleague whose kid was into MLP and so i brought her some back from Ponycon :) It was really refreshing because I felt like I'd crossed that threshold a little.

Unfortunately people want to "be adult" and don't realise that collecting kid's stuff doesn't make you juvenile. Not respecting other people for who they are and what they like is juvenile.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 02:00:10 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline emily_katie

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »

THIS.

I find this so sad, though it says more about them and their insecurities than you.
Don't get too disconsolate, just do what makes you happy - your real friends will accept it as it is part of you, and we all come as a 'package'.
I attribute it to them not wanting to be seen as not masculine, Its not like I play with the ponies I have, I just enjoy searching them out and giving them a new lease of life. Oh and they are soooo cute. But he doesn't get that  :|

THIS.

That is why you need to come to Ponycon. Because the moment you step into that room you realise you are normal and everyone else is odd for not collecting ponies ;) And you will also be in a room full of ponies. Which is never bad.

Seriously, though, that does suck. I found it hardest to be open about my collecting between the ages of about 15 and 22ish. When you get older than that people around you hopefully grow up and get over themselves a bit more. Not that it's a hard and fast rule, but I have no intention of hiding my ponies when people come to visit. One of my friends also still has her ponies back in Israel although she hasn't dug them out yet, she remembers some of them. The first place outside of my family that just accepted it was at my first job where I had ponies on my desk and one of my colleagues made a little daisy sticker for her, another gave her an L plate because I was trying to learn to drive at the time, then someone else added a welsh flag...and she became something of an office mascot. (She was one of the G3s. Pink pegasus. Forget her name but she has a gem symbol. It might be Twilight Pink?) Before that I also had Shenanigans in her school clothing on there. I also had a colleague whose kid was into MLP and so i brought her some back from Ponycon :) It was really refreshing because I felt like I'd crossed that threshold a little.

Unfortunately people want to "be adult" and don't realise that collecting kid's stuff doesn't make you juvenile. Not respecting other people for who they are and what they like is juvenile.
I am between those ages, I admit I am quite embarrassed about my collection sometimes, I live with 5 other uni students and when they come into my room I can see them looking at my display and it being an elephant in the room. We are all good friends but they don't mention my ponies and I also don't mention them  :shocked: This pony con thing does sound tempting  :P

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »
I collect them cause I had them as a child. I did not have many but the ones that I did have I loved! I remember all the times I would go to the store with my mom and run back to the toys! Lots of good memories! I also love there colors and there nice friendly eyes! :)

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2018, 02:06:35 PM »
Why do I collect?   

Partly it's because I simply like the look of them.  The different colours are pretty and cheerful.  There's an innocence to them that so many toys today don't have. 

Deeper down though they were a big part of my childhood.   I have over dozen surgeries as a kid because my of severe Scoliosis with one side of the curve crushing my heart and on the other side crushing my right lung.   I loathed the hospital and surgeries and there were many time I wanted to die.   I also wasn't allowed to be active outside or play with kids unless it was at my house because my parents were afraid I'd fall and break or unhook one of the steel rods attached to my spine.  It happened on three occasions from falls when I didn't listen and went out running with other kids, so their worries weren't unwarranted.

I got my first pony, Gusty, from my grandmother and it started being that I got ponies as gifts from my family when I would be in hospital or going to be.  I even have a Magic Hat that a nurse brought me on a surprise visit on her day off.   Those ponies gave me something to look forward to after surgery, a new pony waiting.  I can think of Woosie, Primrose, Sundance and Applejack off the top of my head as hospital time ponies.   

Eventually I made it through all my surgeries and I was able to go out on my own and loved on Saturdays to take my new bike and find yardsales.   Of course it was to find ponies and dang, back there yard sales were gold mines for ponies.   

I'm not at age 40 and still enjoy collecting.  I have my regular every day job and normal life duties, bills etc but I also have fun hunting down new ponies or working on customs.  I still have every one of those ponies that were given to me over the years and they aren't going anywhere.  They're a part of my childhood that wasn't always easy but also bring a lot of good memories.

I got to know Kirk Hindman and his wife through mutual non-pony friends a few years back.

It was awesome to get to attend my first MLP Fair this year and see Bonnie Zacherle and hearing her presentations with her book about making ponies and she'd noted that she's met adults who told them about having ponies when they were sick or in hospital and that it meant a lot to her.  I have to admit that I felt a bit choked up listening to her talk about that and so when it was time for her photo/autograph session, I was glad to have the chance to thank her as having been one of those hospital kids in the past.  That as a child who lost the will to live, ponies were the needed escape that I needed to keep going.  There weren't any hospitals or scary needles or surgeries in that world of play.   

Ponies are a part of me and that's why I collect.  :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »
Why do I collect?   

Partly it's because I simply like the look of them.  The different colours are pretty and cheerful.  There's an innocence to them that so many toys today don't have. 

Deeper down though they were a big part of my childhood.   I have over dozen surgeries as a kid because my of severe Scoliosis with one side of the curve crushing my heart and on the other side crushing my right lung.   I loathed the hospital and surgeries and there were many time I wanted to die.   I also wasn't allowed to be active outside or play with kids unless it was at my house because my parents were afraid I'd fall and break or unhook one of the steel rods attached to my spine.  It happened on three occasions from falls when I didn't listen and went out running with other kids, so their worries weren't unwarranted.

I got my first pony, Gusty, from my grandmother and it started being that I got ponies as gifts from my family when I would be in hospital or going to be.  I even have a Magic Hat that a nurse brought me on a surprise visit on her day off.   Those ponies gave me something to look forward to after surgery, a new pony waiting.  I can think of Woosie, Primrose, Sundance and Applejack off the top of my head as hospital time ponies.   

Eventually I made it through all my surgeries and I was able to go out on my own and loved on Saturdays to take my new bike and find yardsales.   Of course it was to find ponies and dang, back there yard sales were gold mines for ponies.   

I'm not at age 40 and still enjoy collecting.  I have my regular every day job and normal life duties, bills etc but I also have fun hunting down new ponies or working on customs.  I still have every one of those ponies that were given to me over the years and they aren't going anywhere.  They're a part of my childhood that wasn't always easy but also bring a lot of good memories.

I got to know Kirk Hindman and his wife through mutual non-pony friends a few years back.

It was awesome to get to attend my first MLP Fair this year and see Bonnie Zacherle and hearing her presentations with her book about making ponies and she'd noted that she's met adults who told them about having ponies when they were sick or in hospital and that it meant a lot to her.  I have to admit that I felt a bit choked up listening to her talk about that and so when it was time for her photo/autograph session, I was glad to have the chance to thank her as having been one of those hospital kids in the past.  That as a child who lost the will to live, ponies were the needed escape that I needed to keep going.  There weren't any hospitals or scary needles or surgeries in that world of play.   

Ponies are a part of me and that's why I collect.  :)

:( :hug:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline CherryTreats

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2018, 08:38:23 AM »
I have collected them since I was a child because I found them so enchanting and magical. They brought me a lot of happiness and were a big part of my childhood. My mom would often surprise me with one randomly, when I was sick, etc. For every birthday & Christmas, I always wanted ponies. My closest friends collected them too so we were always playing with ponies. Also, I've always really loved horses, unicorns, rainbows, colorful and sparkly things and MLPs are all of those things combined.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2018, 12:48:49 PM »

THIS.

Seriously, though, that does suck. I found it hardest to be open about my collecting between the ages of about 15 and 22ish. When you get older than that people around you hopefully grow up and get over themselves a bit more. Not that it's a hard and fast rule, but I have no intention of hiding my ponies when people come to visit. One of my friends also still has her ponies back in Israel although she hasn't dug them out yet, she remembers some of them. The first place outside of my family that just accepted it was at my first job where I had ponies on my desk and one of my colleagues made a little daisy sticker for her, another gave her an L plate because I was trying to learn to drive at the time, then someone else added a welsh flag...and she became something of an office mascot. (She was one of the G3s. Pink pegasus. Forget her name but she has a gem symbol. It might be Twilight Pink?)

Agreed fully with everything here! The double standards really get me. Khoufu, I really hope that your friend either comes to accept you as you are or you can find better, more accepting friends. Have you mentioned to them what a double standard that is?
You should never feel the need to tone yourself down around people like that.

And I think that Pegasus might've been Hidden Treasure maybe?
Spoiler
I absolutely love her, she's one of my favourite G3 pegasus. :lovey: But if I have to be honest, all the G3 pegasus are so beautiful so it's hard to pick a fave, lol!

I agree on that last part so much though, and wish others would realize the same. My close friends and mother have no issue with my collecting, and understand it's just a hobby and something I have been into all my life, and when I said as a kid "I'll never grow out of toys!" I meant it, and I tend to mean what I say. :lol:
My dad, however, came to visit me for the first time in, what, six years? Maybe more? And told me he accepted and understood my hobbies to my face, but was acting weird and over the top about it, like it was some huge deal that needed serious support & acceptance in the first place- then he proceeded to get drunk as all hell and tell everyone who would listen that he has "spent some time with me" and come to the conclusion that I am stuck in a child's mind, and have serious mental issues, and that I am reverting into a childlike state, blahblahblah all this crap. :rolleyes: Just because I collect toys- because really, there's nothing else childish about me, if that even counts as "childish" in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:16:56 PM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Cloud Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
  • get all the ponies or die trying
    • View Profile
    • My Links
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2018, 08:14:36 PM »
This is kind of a hard question to answer- I've been collecting for so long, its just a part of my life now.

My first MLP thing ever... I really can't say for absolute certain, but I believe it was the G3 Ponyville Balloon House, and ever since, I have been hooked on them. I don't really know why. It may be strange to say, but they brought me so much happiness and solace as a child through hardships, and they have always been a great source of happiness. I'm one of the younger fans of MLP, but they also bring nostalgia and fond childhood memories. I keep collecting because they still bring happiness to this day, and I also really love the community. We are a good bunch, pony friends  :lovey:
☁️ Cloud Dreamer ☁️
🎀

☁️ avatar created by poniesthatsparkle ☁️

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal