collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why Do YOU Collect My Little Ponies?  (Read 10886 times)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do YOU Collect My Little Ponies?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 04:18:26 PM »
They make me happy, and lull visitors into a false sense of security before I show them the horror movie collection.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »
I think that it's still something I am more obsessive about than she is, possibly because autism makes interests more vivid.

I’m autistic as well (also diagnosed in my early 20s), and I like the way you phrased that: about interests being more “vivid”. :) That’s something I love about ASD... For most of my friends and peers, the ability to take joy in little things like toy ponies and 80s cartoons faded away as they grew older. For me, that joy is still there, and as “vivid” as ever. That’s a great gift, as far as I’m concerned. ^_^

Of course, one doesn’t have to be autistic to love toy collecting or ponies! But I do think it’s enabled me to hold on to that wonderful, childlike sense of excitement when it comes to toys and such.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 05:05:08 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 05:37:27 PM »
I think that it's still something I am more obsessive about than she is, possibly because autism makes interests more vivid.

I’m autistic as well (also diagnosed in my early 20s), and I like the way you phrased that: about interests being more “vivid”. :) That’s something I love about ASD... For most of my friends and peers, the ability to take joy in little things like toy ponies and 80s cartoons faded away as they grew older. For me, that joy is still there, and as “vivid” as ever. That’s a great gift, as far as I’m concerned. ^_^

Of course, one doesn’t have to be autistic to love toy collecting or ponies! But I do think it’s enabled me to hold on to that wonderful, childlike sense of excitement when it comes to toys and such.

Yes, this exactly :D I once explained it to someone as saying, I grew up but didn't grow out of things I grew up with. So I can enjoy books and films and such aimed at adults, but I can also still enjoy stuff aimed at children and don't see a problem with that.

I also connect very strongly to ideas and imagination and creative stuff around things. They say we have no empathy, but I have empathy for people *and* objects which apparently is not unusual for autistic folk but somewhat annoying at times. It means I can't walk by the scribbled on pony at the carboot sale without wanting to rescue her...and don't even get me started on how I feel when some food item passes its expiry date and I have to throw it out. Yes, I have apologised to expired food before.

But all this is part of the 'vivid' and I think it makes interests fun. It's not that other people can't enjoy them too and I think sometimes those people enjoy them in total other ways that maybe I can't ever reach out to - but I like being able to make that connection and thus enjoy something in depth :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 05:51:08 PM »

Yes, this exactly :D I once explained it to someone as saying, I grew up but didn't grow out of things I grew up with. So I can enjoy books and films and such aimed at adults, but I can also still enjoy stuff aimed at children and don't see a problem with that.

I also connect very strongly to ideas and imagination and creative stuff around things. They say we have no empathy, but I have empathy for people *and* objects which apparently is not unusual for autistic folk but somewhat annoying at times. It means I can't walk by the scribbled on pony at the carboot sale without wanting to rescue her...and don't even get me started on how I feel when some food item passes its expiry date and I have to throw it out. Yes, I have apologised to expired food before.

But all this is part of the 'vivid' and I think it makes interests fun. It's not that other people can't enjoy them too and I think sometimes those people enjoy them in total other ways that maybe I can't ever reach out to - but I like being able to make that connection and thus enjoy something in depth :D

I am autistic as well, and so much of this describes me.

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 06:24:44 PM »
They're just so pretty and make me smile!

Offline lockette

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • twice as fancy as you
    • View Profile
    • toylockette.tumblr
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 07:37:15 PM »
I loved my ponies growing up and always wanted more (I had 23 including babies).  now I can have as many as I want, and it's not only nostalgic (nothing smells exactly like ponies, they have a VERY specific smell to their plastic) but I feel like I'm doing something for my past self.

also I just love them for aesthetic reasons.  G3s aren't nostalgic but I thought they were SO CUTE.

and as a teen I'd always wanted some kind of serious proper collection, but nothing ever really caught me.  amassing more ponies gives that pleasurable little ping to my hoarding squirrel brain feels good, as does gazing upon my booty lined up on a shelf.  mmm dat dopamine (or seratonin? whichever chemicals give you that little "high" from collector behaviors)
:rainbow: toylockette on tumblr & instagram!
& check out g1mlp & g3mlp on tumblr!

☆☆ wish list! ☆☆ ISO baby sparkle Firefly w/ dark gold tail factory error!

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 09:22:38 PM »
I never really had mlp growing up, but I do remember my friends having them. As I developed, I wanted a career in the arts. And mlp is what eventually convinced me to create animated content. Content that’s good, and made many, many people happy. I saw how happy mlp fans are, regardless of age or what they liked. Everybody was so happy, and I guess it caught on!
I think I collect for two reasons. First is that collecting makes me happy. I love the characters of this good feels franchise. And second, as a reminder. Someday, I’m going to create something that’s just as good, and makes people just as happy as mlp does, for all people of all generations.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 01:13:09 AM »
At the risk of sounding like everyone else: ponies make me happy. I love looking at them and for them. I find their history and variations fascinating. And I really love getting a disgustingly filthy pony and 'rescuing' her. It is just so darned satisfying.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 06:25:30 AM »
I collect them because they were part of my childhood. The happier part of my life. I think also out of nostalgia. I like to look back on the "good old days of my past" Ive learned alot of things about them now I feel more knowledgeable. I also love the happiness I get from completing a set of ponies. I get excited when I get new ones too. :) I used to only have 100 when I was a kid. I think I surpassed that number and then some. I just love ponies.

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 07:27:41 AM »
I don't collect them as much anymore, but I've always been attracted to their soft colors. Just looking at a row of pastels is very pleasing to the eye and almost relaxing in a way, so that's why I enjoy them.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 08:48:00 AM »
1 part nostalgia and 1 part love. They're beautiful toys and make me happy when I see them. Especially as I have been slowly  rebuilding my childhood faves and getting all the lovely g1s and g3s, I've missed out on.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 11:51:21 AM »
I collect them because they still make me so happy! I grew up during G1 and they were my absolute favorite toy. I started collecting again after high school when G3 started, because seeing them showing up in the stores was so nostalgic for me. Very little de-stresses me quite like ponies!

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2018, 08:21:53 AM »
Everyone's reasons seem to be overwhelming similar.  Ponies just make people happy!  It gives me a real glow to share a passion for collecting such special toys with so many awesome people :)

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 12:20:57 PM »
I've loved G1 since I was a child. I had a herd of about ~15-20 as a kid. However, my parents didn't feel it was appropriate for a boy to have My Little Ponies so my time with many of them was relatively short, as my parents pushed me to get rid of them when I was 6 or 7. I kept a couple for a couple more years, and because I missed the ones I'd gotten rid of I picked up 2 more at yard sales and 1 at a store. So I guess part of the reason I collect them is about being able to enjoy something that I felt robbed of as a child.

My other reasons are the same as many others': nostalgia, I love the bright colors, etc....

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2018, 06:51:22 PM »
My cousin's were rich so I got all the hand-me-downs from my cousin who was 5 years older. When she grew out of stuff, it always came back to me. That's were 90% of my ponies came from. That began my obsession. It's an obsession that has waxed and waned throughout my years, but it's never actually gone away. From when I was born('86) until now, ponies have been there consistently. any time I saw a pony out i the wild like a flea market, garage sale, thrift store, I always bought it. My mom and I would try and hunt down MLPs, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, Littlest Pet Shop and other of my favorites. It was a huuuuge part of my pony adventure. It felt like a treasure hunt. 

They just make me so happy and I don't know why. All my friends had them growing up as well and I remember wanting them all. An insatiable need for these plastic horses.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal