collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why Do YOU Collect My Little Ponies?  (Read 10879 times)

Offline SilverLinedStars

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do YOU Collect My Little Ponies?
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2018, 04:32:13 PM »
MLP has ties to many happy memories in my life! Many of the ponies I received as gifts (and still own!) came from people who I treasured in my life, many whom have since passed away. So, sentimental reasons really. I do love they're rereleasing G1's so I picked up a Butterscotch because I loved her colors.

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2018, 05:32:44 PM »
The colors. The cheery faces. The sparkly eyes (G2s). Because I was born too soon to have them to play with as a child (and family probably wouldn’t have been able to afford many of them anyway,  but they would have been top on the wish lists for birthdays etc). My son “discovered” them (G1s; he’s not a brony), dragged me to the 2008 Fair, and, first it was “just one” as a souvenir, then, oooh this one is pretty... and, well, here we are. Books, get in your boxes; those shelves belong to MLP now :)

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2018, 08:28:31 PM »
They soothe my PTSD. That's the raw truth of it. When I get back repressed memories or I'm going through bad spells, I spend a lot of time in my pony room rehairing, making curls, taking pictures, and generally just being around the calm tender faces of smiling plastic ponies.

For a long time I carried a pony with me as a grounding technique for anxiety and panic attacks.

They help me hugely with this, depression and anxiety, as well. I usually keep a pony in my purse- on my way out, I'll grab a random baby and stick her in there in an inside side pocket or something, different baby every time.

I've been criticized and called childish, immature, unintelligent and out of touch with the world for collecting toys.
The way I've explained it to others is that I am in touch with the world, and intelligent, and mature, but the world is a hard, cruel place- it's nice to be able to escape from that and have something innocent and fun to enjoy, even if just for a while.
I will never understand why some people are so hugely critical of it.

I have PTSD, social anxiety and depression myself, and my collection of pre-loved G2s helps take me back to a time before all that, back to the days spent playing with my original herd in the 90s. I focus on collecting the ones in need of TLC because they make me happiest - the ones who have spent 20 years in a box make me sad and, in my opinion, have less personality. Haircuts and pen marks make me think "who was the child who loved this pony enough to do this?" - hence my username.  :)

This, fully, as well. ^.^ :lovey:
I wish my second-hand (or uh, "innumerable-hand") ponies could tell me their stories.
I bought a G1 lot from the UK a few months ago, all the ponies had 'Lynn' written on their hooves. I'm so curious about her.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:52:22 PM by Esbayne »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2018, 07:37:08 PM »
Nostalgia ... it has been a source of comfort in difficult times in the past  .. they’re cheerful  ... always always loved unicorns ... originally it was because I wanted to pick up the last few ponies I wanted as a kid and Mom wouldn’t let me get ... here’s to you, Rosebud and Princess Tiffany. Ironically, I never did pick up either of those two!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »

I wish my second-hand (or uh, "innumerable-hand") ponies could tell me their stories.
I bought a G1 lot from the UK a few months ago, all the ponies had 'Lynn' written on their hooves. I'm so curious about her.

I wonder this all the time too! Especially when I get ponies from other countries. I wonder what kind of places they've been to or seen that I haven't experienced and I wish they could tell me about their previous lives. It would be so interesting :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »

I wonder this all the time too! Especially when I get ponies from other countries. I wonder what kind of places they've been to or seen that I haven't experienced and I wish they could tell me about their previous lives. It would be so interesting :D

Definitely! I have a Skydancer from New Zealand.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2018, 01:53:58 PM »
For me, well.. To start, I've never lost my love of collecting and playing with toys. Never ever. Beyond that, the ponies make me happy, I think horses are cool, I really like pastel colors, the cartoons and other fiction have given me attachment to them as characters, I love the fantasy settings..

Because I want to.

No, really, because they are cute and a display of toys looks way more awesome to me in a home, rather than the stuff I see portrayed in interior decor magazines.  Buy another coffee table or "update my sofa"?  ............. why?    Change out my towels seasonally. What ?
I agree with this so much. I mean, it's one thing to rotate towels to spread the wear and free one set up for laundering. But to buy a new set every season as those mags no doubt imply? Bleck.
But also, collecting and playing with toys seems much more fun and satisfying than some of the so-called adult ways of having fun.
should be perma-moderated

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2018, 01:35:03 PM »
Pure happiness with great childhood memories! And they are adorable!
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »
When I was a kid I loved toy horses, both realistic and fantasy ones. I used to play with them all the time. Along with some Barbie horses I only had a couple of fakies that I thought were real, and I also watched the show. Later I put my toy horses down the basement when I got too old for them. Then my mom, my sister and I eventually set to work cleaning out the basement, giving away a lot of childhood toys to Salvation Army.

A little later G4 began, and I started watching it and thinking back on my childhood ponies.

Years passed and I was home from college for winter break. Christmas had always been an overwhelming affair for my family, and what I did to relieve stress was clean. This time I had decided to clean out my closet, it acted as a storage that was about to burst. Lo and behold, way in the back at the end of my cleaning session I happened upon my box of childhood ponies, the very ones I was sure I had donated way back when. Apparently my mom had convinced me not to give them away with everything else. She knew they held more sentimental value compared to other toys, and were something that belonged to me alone, since I shared most toys with my sister.

I was hit with such a strong wave of nostalgia, finding them after believing I had donated them years ago. I had never experienced this kind of feeling before.

They weren't in the best of conditions so I cleaned them up, and after the reunion I began collecting G1 ponies and some fakies! The end.

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2018, 07:04:34 PM »
When I was a kid I loved toy horses, both realistic and fantasy ones. I used to play with them all the time. Along with some Barbie horses I only had a couple of fakies that I thought were real, and I also watched the show. Later I put my toy horses down the basement when I got too old for them. Then my mom, my sister and I eventually set to work cleaning out the basement, giving away a lot of childhood toys to Salvation Army.

A little later G4 began, and I started watching it and thinking back on my childhood ponies.

Years passed and I was home from college for winter break. Christmas had always been an overwhelming affair for my family, and what I did to relieve stress was clean. This time I had decided to clean out my closet, it acted as a storage that was about to burst. Lo and behold, way in the back at the end of my cleaning session I happened upon my box of childhood ponies, the very ones I was sure I had donated way back when. Apparently my mom had convinced me not to give them away with everything else. She knew they held more sentimental value compared to other toys, and were something that belonged to me alone, since I shared most toys with my sister.

I was hit with such a strong wave of nostalgia, finding them after believing I had donated them years ago. I had never experienced this kind of feeling before.

They weren't in the best of conditions so I cleaned them up, and after the reunion I began collecting G1 ponies and some fakies! The end.

That is a very good story :) What a special moment! I keep on hoping I will randomly come across my childhood ponies, but there is less and less of the basement left unturned as the years pass by, lol.

Offline Silver Letter

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2018, 10:53:39 PM »
Well, it's not a part of my childhood or anything like that. I just like collecting. It sort of runs in the family, so to speak. Personally, I adore collecting ponies. It's a cute hobby and I think they're special and collectable. Some people might not get it, but it doesn't matter. I think I'll keep on collecting for years to come.

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2018, 06:18:18 AM »
-snipped!-

That is a very good story :) What a special moment! I keep on hoping I will randomly come across my childhood ponies, but there is less and less of the basement left unturned as the years pass by, lol.

I hope you find your ponies! :o

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2018, 05:38:17 AM »

I love this so much, I always think about how much some of my G1s could have seen over the past 30 or so years, they don't have feelings obviously but if they did would they miss their old owners, do they wish they were still played with?

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2018, 06:35:23 AM »

I love this so much, I always think about how much some of my G1s could have seen over the past 30 or so years, they don't have feelings obviously but if they did would they miss their old owners, do they wish they were still played with?

I always liked to think that after a pony has been loved and played with and ultimately makes it into the home of a collector, it's like their 'retirement'. Being a toy of a child was sort of like their job and now they get to enjoy a nice easy life out at 'pasture'  :lovey:

As for the reason I collect: I love the colorful personality and designs the ponies have, and they help me keep in touch with the kindness and innocence of my childhood. They bring a calming, happy, warm feeling to the room whenever they're there. I just can't help but smile whenever I see one. I struggle a lot with anxiety and I have a hard time connecting with others unless we have a common interest (I've been told I likely have some form of high-functioning autism by a few parents who've also had autistic children, but I have no desire to get it diagnosed). Ponies have been one of those helpful outlets for me that helps me connect with other people and gives me confidence. It drives me to go out of the house, even out of my comfort zone entirely, to find them in the wild and talk to others who enjoy them the same way I do.

Also, I've loved horses since the moment I knew what they were. When I was a toddler we lived next to a property that had two horses and we'd always go over to visit them and bring them apples (with the owner's permission, of course). My mom was a Breyer collector so I naturally inherited some of hers, but being an artistic child I think I was drawn to MLP because of all the pretty colors and designs. I found out about them because my parents got me the G2 PC game which I played daily, and I got my first physical My Little Pony when I was five or six (I have a late birthday so I can't remember) and I absolutely loved everything about her. The love of horses played a big role in my pony obsession.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:42:16 AM by dakotadarkhooves »

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2018, 04:11:27 AM »

I always liked to think that after a pony has been loved and played with and ultimately makes it into the home of a collector, it's like their 'retirement'. Being a toy of a child was sort of like their job and now they get to enjoy a nice easy life out at 'pasture'  :lovey:

The pony comic would retire older characters to a place called Memory Lane, and occasionally they'd appear from here or be visited there (Tootsie I remember in particular). So I guess in a way our collections are 'Memory Lane' - where the ponies go when the kids grow up and move on to other things.

My collection is really multinational now and I sometimes wish I had a map where I could have marked all the places I got ponies from over the years. I have them from all over the US and Canada, all over the Uk and Europe, from NZ and Australia, Mexico, Brazil, Peru...even a couple from Singapore that were sent to me by a friend. And I have one Tropical Breeze who was bought by an American girl in London when on holiday. When she sold her ponies she sold Tropi with the UK box and stuff so I bought her and asked her story. It's so cool to me that she started her life here, went to America, played with American ponies, and now is back in the UK. She's part of my mini-Tropi army because I do actually know her story. :)

I don't think that pony collecting is immature or unintelligent. I feel sorry for people who feel that way. It's perfectly possible to be an adult and understand the real world and its problems and challenges and still love plastic ponies from your childhood. I'm really glad they're a part of my life, even though to the outside world they'd just be seen as an 'autistic obsession'...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal