collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why Do YOU Collect My Little Ponies?  (Read 10971 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do YOU Collect My Little Ponies?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2018, 08:29:17 AM »
Nostalgia for the most part. The other parts are cuteness factor and my love for restoration and toy design.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »
Because I want to.

No, really, because they are cute and a display of toys looks way more awesome to me in a home, rather than the stuff I see portrayed in interior decor magazines.  Buy another coffee table or "update my sofa"?  ............. why?    Change out my towels seasonally. What ?
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2018, 01:39:38 PM »
Definitely nostalgia - I set out to collect ponies in order to replace my childhood favourites, which I have mostly succeeded in doing and they do bring back some nice memories, even though they're not my actual childhood ponies. I find them quite relaxing as well, with their fun colours and cute designs; seeing as I've tried to make my surroundings at home nice and dreamy, the ponies tie into that really well. :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2018, 01:48:31 PM »
Because I want to.

No, really, because they are cute and a display of toys looks way more awesome to me in a home, rather than the stuff I see portrayed in interior decor magazines.  Buy another coffee table or "update my sofa"?  ............. why?    Change out my towels seasonally. What ?

I don't understand the people who do that.

I put it down as one of the mysteries of society that I will never fathom out.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 04:23:31 AM »
Because I want to.

I don't understand the people who do that.

I put it down as one of the mysteries of society that I will never fathom out.

It's marketing, pure and simple. I doubt if it's as widespread as those mags would have you believe.

and as for changing out towels, that's hilarious - so I change one set of slightly scruffy old white towels for another set of slightly scruffy old white towels?      yeah right, I'll have to remember to do that :) :)

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 04:46:29 AM »
I aked that myself recently. Thinked of how my life was not interresting these days and then, it hits me:

Because collecting is keeping me safe from boredom. Simple as "you'll never be happy if you've got nothing you want to archieve". It's always a good vibes to go hunting everywhere you go like flea market, thrift shop, etc. and hunting on internet also. Then you've got the pleasure to get a box to open in your mail, that's always a moment of joy and delight.
Also it feels satisfying to add new stuffs on your shelves.
And in the end it keeps my creativity in as I play with and took pictures also, spending time thinking of what to do next.

I bet if I choose ponies (and other horses stuffs) it's because of nostalgia and my love of horses as well.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:48:24 AM by ColdRuru »

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2018, 08:36:32 PM »
I was a 90s kid and my mom babysat 80s kids. I always wanted their toys, so we'd pick them up at thrift stores when I was little. Ponies are something that I just never stopped collecting, simple as that.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 03:27:10 PM »
Because they were my childhood toy and because I love colour!
Plus, I am a collector of nostalgia. :)

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 06:06:35 PM »
There's a lot of nostalgia for MLP for me, but a lot of it is that I'm just hardwired to collect things.  MLP is by far my biggest and longest collection, but it's not the only one.  I am a collector, and that's just who I am.  My choice to aim that at MLP has a lot to do with my love of MLP as a child.  If you look at it a certain way, MLP was probably my first collection.  I played with them since they were my favorite toys, but I did have more than any child really needed to play with at one time.  By the time I "outgrew" ponies, I probably had about 100 of them, and most of the USA released playsets. 

I *loved* MLP as a child, and that has carried into adulthood for me.  I grew up with ponies, and the second I discovered the internet when I got to college, they were the first things I looked up.  I've been an adult pony collector for 20+ years now, and I don't see it ending any time soon.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 09:42:08 PM »
They soothe my PTSD. That's the raw truth of it. When I get back repressed memories or I'm going through bad spells, I spend a lot of time in my pony room rehairing, making curls, taking pictures, and generally just being around the calm tender faces of smiling plastic ponies.

For a long time I carried a pony with me as a grounding technique for anxiety and panic attacks.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 11:57:43 PM »
They soothe my PTSD. That's the raw truth of it. When I get back repressed memories or I'm going through bad spells, I spend a lot of time in my pony room rehairing, making curls, taking pictures, and generally just being around the calm tender faces of smiling plastic ponies.

For a long time I carried a pony with me as a grounding technique for anxiety and panic attacks.

I do the very same things when my anxiety and panic disorders act up... Sometimes just holding a toy pony and combing its mane is the most calming thing in the world.  :)
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2018, 01:28:06 AM »
I collect them, just like everyone else, because they make me happy! Also for the aesthetics!
(altho I do kind of get the seasonal towel thing... but maybe I'm not doing it like the mags. I don't read them xD But I like [season] themed colours on things throughout the house xD for instance we have two dishes we use for like, nuts or other snacks shaped like autumn maple leaves, that we only use in autumn. And I prefer pastels on hand towels in the bathroom in spring xD )
Honestly, I have so many reasons why now that i think of it. Other than what i said above, I love the thrill of pony hunting in the wild. I love restoring and fixing up sad ponies. I adore the community here, and that's something that's brought me back into collecting when I've been in a pony rut on multiple occasions. And I'm sure I can think of more reasons, but basically, I just love ponies, haha.

They help me with my PTSD (and multiple other disorders) too. They were a huge help with coping through the past abusive relationship -that is a big part of my ptsd -while it happened, too. Playing with their hair or even smelling them is so soothing.
At times when i'm doing really bad I just sit in front of my shelves and look at them , especially my collector's pose ponies, and they all seem to have that 'we understand, and it will be okay' look in their eyes. Maybe I'm being super weird here, but legit forever thankful for ponies!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2018, 09:24:15 PM »
There's a lot of nostalgia for MLP for me, but a lot of it is that I'm just hardwired to collect things.  MLP is by far my biggest and longest collection, but it's not the only one.  I am a collector, and that's just who I am.  My choice to aim that at MLP has a lot to do with my love of MLP as a child.
I *loved* MLP as a child, and that has carried into adulthood for me.
This applies to me, too. Collecting/hoarding runs in my dad's side of the family so I'm hardwired to do it too. I collect several things, enough so that my friend got me a figurine of the Collector from Guardians of the Galaxy cuz he said I'm "the Collector" in his eyes.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline haircutsandhighlighters

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2018, 05:40:54 AM »
I have PTSD, social anxiety and depression myself, and my collection of pre-loved G2s helps take me back to a time before all that, back to the days spent playing with my original herd in the 90s. I focus on collecting the ones in need of TLC because they make me happiest - the ones who have spent 20 years in a box make me sad and, in my opinion, have less personality. Haircuts and pen marks make me think "who was the child who loved this pony enough to do this?" - hence my username.  :)

Offline SwirlyWhirly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Born in the year of the My Little Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2018, 08:47:12 AM »
To keep a part of my childhood with me as an adult. MLP are colorful, fun and magical and I think it's nice to spend some time on something like that in all the seriousness of adult life. Restoring ponies is my adult version of playing with ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal