collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Before you knew their correct names-!  (Read 4560 times)

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Before you knew their correct names-!
« on: May 07, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »
There were several ponies in my youth that came to me second hand so I had no idea what their names were. My Speedy, who I only had because my mom made me cut off her horn, was a boy named Matches. I guess I was inspired by the barbies around at the time who had sparks flying from their iridescent roller blades? Weird I know.

My Sunspot, also a boy, was often called Blaze or SolarFlare.

I'm curious what you guys often called ponies that you had who you didn't know their real names.

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
Re: Before you knew their correct names-!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 04:13:35 PM »
Poor Speedy! Why did your mom make you chop off her horn?  :cry:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 04:21:24 PM »

Hyper super ridiculously religious christian household- no offense to other Christians out there. My parents were strict.

Offline BubbleTea

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 04:27:07 PM »

Hyper super ridiculously religious christian household- no offense to other Christians out there. My parents were strict.

Hmmm I see. Were Pegasus ponies allowed or were they just too awesome?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:37:13 PM by BubbleTea »
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 04:32:42 PM »
Most of mine were literal interpretations of the pony's symbol, but a few are just kind of out in left field... I probably wouldn't even remember them today if I hadn't written them down.   Yikes @ poor Speedy's horn removal.  Your parents sound terrifying.

Baby Waddles - Flip
Baby Princess Sparkle - Crystal
Baby Sweetsteps - Taisie
Baby Sweet Celebrations - Tufty (named for his untameable hair! Hah!)
Daddy Sweet Celebrations - Ribbons
Mommy Sweet Celebrations - Comie
Baby Quackers - Duckie
Jabber & Jebber - Tipsy & Topsy
Puddles & Peeks - Dixie & Trixie
Rattles (of Rattles & Tattles, Tattles was stolen. :C ) - Bunny
High Flyer - Dragonfly
Glory - Star Streak
Moondancer - Star Gazer
Sugarberry - Strawberry
Locket - Trinket
Powder - Powderpuff
Cuteasaurus - Dina
Windy - Swirly
Cotton Candy - Dapple (? can't quite remember what I called her, I think this is right.)

Kept their original names: Baby Cuddles, Applejack, Blossom, Lucky, Spike, Buzzer, Princess Sparkle, Baby Ribbon, Hoppy & Baby Pockets.
No name/don't remember: Baby Lofty, Baby Shady, Baby Hearthrob, Baby Tiddley-Winks, Boysenberry Pie, Baby Sleepy Pie, Best Wishes, Party Time, Baby Frosting, Water Lily, Yum Yum, Celebrate, Little Whiskers
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:36:40 PM by Baby Sugarberry »
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 05:45:16 PM »
Baby Yo Yo was baby Whizzy when I found her.

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 05:58:23 PM »

Hmmm I see. Were Pegasus ponies allowed or were they just too awesome?

I literally hid them. Princess Tiffany, Firefly, some newborn twins- My grandparents went to garage sales and would give me bags of them, sometimes before my parents could go through them

Baby Sugarberry, some of those names I like a lot better than the originals! Baby Princess Sparkle Would have been better as Crystal I think, Start streak, Tipsy and Topsy? Adorable!

Offline Esbayne

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »
I love this topic idea! <3 I've noticed almost every pony collector has had ponies before they didn't know the names for. My childhood ponies were G1 and G3.
Some were G1s given to me by my aunt that she forgot the names for, or some were G3s that I forgot to look at the packaging for before I ripped them open in excitement. :lol:

Baby Sunsparkle I called Baby Brightheart
Jewel Blossom I called Gem Blossom (pretty close! I was impressed when I found that out lmao!)
Star Swirl I called Blizzard
Doodles and Noodles I called Alpha and Bittle (weird, I know :lol: I think those are what my aunt told me they were?)
Tropical Breeze was Flamingo
Ember was sometimes Star I think? She was usually a backgrounder anyway
Baby Gusty was usually Maple Leaf
Princess Tiffany was Duchess
Forsythia I could never remember the name of so I always called her Blossom or something random until I finally looked her up and wrote her name on a sticky note and stuck it to my pony shelf
Butterpop was Regal Theatre
Keenbean was Jellybean

I knew all the rest of their names and then for when I didn't, I found a pony identifier machine online somehow and used that. I don't think it exists anymore because I've tried to find it so many times and can't anymore. For gens 1-3 you could pop in their gen, color, pose, symbol or something in that order and it'd tell you who it was. I found it in the early 2000's- around 5th grade or so for me I stopped being able to find it? Maybe 2009? I think it was called the MLP ID Machine. I know one exists on MyLittleWiki but it is very different than the one I used- maybe they changed how it works? No idea.
So because of this my best friend had a lot of ponies she didn't know the names for either so we'd make up names for them.

Denim Blue was Posey Pocket
Tropical Surprise was Tropical Breeze (again pretty close!)
Blossomforth was a boy rockstar? xD and his name was Blue Flower (I think- my friend came up with him)
Baby Glory was Comet
Baby Moondancer was Starbeam I believe

I know there were probably others, and I had a few other friends over the years that always had random names for their ponies too, but I can't remember what they were. Most of my friends over all the years as a kid actually never knew their ponies' names and they were always random, one friend of a friend actually just played with them like regular horses. xD

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 07:35:33 PM »
Almost all my ponies when I was a kid were either from thrift stores or trades from friends in exchange for other toys. So for a long time I had no idea they came with names. I thought the point of My Little Pony was the idea that it was your little pony, so you get to name it. The only names I can remember for sure was WigWam was "TeePee". I think I called Bowtie "Bluebow". And I'm pretty sure I called Starshine "Sunny" and *his* girlfriend Parasol I called "Rainy" or "Raindops" or something of the sort. Because Sun and Rain make rainbows - hence the matching hair. They were the only two rainbow ponies I had.

It's still hard for me to remember exactly what ponies I had. I think Sugarberry got passed around between my friends in multiple trades, and I'm almost certain we called her "Strawberries". Big surprise there. I bet most kids did that.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 07:45:15 PM »
Sunnybunch-Cassidy
Blushie-Bouquet
Baby Starflower-Baby Starburst

Even though I knew there names, I called Sweet Pop- Popsicle and Salty-Tugboat and I call Hula Hula-Kalea. I also prefer 4-Speed by his UK name, Trucker.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:47:29 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline mewthemew

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 07:52:48 PM »
Glory=Arrowhead
SweetSparkle=SugarDancer
Port-o-Bella=Spore
ButterPop(Just recently before I had acces to the internet to check, so just a placeholder name until she was identified)=G3 Caramel Crunch
SugarBerry=Strawberries
G4 Playskool Daisy Dreams=Cheerilee (I still hold by my decision because she looks almost identical to Cheerilee)
Scooter Sprite=Toola Roola (Only because the mark wasn't visible in the Ebay lot picture and I legit thought there was one Scooter Sprite, and one really early Toola Roola)

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 08:26:04 PM »
Powder - Snowflake
Baby Cuddles - Rattle
Sweet Tooth - Lollipop
Baby Quackers - Ducky
Milkweed and Tumbleweed were Rocking horse and Rocker or something like that
Pink Dreams - Kitty
Sleepy Head was Pajamas and I don't remember what we called Sleep Tight
Romper - Bunny
Baby Noddins - Hoppy
Baby Graffiti - Crayon
Buzzer - Bumblebee
Lady Flutter - Ladybug
Little Flitter - Hummingbird
Baby Countdown - Rocket
Baby Shaggy - Teddy

That's all I remember so everyone else either had their proper name or I can't remember right now. They're all pretty basic based on their symbols.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 02:41:27 AM »
I knew the proper names because of the comic. However, when we began carbooting we did find some ponies not sold here, so we gave them very silly and basic names.

German Skydancer - Seagull
Baby Leaper - Froggy
Pink Dreams - Kitty..something. I can't remember >< Had names for the twins from that set too but don't remember either one right now.
Diamond Dreams was another one but I can't remember what we called her without checking my notebook to see.

My sister called Baby Ribbons and Hearts "Baby Christmas". I don't know why. She got her in July in an unmarked bag from Partners and we had no idea who she was, so.

I also named my white club newborn Beauty. It's really hard to not list ones for sale under that name even though it's only the name I gave her ;)

I still use UK names because I grew up with them. For me whenever a UK person uses a US pony name they're still not using the proper names of the ponies ;) I find it sad how many UK folk don't even know the real UK names for ponies, but sadder still for those who grew up with the UK names and yet still use the US ones.

The horn cutting off bothers me. It bothers me because basically it's superstition about magic, but gets dressed up by the people who do it as protecting Christian values.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 02:45:26 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 04:58:13 AM »
I gave quite literal names to my childhood ponies as well, except for Majesty, although I've no idea how on earth I actually knew her name!
Posey - Tulips
Baby Strawberry Fair - Strawberries
Baby Up, Up and Away - Balloons
And completely out of left field, Cherries Jubilee was called Magoo, to suit his role as an evil hypnotist.
There were more ponies in my herd, I just can't remember what names they had.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:04:57 AM by Miniature Sheep »

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 05:17:28 AM »
I knew the proper names because of the comic. However, when we began carbooting we did find some ponies not sold here, so we gave them very silly and basic names.

German Skydancer - Seagull
Baby Leaper - Froggy
Pink Dreams - Kitty..something. I can't remember >< Had names for the twins from that set too but don't remember either one right now.
Diamond Dreams was another one but I can't remember what we called her without checking my notebook to see.

My sister called Baby Ribbons and Hearts "Baby Christmas". I don't know why. She got her in July in an unmarked bag from Partners and we had no idea who she was, so.

I also named my white club newborn Beauty. It's really hard to not list ones for sale under that name even though it's only the name I gave her ;)

I still use UK names because I grew up with them. For me whenever a UK person uses a US pony name they're still not using the proper names of the ponies ;) I find it sad how many UK folk don't even know the real UK names for ponies, but sadder still for those who grew up with the UK names and yet still use the US ones.

The horn cutting off bothers me. It bothers me because basically it's superstition about magic, but gets dressed up by the people who do it as protecting Christian values.
I thought unicorns were in the bible
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal