collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Show me your unicorns turned into earth ponies.  (Read 6075 times)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Show me your unicorns turned into earth ponies.
« on: May 06, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
All my years in the pony community, I've seen pictures of adding horns to non-unicorns but I can't remember seeing photos of unicorns turned into earth ponies other than our Hasbro produced Dance and Prance ponies.

If you cut off a horn, can you heat something hot to melt and smooth out the plastic, or sand the plastic smooth on the forehead?
Then, could you (or has anyone) then extended the hairline down to create a forelock and possibly hide the scar of where a horn had been?

I'm not attempting this as I'm not in to customizing myself, but it's a thought i had and I'm curious if anyone out there has made custom Earth ponies from unicorns.
Thanks
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your unicorns turned into earth ponies.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 03:15:33 PM »
I have a TAF Milky Way who had her horn removed (I'll try to remember and get a photo!), and I think it won't work to sand down the horn, unless it's a G4. Because the ponies are hollow, there's a small bubble/hollow in the base of the horn, and so even though the horn is 90% solid plastic, it's not 100%, so sanding it down would still leave a big hole in the pony's forehead. I've seen some folks cover the hole up with gems or other decorations!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 03:47:13 AM »
You know how their are religious fanatics who want to ban Harry Potter for it's use of magic and wizardry? Well in the 90's there was a similar period where people were anti-unicorn because of the same magic argument. Some people would throw away their kids' toy unicorns or cut the horns off to be normal horses. If you find a pony who is meant to be a unicorn but has the horn removed, it is possible that it is a anti-magic survivor. It's really very sad.

On top of that, I've seen many Powders with loose horns or no horn at all. I've found one myself and it doesn't feel as strong as it should be. I suspect this could be due to not enough vinyl plastic coating the horn part of the mould or a thinner consistency being used as I don't recall ever seeing a Sky Flier with the same problem even though Sky Flier and Powder are the first two ponies in that pose and in the same set. It doesn't affect all Powders but I don't know of any other pony so frequently having this problem.
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 12:12:08 PM »
Moondancer had no symbol other than a faint outline of a few stars, and her horn was mangled. So I’ve been SLOWLY turning her into an adult Princess Sparkle when I have free time(which is scarce these days for me). I used polymer clay to make a 3d Star symbol to cover the gaping hole in her head.
Spoiler

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 12:14:36 PM »
I don't have the former unicorns but I realized that a broken horn g1 pony is perfect for a custom tempest shadow (movie) g4 custom
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize the horn was hollow too.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 03:54:31 PM »
You know how their are religious fanatics who want to ban Harry Potter for it's use of magic and wizardry? Well in the 90's there was a similar period where people were anti-unicorn because of the same magic argument. Some people would throw away their kids' toy unicorns or cut the horns off to be normal horses. If you find a pony who is meant to be a unicorn but has the horn removed, it is possible that it is a anti-magic survivor. It's really very sad.

On top of that, I've seen many Powders with loose horns or no horn at all. I've found one myself and it doesn't feel as strong as it should be. I suspect this could be due to not enough vinyl plastic coating the horn part of the mould or a thinner consistency being used as I don't recall ever seeing a Sky Flier with the same problem even though Sky Flier and Powder are the first two ponies in that pose and in the same set. It doesn't affect all Powders but I don't know of any other pony so frequently having this problem.

Welcome to my childhood :c seriously I cried every time they made me throw one out or cut off their horn

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 11:56:00 PM »
Oh my! D: I've been wondering about this unicorn thing!
I came across a comment on a link someone posted to pictures of TY Beanie Boos (I want to call them Beanie Babies still blegh) of various animals and all of them had horns on them. There was a lion unicorn specifically and someone commented that they wished they could get these but unicorns are banned in their household after a "certain incident" - someone asked them what and they politely declined to answer as their family has been severely shamed/ridiculed/outcast for it before. I've been wondering what the unicorns did for so long!!!
I wasn't raised religiously and no one in my family was ever really religious so I'm quite ignorant on a lot of things like that. With the anti-magic thing, it makes so much sense now!
The poor unicorns though! And my condolences to anyone who was forced to de-horn their unicorns! :yikes:

I'm very grateful for my parents who pretty much let me have free reign on interests and continue to do so/encourage me.

I've never seen a horn-less unicorn at second hand shops before, but I just moved a couple weeks ago and there are TONS of antique shops/flea markets here, all over the place! (I mean, all over the place but scattered- I'm out in the middle of nowhere in a forest, very smalls towns kind of peppered around) The big outdoor flea markets are going to be opening soon and I've been slowly checking out all the antique shops I can find.
I will keep my eyes peeled for potential anti-magic survivor ponies! (And ponies in general...!  :lol: I'm hoping to find some, this is Kentucky, tons of horses and horse lovers out here!)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:59:19 PM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 01:01:39 AM »
Wow, we never had that here that I am aware of... must have been hectic. What I do tend to find is ponies who have had their horns chomped. Funnily enough one of those is TAF Milky Way. I made her a new horn  :)

@ KottonKandy - love what you are doing there, your pony is going to look awesome when you are done! Please don't forget to share.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 12:53:55 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize the horn was hollow too.

It's not fully hollow, only at the very bottom :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 04:19:40 PM »
I had to battle my religious family on the unicorn thing too. I LOVED unicorns as a kid and my mom didn't make me chop off any horns but she was uncomfortable with them and magic. My Grandma is the worst. I ended up researching and found that unicorns are mentioned in the King James version of the bible so I directed them to the passages and that ended that fight. I'm so sorry for those of you that had your unicorn's horns removed or had to hide your toys. It's so sad. I did have to hide my Sailor Moon collection because my mom thought it was a cult. So ridiculous.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 06:21:15 PM »
I had to battle my religious family on the unicorn thing too. I LOVED unicorns as a kid and my mom didn't make me chop off any horns but she was uncomfortable with them and magic. My Grandma is the worst. I ended up researching and found that unicorns are mentioned in the King James version of the bible so I directed them to the passages and that ended that fight. I'm so sorry for those of you that had your unicorn's horns removed or had to hide your toys. It's so sad. I did have to hide my Sailor Moon collection because my mom thought it was a cult. So ridiculous.

I have always love the unicorns in my collection but Pegasus are my favorite.  I do have a unicorn G1 that has no horn and I turned her into a custom.  She has a new life as a character from Game of Thrones.

The unicorn mentioned in the Bible has long been debated by Biblical scholars and the general thought is that the creature mentioned in the Bible as a unicorn was most likely a rhinoceros as this animal fit the behaviors of the unicorn as described in the Bible.  I was in fact not a horse like animal at all most probably since it could not be tamed to plow as that is mentioned.  It could have also been a dinosaur like animal I guess or maybe something that died off we know nothing about.  It is one of those fun mysteries that no one will ever know for sure, but I am pretty sure they are right that it was not a mythological creature.   Some Rhinoceros have two horns and some one and since I have no idea of the biological background of Rhinos I can certain see where this animal can't be tamed and not really useful to man but more just useful in the animal kingdom.   :biggrin:  I came from a Christian family and this unicorn issue was never really taught in my home or church.  So, it must be certain faith groups that worry about unicorns.  Last I looked they had not taken over the world yet. ^.^
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:32:30 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 07:02:38 PM »

I've had this happen with a Sky Flier, so it's probably endemic to the pose.  Not every one ends up with poor vinyl thickness in the horn, but there are some.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 02:14:06 AM »
Goodness, reading about this religion-and-unicorns business makes me so glad my immediate family are laid-back about religion! Especially given the fact that I've been obsessed with all things pertaining to magic and witchcraft since I was six years old!

My gf's childhood Twirler spent about 15 years with no horn, though not because of any religious beliefs. She was the chief magician of my gf's childhood herd and worked magic by "twirling her magic horn" (I think this phrase appeared a lot in pony annuals and storybooks). All that twirling eventually resulted in her horn coming right off! It then fell down inside her body. Luckily, during the Great Pony Restoration of 2014 we were able to get it out and glue it back on.

More recently, I acquired a very chewed-up Majesty with only a partial horn. I did my best to glitz her up with some Swarovski crystals: https://imgur.com/a/CTQ6nwu As I got her before the MLP film brought us Tempest, we now joke about her having a broken horn 'before it was cool'.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 05:47:52 AM »
Ask and thou shall receive.
I cut all the way in and sculpied the hole.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal