collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Whitened neck glue?  (Read 493 times)

Offline MusicCat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
Whitened neck glue?
« on: May 20, 2018, 05:29:23 PM »
I found a few G3s this morning at a flea market and washed them up when I got home. Dawn dish soap wash, 100% acetone nail polish remover for sticky gunk and tougher spots, then a plain water rinse and hair conditioner. I let the conditioner sit for a little while and when I went to rinse, my ponies had a white ring around their necks that definitely wasn't there before! I washed out the conditioner and ran an acetone soaked cotton swab over the white spots but it didn't budge. I'm thinking it's the neck glue, but I've never seen glue turn white before, only yellow. Paradise Palms also has a little bit of the white mystery around her symbol. Does anybody have some sort of idea as to what may have happened? :huh:

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Whitened neck glue?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »
There is really no need to use acetone in a general clean-up...  It's a bit strong of a chemical! 

I suspect that the acetone has discolored the glue, yes, since G3 neck glue is slightly clear to begin with...  same thing with the symbol... acetone isn't meant to get near painted or glued areas because it can interact with the other chemicals.... 

I'd stick with the Dawn soap as a body treatment... anything stronger can be affecting your ponies at the molecular level...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline MusicCat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 05:57:16 PM »
Ok, thank you for the tip! I've always seen acetone listed on cleaning tutorials and such, but I'll look for a better alternative.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 08:36:33 PM »
Yeah, you should probably stay away from acetone for regular wash. There really isn't any need, and it can damage ponies rather than help.

My guess here is that it 'scratched' the surface. Acetone can eat away at certain plastics and glue among other things, leaving them with a melted, rough surface that looks like it was thouroughly scratched. This can turn transparent things opaque. I'm guessing that's what happened to the glue here. Though I have no idea. It could be the conditioner or something else. The acetone would only affect the glue if you put it on there, though.

Not sure how to repair it. You could paint or sand it, maybe?

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 05:33:52 AM »
I wonder if you could sand it off... (sand paper from a hobby store, nothing from the hardware store).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal