collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What were your pony misconceptions?  (Read 19628 times)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What were your pony misconceptions?
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »
My weirdest misconception was about winger ponies! Summerwing/Windy Wing, I mean! I thought, okay, so these guys are probably about the size of an adult G1, right? Maybe a little shorter! I didn't know how TINY they actually were, and how they can basically fit in the palm of your hand! They're so precious and small, I love them!! :heart:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2018, 03:05:14 PM »
Maybe this is another example of my colour fussy eyes...but Medley and Ember are totally different colours in that picture.

Yes.  They are different colors.  I was not saying they were the same color. I was saying that the short haired Medley was closer to Ember than the curly haired Medley is, which was nearly an exact match for Mirror Mirror.

Also keep in mind monitors and calibration and all that. I kind of feel like I have to go buy a bunch of Medleys to get my point across now. That the short haired one is slightly bluer than the curly haired one, a difference I've noted since 1984 (So I'm not just basing this on old ponies that may have faded), so if you get ponies who have not yellowed you will see a noticeable difference. It's even more noticeable in tungsten light.

Edit: I found one seller who was selling multiples, so presumably the lighting conditions are close-ish, but obviously not perfect. Middle two are long haired. The top row right two, the long haired and short haired ones next to each other, most clearly show the difference, and have the closest to identical lighting conditions.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:12:23 PM by flutterscotch »

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2018, 03:54:15 PM »
That G1's with white hair/white streak might have actually had pink hair/pink streak.    I keep finding new ponies that I didn't realize were supposed to have pink in the mane. The standard ones I know, but I discovered a few surprises recently.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »
That G1's with white hair/white streak might have actually had pink hair/pink streak.    I keep finding new ponies that I didn't realize were supposed to have pink in the mane. The standard ones I know, but I discovered a few surprises recently.
It's funny you say that.  I somehow never saw Posey as a younger child, not in person. The first one I came across had white hair and white tulips (it had been outside for a long time, it was falling apart, the plastic was CRACKED, and the person wanted $15 for it. Um no.) and by the time Dream Valley had rolled around to identify things, I was very disappointed to learn she was supposed to be pink.  To this day my only Posey is one I found with white hair and white tulips that I dyed slightly more yellow.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2018, 05:22:06 PM »
Re: Medley.  This is why I said that this might be more a matter of perception.  Medley is a shade between "obviously blue" and "obviously green."  Where is the line where someone will label her blue over green or vice versa?  That line for one person might be different from another person.

Also, it makes a difference what you are comparing her to.  If you compare her to an "obviously blue" pony then it's easy to see that she is greener.  But if you compare her to something "obviously green", such as her own hair, then it's easy to say that her body is bluer.  I think this is how I tend to think of her.  She has obviously green hair with a bluer body (in comparison to her hair.)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2018, 05:38:28 PM »

Me too.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2018, 01:10:19 AM »
Re: Medley.  This is why I said that this might be more a matter of perception.  Medley is a shade between "obviously blue" and "obviously green."  Where is the line where someone will label her blue over green or vice versa?  That line for one person might be different from another person.

Also, it makes a difference what you are comparing her to.  If you compare her to an "obviously blue" pony then it's easy to see that she is greener.  But if you compare her to something "obviously green", such as her own hair, then it's easy to say that her body is bluer.  I think this is how I tend to think of her.  She has obviously green hair with a bluer body (in comparison to her hair.)

This.

People often generalise shades between blue and green as the one which it most resembles to them. It;'s entirely subjective and totally without formal right or wrong answers.

In short, no matter how many Medleys anyone buys, I am never going to see her as blue. That doesn't mean other people shouldn't see her as blue. It's just perception.

It's not about monitors, either. I own both Medley y2 (loose and MOC) and y3 and I own blue Ember. i've had doubles of the y2 one in lots over the years even though she wasn't sold here, too. They're not remotely alike to me, but my eyes are very colour detail specific to the point I annoy people by splitting hairs on shades. So I don't always trust that what I see as a distinction is actually a distinction in the bigger picture. However, in this case, they're extremely different, not just slightly, so it's worth mentioning.

Ember is blue, unless she's suffered sundamage or discolouration, in which case she goes greener. So to resolve the issue of Ember vs Medley requires proving that Ember is as blue as she should be and Medley is still her original shade as well (as she can get bluer with sundamage! Yay for plastic!)

So yeah. In summary, Medley is not blue to me, but if she's blue to you, great :) She is bluer than Y3 Medley, who is definitely more green...but that doesn't make her comparable in my opinion with properly blue ponies.

Re: fading hair - Still struggling to persuade people that Skyflier and Twist have pale pink streaks...at least my MOC ones both do >.>
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline strawberrypony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2018, 12:28:02 AM »
When I was a tween I thought the g1 Chocolate Delight was the original of the g3 Fizzy Pop, I didnt have internet back then so my only reference was the ponies I had so I ended up thinking a lot were younger or older versions of themselves. I tried haha  :P I didnt figure it out until I got dial up internet back in the day and discovered pony websites later
:hope: ponies make for a happy day

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2018, 06:14:39 AM »
My biggest misconception I think is believing US releases to be the standard of MLP releases. That belief confused me so much for years (!!!) as I struggled with understanding how my childhoods and ponies found second-hand fit into it all. When I started looking at things from a more worldwide view everything made more sense. Of course, I am still confused about a lot of stuff (as European releases are messy) :lol:

It’s not so strange that I (and I am sure many others!) lacked the more global understanding and approach though. In 2006 ( when I started collecting) most ID sites were very US centric in understanding MLP releases. I have been on and off collecting the last couple of years, and I recently got more active again. What I’m most happy about coming back to the community is that it is a much broader understanding of MLP releases outside of North America now. It makes everything so much easier  - and more interesting! :lol:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2018, 03:55:36 AM »
My biggest misconception I think is believing US releases to be the standard of MLP releases. That belief confused me so much for years (!!!) as I struggled with understanding how my childhoods and ponies found second-hand fit into it all. When I started looking at things from a more worldwide view everything made more sense. Of course, I am still confused about a lot of stuff (as European releases are messy) :lol:

It’s not so strange that I (and I am sure many others!) lacked the more global understanding and approach though. In 2006 ( when I started collecting) most ID sites were very US centric in understanding MLP releases. I have been on and off collecting the last couple of years, and I recently got more active again. What I’m most happy about coming back to the community is that it is a much broader understanding of MLP releases outside of North America now. It makes everything so much easier  - and more interesting! :lol:

That is the exact reason I decided to add all the ponies to my website, not just the international releases, because it's all a lot more interesting and complicated in Europe. The US line is fairly straight forward but European releases don't fit into the US timeline or the sets or anything really.

I have always hated the US centric way of looking at MLP - not because I have anything against US MLP or US ponies or US people - but that it just is so inefficient when trying to ID or hunt or sort ponies if you grow up in a country other than the US or maybe Canada. It's illogical that you can grow up with Baby Applejack and Baby Blossom, and yet not be able to find them both together because one was sold in the US and one wasn't...

And since then I've learned how MUCH more complex Europe is, so I can totally see how confusing it is for you guys still. There remains at present no real proper resource for a lot of European releases...just the combined knowledge of people here talking about it, like this.

I think your misconception is one a lot of people still share, tbh. It's hard to think otherwise when the mainstream information sources (originally DV, then MLPCollector, now Wiki etc) all rely on that same outdated framework.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 03:57:16 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stormrave

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2018, 06:04:44 AM »
I didn't know that the first mail-order babies were all supposed to be Baby Ember.  I considered only the one with the cassette tape and the star to be Baby Ember.  Since the other three to my mind had no name, I named them myself:  the blue was Elm Blossom, the purple was Cherrystar, and the pink was Emerald (because I wanted a name LIKE "Ember" because I didn't have the Ember pony, but it couldn't actually BE "Ember" because Ember was, in my mind, someone else!)

It's silly because she's not green AT ALL :D

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2018, 12:32:46 PM »

That is the exact reason I decided to add all the ponies to my website, not just the international releases, because it's all a lot more interesting and complicated in Europe. The US line is fairly straight forward but European releases don't fit into the US timeline or the sets or anything really.

I have always hated the US centric way of looking at MLP - not because I have anything against US MLP or US ponies or US people - but that it just is so inefficient when trying to ID or hunt or sort ponies if you grow up in a country other than the US or maybe Canada. It's illogical that you can grow up with Baby Applejack and Baby Blossom, and yet not be able to find them both together because one was sold in the US and one wasn't...

And since then I've learned how MUCH more complex Europe is, so I can totally see how confusing it is for you guys still. There remains at present no real proper resource for a lot of European releases...just the combined knowledge of people here talking about it, like this.

I think your misconception is one a lot of people still share, tbh. It's hard to think otherwise when the mainstream information sources (originally DV, then MLPCollector, now Wiki etc) all rely on that same outdated framework.

Agreed- to everything! :lol:

The MLP scrapbook has really helped A LOT! I am so impressed of all the knowledge there- you really did an amazing job with it(and continue to do so!)
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2018, 10:30:17 PM »
When I was a kid still playing with my (secondhand) ponies, I didn't know that clydesdale hooves meant a pony was male, so I decided Steamer and Chief were girls (Salty remained a boy). Thinking about it now, my logic made more sense than Hasbro's. Clydesdales can be female, of course.

Re: fading hair - Still struggling to persuade people that Skyflier and Twist have pale pink streaks...at least my MOC ones both do >.>
:blink: Well, now I learned something new! I wonder if I've ever seen a Twist or Skyflier with the pink streak. I've always believed it was supposed to be white, and I'm pretty good with my fading pink hair knowledge. Mind officially blown.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2018, 03:57:33 AM »

:blink: Well, now I learned something new! I wonder if I've ever seen a Twist or Skyflier with the pink streak. I've always believed it was supposed to be white, and I'm pretty good with my fading pink hair knowledge. Mind officially blown.

I think all the official art material I know of also shows Skyflier with a white streak. I think they are MEANT to have white in terms of design, but I definitely have had them with pink. Now whether that is because the red ran into the pink or what I am unsure, but it seems weird that both my MOC Twist and my MOC Skyflier have it. BUT it is really hard to prove it via photographs, so nobody really believes me xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2018, 07:28:10 AM »

I think all the official art material I know of also shows Skyflier with a white streak. I think they are MEANT to have white in terms of design, but I definitely have had them with pink. Now whether that is because the red ran into the pink or what I am unsure, but it seems weird that both my MOC Twist and my MOC Skyflier have it. BUT it is really hard to prove it via photographs, so nobody really believes me xD.

Hmmm that's super weird.  They do have pretty similarly colored hair, I wonder if being MOC did cause them to bleed since the hair's been in contact barely moving for decades?  I didn't have Twist as a kid, but I've definitely had her at points and the last one I had did have a pink streak, which confused me, I just don't have decades of comparison to make. I did have Skyflier as a kid, my cousin got her the year she came out, just basically kept her in the attic and then gave her to me.  I still have her and her baby Cotton Candy, but between that one and the one my neighbor had, I always recall that being white. And the last Skyflier I bought I took apart to make a custom (like a week ago), and it was white inside.   But now I kinda want to get another and pink up that streak.

But then again, Hasbro.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:38:55 AM by flutterscotch »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal