collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What were your pony misconceptions?  (Read 19624 times)

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What were your pony misconceptions?
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2018, 07:54:49 AM »
I thought ponies (regardless of the gen) were only about tea parties.
Huh. Guess not. :)

But for the most part G1 ponies were busy rescuing each other from some evil magic force, slavery, spells, or even Majesty's slightly sadistic ruling style. There just wasn't time for tea, especially if Majesty was just going to send you on a long run to run off the calories after...

This made me roar with laughter.
Maybe not tea parties;  but surely British ponies, true to their national characteristics, would have found time for a quick brew mid-crisis :) :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2018, 08:46:18 AM »
I thought ponies (regardless of the gen) were only about tea parties.
Huh. Guess not. :)

But for the most part G1 ponies were busy rescuing each other from some evil magic force, slavery, spells, or even Majesty's slightly sadistic ruling style. There just wasn't time for tea, especially if Majesty was just going to send you on a long run to run off the calories after...

This made me roar with laughter.
Maybe not tea parties;  but surely British ponies, true to their national characteristics, would have found time for a quick brew mid-crisis :) :)

The irony being that the pony with the teapot symbol (Crumpet) wasn't sold here...

Although I can imagine there were Reasons. Perhaps beyond the fact we didn't have SS ponies. It's an unfortunate name. :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »
Have to agree with the misconception at first that "brony" would be a cute term. I was into the older gens first, so when G4 rolled around I was pretty excited for it, was such a breath of fresh air after the Bore 7 G3.5 ponies which I really, really hated.
It started becoming a pop-culture thing and the terms "bronies" and "pegasisters" started getting thrown around, I thought it sounded kind of cute and thought it was super cool that MLP was getting so widely recognized.

Booooy was I wrong. >.>

I guess another misconception I had was when I was really little, I only knew about G1 and G3, which I only knew as "old ponies" and "new ponies." I found an Ivy G2 keychain at a Rite Aid one time, must've been very old stock, I was probably 6 or 7 and was soo confused! I knew she was an old pony but could not for the life of me figure out why she didn't match all my G1s. I cut the keychain off her back (I'd cut tags/threads/ties/clips whatever and play with it like a toy, EVERYTHING was played with by me) and decided she must've been a baby Twinkle Eye, she was Gingerbread's baby because at the time she was my only TE. Somewhere along the lines a childhood friend gave me a G2 McD's Sundance, and by then I just figured some G1s must look slightly different than the others, maybe these were later runs of G1?
The mystery was finally solved once I discovered online pony ID sites and the communities! I used to lurk here as a kid before making my account when I got a lot older.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »
As a kid, I thought Twilight had a black stripe in her hair.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2018, 05:51:46 PM »
I thought brony and pegasi star were cute terms too. They are, but the people aren't.

You guys can also post misconceptions you've heard if you want ;)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2018, 06:36:36 PM »
When I was younger I was convinced Baby Princess Sparkle was a unicorn; you can imagine my surprise when I discovered she wasn't, lol.

Also thought MLP was a US only toy, I'm so glad I was wrong:)

Offline mewthemew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »
I thought leaving pony hair around to get all tangled and frizzy was "styling" their hair....

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2018, 12:08:34 AM »
I don't think it's too surprising that people commonly associated G1 with tea parties and frills, because the commercials were 100% tea parties and frills.  I grew up absolutely loving the G1 toys, but not really watching the show (I caught bits of it maybe twice), and as a teen (when I started collecting) I too assumed that the show was about things like "Bow Tie's quest for a comb" before I started buying the VHS tapes off eBay.  The UK comics weren't imported at all, so they didn't have any presence / influence for American kids.
Yes, ye gods... The G1 MLP commercials and package bios were as overly saccharine as the G1 Transformers box bios were overly edgy.

I initially thought the "brony" community was cool. But between the mindless vitriol for older gens, the harrassment and smear campaigns I witnessed, the content that was defended.. Urgh.

Me, I was never disdainful of G1. While it was FiM that had initially gotten me into MLP, like with Transformers I was curious to see the franchise's roots and was quick to check out the first series. And hoo boy did it get me hooked on the older stuff.
should be perma-moderated

Offline haircutsandhighlighters

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2018, 05:07:50 AM »
Growing up on the G2 toys and the G1 cartoon, I thought that G1 and G2 were the same thing. I didn't understand why some of the used ponies I got were bigger than the others and didn't have sparkly eyes, and I never twigged that they were closer to the style of the G1 show because they were G1 ponies... I had no idea there were different generations. I remember seeing the first few G3 ads on TV when I was about 10 or 11, and I couldn't understand why they all looked different and lived in "Ponyville" instead of the "Pony Land" I was familiar with. I'd more or less left my childhood pony phase then, but I still thought they'd ruined it. I was a stubborn, pedantic pre-teen.  :P

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2018, 07:40:16 AM »
When I was young I only had fakies that I thought were real mlp, and they both had painted hooves. Imagine my surprise when I came across true G1s with plain hooves, I was very confused.

Offline SwirlyWhirly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Born in the year of the My Little Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2018, 07:22:32 AM »
When I was a kid I thought Sundance was a boy. I think I thought the pose was more "boyish" than the three other ponies I had in the Posey pose and that the name sounded male. English is not my first language so of course I had no idea what Sundance meant either. To me it was just a weird sounding name.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2018, 09:41:17 AM »
^ I had the same problem with some names, haha! Honeysuckle for example... I knew what honey was, but "sukkel" means doofus in Dutch, and I just couldn't understand why anyone would call a pony Honeydoofus. XD

He knows that they're the fool...

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2018, 11:23:25 AM »
When I was a kid I thought Sundance was a boy. I think I thought the pose was more "boyish" than the three other ponies I had in the Posey pose and that the name sounded male. English is not my first language so of course I had no idea what Sundance meant either. To me it was just a weird sounding name.

I had the same kind of thing with my Tuneful! While I didn't know his name (or, well, her...) at the time, the colours and pose made me think he was a boy ^^' I still am having a hard time not thinking of Tuneful as a male pony haha xD

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
I grew up with my sisters G1 MLP though we had our fair share of fakies too.I guess my misconception was that only girls can like MLP. I also assumed that there were only female ponies too.  Being male myself I just went with that.
As an adult I discovered G1 Quartrtback at a thrift store! Clydesdale hooves?  “Hasbro” on the foot-  was this MLP!?!!! a boy?!

So yes MLP is for anyone! and they make boy ponies too!  glad I figured that out! ;)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:34:55 AM by gabumon »

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »
As a kid, my only access to mlp media was renting the VHS tapes at the local rental place ( and one or two eps I caught while at my grandparent's house).  I adored the original special but was less enthusiastic about the movie.  As a result, I got mixed up and thought of RAMC as the "real movie" and thought the one with the Smooze was just a long special.

So I'll add this one even though I don't consider this a misperception so much as a difference in perception.  Medley was my first ever pony and I've always considered her as blue.  Really she is an in-between-sort of teal but everyone else seems to label her as green.  But I would label her as blue.  A pastel teal-y blue.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal