collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What were your pony misconceptions?  (Read 19844 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: What were your pony misconceptions?
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2018, 02:05:55 PM »
I didn't realize that the cartoon wasn't always accurate in portraying the toys.  I thought Sniffles and Snookums were Earth ponies because that's the way they appeared in the cartoon and that Tuneful was green instead of blue.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline cookifaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2018, 02:29:43 PM »
I thought that Posey and Kiss Curl were the same pony for long enough.

I also thought that the Tales were relatively new because they were being rerun on the tv when i was a kid, it was only a few years ago that I found out they were made in the 90s.

I also thought that the year stamped on the ponies foot was the year they were made. It wasn't until my mum pointed out that some of the ponies that have 83/84 stamped on their feet weren't in stores when she was a collector that I realised it was the pose year.

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2018, 04:30:41 PM »
I thought that mlp was just a stupid girly thing when i was younger.Then i fell in love with FiM, the artstyle was a big part of me loving it so i thought the older generations were ugly in comparison.I didn't really hated it aggressively like some bronies, but i still couldn't see how people could like them (though i remember liking g3 rarity early on, don't know why).Then i began lurking here, and well it's all in the past now. Also i did the same dumb brony mistake that a lot of people did : i thought g2 was tales.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2018, 12:30:21 AM »
My first encounter with MLP was Rescue at Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina. In the first Swedish dub the ponies were given other names: Firefly - Silver, Medley-Melody, Skydancer - Molnet ((the) Cloud), Bowtie - Isabella, Megan - Mimmi etc. The confusion was huge when we got another movie and Mimmi had another name! So wrong! I remember being so confused and angry about how they had gotten it all wrong in all the rest of the movies as well! :P

First pony I ever got was ft Baby North Star. She was a pink pegasus with purple hair. No lightningbolts as symbols but still, she was close enough. Silver she is!

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »
I got into MLP with FiM, and had absolutely no interest in toys of any kind previously. Prior to getting into FiM, my only exposure with MLP that I can remember was a moderator of a forum I was a member of in my mid teens. She had a G3 MLP as her username. Coming into MLP with FiM, I had thought that particular MLP had to be some important character and was totally looking for her in the show, even the main characters. It turns out that wasn't the case at all, as she was just one of many, many G3 ponies released, and had no prominence over any other.

As I said, I came into MLP from a cartoon angle, because I've always loved animation and watching cartoons, so I had no understanding of how the toys worked. Also, another misconception related to this: When I heard about FiM and how the creator was trying to create a show with relatable female characters for girls, I was really excited. Sadly, even having no reason to dislike the previous generations of MLP, I kind of rode that Faust train for a while thinking that the older generations (animation) were bad and that FiM was something amazing.

It wasn't until shortly before joining this forum that I decided to look back into the previous generations of MLP, watched all of the cartoons (except for Tales, later G3 cartoons when everything changed, and G3.5 cartoons, I just couldn't get through Tales. It just feels like too much of a regular teen cartoon with ponies slapped onto it. Tales fans can tear me apart if I've come under some misconception!). I then started looking into the toys, and found that G3s were the most appealing to me.

|My Collection|

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2018, 09:53:55 PM »
...Harmonie is basically right about Tales, dangit. Though I personally like it because it's a slice of life show like FiM. I'm a sucker for 80s and early 90s cartoons and Tales seems like an idealistic representation of life as a kid in the 80s. (I was a 90s kid.)

So, in short, you're spot on about the kind of show that Tales is.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2018, 06:54:16 PM »
When I was little I thought Shady's symbol was regular glasses.  Being blue and white, they don't look like sunglasses.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 06:56:38 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2018, 07:49:09 AM »
I firmly believed Raindrop was RegentrÖPFCHEN in Germany... after 14 years of collecting I relaized that its RegentrOPFEN... lol. Oh man.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2018, 07:56:15 AM »
I firmly believed Raindrop was RegentrÖPFCHEN in Germany... after 14 years of collecting I relaized that its RegentrOPFEN... lol. Oh man.

I know a bit of German but am not super fluent so I was curious if there was something there I wasn't getting and if öpfchen meant anything specifically.

lmao thx google

*imagines intelligent and sustainable plant-pony*

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2018, 08:04:21 AM »
So I'll add this one even though I don't consider this a misperception so much as a difference in perception.  Medley was my first ever pony and I've always considered her as blue.  Really she is an in-between-sort of teal but everyone else seems to label her as green.  But I would label her as blue.  A pastel teal-y blue.
I think of her as blue too. Her shade is a bit green, but it is still blue to me!

She looks blue to me too.

OH, good!  I'm glad I'm not the only one then.

There are two. The one made in 1983, with straight hair, is almost the same color as the blue Baby Ember.  She is ever so slightly green even next to each other.  The curly hair one released in 1984 is a lighter color, much more clearly green.   You could be entirely forgiven for thinking the 1983 version was blue.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2018, 08:15:11 AM »
So I'll add this one even though I don't consider this a misperception so much as a difference in perception.  Medley was my first ever pony and I've always considered her as blue.  Really she is an in-between-sort of teal but everyone else seems to label her as green.  But I would label her as blue.  A pastel teal-y blue.
I think of her as blue too. Her shade is a bit green, but it is still blue to me!

She looks blue to me too.

OH, good!  I'm glad I'm not the only one then.

There are two. The one made in 1983, with straight hair, is almost the same color as the blue Baby Ember.  She is ever so slightly green even next to each other.  The curly hair one released in 1984 is a lighter color, much more clearly green.   You could be entirely forgiven for thinking the 1983 version was blue.

I didn't know that.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2018, 08:26:38 AM »
Well, I had your common misconceptions (Tales being G2, year under the hoof,...)
But when I was a little kid, knowing absolutely nothing about mlps and simply playing with them, I though only G3 were real MLP and all the others were fakies (my few G1s and my only G2 at the time) just because they didn't have the hoof magnet. I though real mlps all have magnets. Boi was I wrong. :'D
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2018, 08:38:03 AM »
My sister's Medley is as green as Braided Beauty and I'm pretty sure she was the 1983 version. I guess only some were blue?
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2018, 11:01:30 AM »
My sister's Medley is as green as Braided Beauty and I'm pretty sure she was the 1983 version. I guess only some were blue?

I am not saying she IS blue, I'm saying she's far bluer (and darker) than the longer and curlier haired counterpart. Age, yellowing, etc notwithstanding. I've gone through a lot of Medleys in my time (she was one of my first) and I could never figure out why the two releases looked so different. (Firefly's the same way, I got two of them when I was a kid, the straight haired one was a slightly more salmon color, more akin to Twilight and the curly one was just ever so slightly pinker. You could only really tell unless they were side by side.

I don't have a long, curly haired Medley anymore, and I don't have Braided Beauty, but I do have Ember and Mirror Mirror. Mirror Mirror matched my last curly haired Medley. 

I'm gonna spoiler this because it's rather pic heavy.
Spoiler

See it's this weird color between the "blue" of Ember and that other color.  And if you hold the ponies far apart, their hair makes them see more dissimilar than they are, color-wise.

Here's more color comparisons.

I kind of want to rehair a Medley to blue and a baby Ember to green now.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:03:38 AM by flutterscotch »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2018, 02:04:56 PM »
Maybe this is another example of my colour fussy eyes...but Medley and Ember are totally different colours in that picture.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal