collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What were your pony misconceptions?  (Read 19755 times)

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: What were your pony misconceptions?
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2018, 01:44:38 PM »
So I'll add this one even though I don't consider this a misperception so much as a difference in perception.  Medley was my first ever pony and I've always considered her as blue.  Really she is an in-between-sort of teal but everyone else seems to label her as green.  But I would label her as blue.  A pastel teal-y blue.
I think of her as blue too. Her shade is a bit green, but it is still blue to me!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2018, 01:58:37 PM »
One of mine was that gen one spike was never made into a toy, I am happy to have one now.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2018, 05:35:00 PM »
So I'll add this one even though I don't consider this a misperception so much as a difference in perception.  Medley was my first ever pony and I've always considered her as blue.  Really she is an in-between-sort of teal but everyone else seems to label her as green.  But I would label her as blue.  A pastel teal-y blue.
I think of her as blue too. Her shade is a bit green, but it is still blue to me!

She looks blue to me too.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2018, 07:13:06 PM »
I though Hasbro made a family set of Gusty, Baby Gusty and Daddy Gusty. I thought I saw them in the store once and wanted them. When I started collecting MLP I learned that Hasbro never made a Daddy Gusty and what I saw must have been the Apple Delight family but for years I really thought there was a Daddy Gusty.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2018, 08:37:25 PM »

OH, good!  I'm glad I'm not the only one then.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2018, 09:25:54 PM »
As a kid, my only access to mlp media was renting the VHS tapes at the local rental place ( and one or two eps I caught while at my grandparent's house).  I adored the original special but was less enthusiastic about the movie.  As a result, I got mixed up and thought of RAMC as the "real movie" and thought the one with the Smooze was just a long special.
Oh yeah, me too! I thought RAMC was the movie, but the rental shop closed down around the time I got a copy of the mlp movie of ebay (a bootleg with screenshots from RAMC on the back) and was upset and confused that it wasn't the "real" mlp movie.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2018, 01:08:13 AM »
When I was a kid I thought Sundance was a boy. I think I thought the pose was more "boyish" than the three other ponies I had in the Posey pose and that the name sounded male. English is not my first language so of course I had no idea what Sundance meant either. To me it was just a weird sounding name.

I had the same with Firefly and Applejack. My babies where both males (didnt have the adults) I think my baby Glory was male too. I think with Glory and Firefly it was probably due to the blue in the hair, and with applejack, I assume it was because of the name Jack. :P

I think of her as green, but much of the merchandise she is more blueish with green hair, so I guess it is not wrong to call her blue, as it seems that she might have been intended to be somewhat blue.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2018, 07:21:38 AM »

I was actually surprised how green the real pony is, as I always thought of her as more teal/bluegreenish from all the drawings I saw as a kid (I never saw her in real life till I started online trading).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2018, 09:33:07 AM »
I thought Baby Bellaluna had a big tropical flower symbol. :s Oops!

I thought Sunbeam and Twirlerina were mint green.

Post Merge: June 20, 2018, 09:43:55 AM

^ I had the same problem with some names, haha! Honeysuckle for example... I knew what honey was, but "sukkel" means doofus in Dutch, and I just couldn't understand why anyone would call a pony Honeydoofus. XD

Honey Doofus! :rofl:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:46:00 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »
I thought Baby Bellaluna had a big tropical flower symbol. :s Oops!

I thought Sunbeam and Twirlerina were mint green.

Post Merge: June 20, 2018, 09:43:55 AM

^ I had the same problem with some names, haha! Honeysuckle for example... I knew what honey was, but "sukkel" means doofus in Dutch, and I just couldn't understand why anyone would call a pony Honeydoofus. XD

Honey Doofus! :rofl:

It's a name hasbro missed when coming up with names for G3 XD
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2018, 10:15:23 AM »
Honey Doofus!!! I just got a Honeysuckle, I think that'll be her nickname!

I just realized another thing - before I started collecting G1s, I thought G1 was based on the TV show and the toys were an equally large part of the franchise, but still, it all stemmed from the show, like G4. Welp, that was wrong. I think a lot of people still think this too. My mom even thought so and she grew up in the 80s! I don't really know where this is coming from, maybe G4 and it's take on things?

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2018, 11:24:11 AM »

I just realized another thing - before I started collecting G1s, I thought G1 was based on the TV show and the toys were an equally large part of the franchise, but still, it all stemmed from the show, like G4. Welp, that was wrong. I think a lot of people still think this too. My mom even thought so and she grew up in the 80s! I don't really know where this is coming from, maybe G4 and it's take on things?

It's tempting to blame it all on G4.  But I suspect it's more general than that.  Most big toy lines had a media presence in the 80's and that has continued to today.  Most especially in the boys toys.  Even if those toy lines started out as a toy and then got media, they were still heavily married to the cartoon.  So MLP is one of those lucky brands that is simply popular as a toy concept, regardless of how much or little media it gets.  Though these days, Hasbro has to compete with the knockoffs of its own brand.  Maybe that's one reason they have been pushing the idea of central characters so hard.  So that kids will demand "Pinki Pie" rather than the $2 knockoff.  Back in the 80's MLP was the first of its kind and so didn't have cheap alternatives yet.

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »

It's tempting to blame it all on G4.  But I suspect it's more general than that.  Most big toy lines had a media presence in the 80's and that has continued to today.  Most especially in the boys toys.  Even if those toy lines started out as a toy and then got media, they were still heavily married to the cartoon.  So MLP is one of those lucky brands that is simply popular as a toy concept, regardless of how much or little media it gets.  Though these days, Hasbro has to compete with the knockoffs of its own brand.  Maybe that's one reason they have been pushing the idea of central characters so hard.  So that kids will demand "Pinki Pie" rather than the $2 knockoff.  Back in the 80's MLP was the first of its kind and so didn't have cheap alternatives yet.
Hmm, I agree. It would make sense for Hasbro to have very recognizable characters so that kids will know the difference.  I'm sure G4 still has a part in it, most people know more about it than G1. But it is more general, I guess!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »
Also, there are three kinds of fans. Those who like the show but don't want the toys, those who like the toys but don't watch the show and those who like and want both.

G1 collector fans are more likely to be in the last two categories. But there might be fans who were either fans of the show only or the show and toys but only as a kid who maybe remember the shows more than the toys.

I noticed in the Jem community this divide is pretty distinct. There are show-people and doll-people, with a few that straddle the middle-line. I guess G1 is maybe the same...but as most of the people here collect toys, our focus in therefore on being fans of the toys.

BUT all that said, G1 toys inspired the show and the show, however popular, was designed to promote the toys. Jem was the same, although the show was much more successful than the toys. G4 is a show designed to promote MLP but not just toys - also other franchised goods. The nuance is different with G4.

I personally was in the had toys, didn't really watch the show group for MLP. I had the comics, though...I guess they were my equivalent.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »
My biggest misconception was that, due to having grown up with G3, I thought there were no male ponies, and therefore Steamer must be a female pony who was modeled after a Clydesdale xD I was only like seven or eight at the time that I got my first G1s so I think I can be forgiven for that, but until I got curious enough to look them up and do my research (which didn't take that long; probably within a couple days), I thought he was a girl. Man it's funny thinking back on that now!

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal