collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What were your pony misconceptions?  (Read 19629 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: What were your pony misconceptions?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 03:46:56 AM »
They released Confetti here as a bride a whole year before the Mountain Boys happened. I always found that amusing. The comic found a way to explain it but Confetti's box story is all about her getting ready for her wedding.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 04:25:48 AM »
When I was a kid I thought my Fakies were actual MLPs, it was only when I started collecting G3s late in their run that I found out my lovely fakies were not MLP!
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 05:59:28 AM »
Add a few more years down the line and Hasbro releases Bride Wysteria with no boy ponies to marry  :P

Thank Hasbro there were enough girl ponies she could marry.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 07:12:47 AM »
When I first began collecting ponies in 2014, I only collected G4 and thought the older generations were terrible. I also only really liked the series and had no interest in ponies outside of the Mane 6. The tables have turned completely and now I'm tired of the Mane 6 and the series, and I absolutely love G1-G3. And all it took was finding G1 Starglow in a drawer  ^^;
I used to hate G1-3 but all it took was finding some G1s too! For me it was DJ, Blue Baby Ember, and Magic Star :) I also started out with G4 but lost interest in it!

Just asking out of interest, what did you hate so much about the older gens? I mean, hate is a rather strong feeling to have for something that got replaced by something you love(d). Like, I can understand the other way around. When something you love gets replaced by something you can't get into. 

But once in a while I read about ex-bronies saying they hated G1-G3 before checking it out and I'm like... bwuh? You hated something you weren't even interested in?
I was about ten or eleven when I found my first G1s. I think it was just me being a child, lol. I had actually looked at the wiki before finding them and browsed some G1 ponies and art and decided they look ugly. I think my mom kept getting gens confused too and I had some misdericted anger. I didn't like G3 for the look and aesthetic, and tbh, G3 isn't my favorite gen today. I don't think I knew G2 even existed, actually!

Basically, I did research because it was pony, decided I hated them, and then got them in hand :) I think hating then loving G1s is a lot like people say for G2. They look weird until you see them irl, and then they are awesome :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 07:24:44 AM »
Add a few more years down the line and Hasbro releases Bride Wysteria with no boy ponies to marry  :P

So your sayin we should introduce her to Pony Bride?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 07:40:26 AM »

Yeah. What was more acceptable socially in the 2000s definitely not in the 1980s. Wysteria was just enlightened :) Confetti was screwed over.

I think people also use 'hate' sometimes more than it's needed. Although (and this is my impression) there is a culture of strong words in G4 fandom towards things - passionately like and dislike stuff. So I can see G1 being hated because it's not G4.

What I think is interesting is how many G4 people ultimately come to G1, and sometimes even drop G4 completely. I don't know why exactly it happens, except that maybe the mane 6 repetition just gets old if you're collecting the toys. It is interesting, though. G1 has the most longevity due to its age, but it is still capable of winning over people who started out avoiding it.

I grew up with G1 and I remember G2, G3 and G4 coming out, so I don't really understand what it's like coming in at a later gen and then looking back. It is really interesting now we have younger collectors who did grow up with the later generations bringing their different perspectives on stuff, and especially on the things that attracted them to G1 or a different generation.

I am really happy we have so many G3 collectors here now too. I have long hoped that it would happen that way, as G3 is a really nice and varied generation.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 09:00:08 AM »

My biggest misconception...that My Little Pony made sense ;)

:lmao: Same!!!

I was convinced there was an Argentina Starshine :(

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 09:09:53 AM »

*side glance at Glory and Majesty* I can't be the only one who had a LGBT pony couple as a kid. Heck I even gad some transgender/genderfluid ponies since I couldn't decide on a gender for Ivy, g3 Minty, or g3 Applejack.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 09:12:10 AM »

*side glance at Glory and Majesty* I can't be the only one who had a LGBT pony couple as a kid. Heck I even gad some transgender/genderfluid ponies since I couldn't decide on a gender for Ivy, g3 Minty, or g3 Applejack.
Difference between what people did in their childhood collections and what Hasbro would have got away with marketing in the 1980s. Mindsets then much more conservative than now.

My CJ and Snowflake often played boy ponies in my herd, though I don't think of them as boys. So I guess that happened in my childhood collection too.

@PKW - I'm now waiting for one to be discovered just to blow your mind ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 09:12:38 AM »

my ponies were all lesbians
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 09:18:46 AM »
I like you already. Also, is that an MST3K avatar?
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 09:33:41 AM »
I like you already. Also, is that an MST3K avatar?
it is
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »

Yeah. What was more acceptable socially in the 2000s definitely not in the 1980s. Wysteria was just enlightened :) Confetti was screwed over.

I think people also use 'hate' sometimes more than it's needed. Although (and this is my impression) there is a culture of strong words in G4 fandom towards things - passionately like and dislike stuff. So I can see G1 being hated because it's not G4.

What I think is interesting is how many G4 people ultimately come to G1, and sometimes even drop G4 completely. I don't know why exactly it happens, except that maybe the mane 6 repetition just gets old if you're collecting the toys. It is interesting, though. G1 has the most longevity due to its age, but it is still capable of winning over people who started out avoiding it.

I grew up with G1 and I remember G2, G3 and G4 coming out, so I don't really understand what it's like coming in at a later gen and then looking back. It is really interesting now we have younger collectors who did grow up with the later generations bringing their different perspectives on stuff, and especially on the things that attracted them to G1 or a different generation.

I am really happy we have so many G3 collectors here now too. I have long hoped that it would happen that way, as G3 is a really nice and varied generation.
While I wasn't active in the brony and G4 community, I was still... there, I guess. I had OCs, I read fanfiction, I drew things... Though, I didn't talk to anybody, and I didn't share my content. I wasn't on any forums and I didn't read that G1 should be hated. Heck, I didn't even collect the figures. I still somehow adopted the mindset that if you don't really like G1, you hate it. Then I started to like G1. Then I realized 'oh, hey, ideas and mindsets that I have from liking and 'being' in the G4 community can be kinda crazy'. Though, I still do understand those mindsets and ideas. I think it's valuable too, as I understand (and now have) a lot of G1 collector mindsets and ideas too. I know what it's like to think G1s are worthless and to think they are one of the most valuable things and my life. I'm grateful for that :) (not trying to get all sappy and serious though lol it's not like it's religious or political issues haha)

My biggest misconception...that My Little Pony made sense ;)

:lmao: Same!!!

I was convinced there was an Argentina Starshine :(

Love pkw xxx
Starshine is my favorite. We really need this pony! Imagine what she would be like... Bright, rainbow hair colors, bold symbol, classic pose... :heart:

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 02:34:37 AM »
I personally don't mind G4 fans hating G1, providing they are educated enough about G1 to form that opinion. I think what annoys folk is the fact most of the time it's hatred in ignorance. And that's the worst kind of hatred in all walks of life. So it isn't political or important when it's ponies, but if someone can hate something without really understanding it or bothering to find out about it - that can transfer to real life opinions too. So I guess it is serious, deep down because of that?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 05:43:09 AM »
When I first began collecting ponies in 2014, I only collected G4 and thought the older generations were terrible. I also only really liked the series and had no interest in ponies outside of the Mane 6. The tables have turned completely and now I'm tired of the Mane 6 and the series, and I absolutely love G1-G3. And all it took was finding G1 Starglow in a drawer  ^^;
I used to hate G1-3 but all it took was finding some G1s too! For me it was DJ, Blue Baby Ember, and Magic Star :) I also started out with G4 but lost interest in it!

Just asking out of interest, what did you hate so much about the older gens? I mean, hate is a rather strong feeling to have for something that got replaced by something you love(d). Like, I can understand the other way around. When something you love gets replaced by something you can't get into. 

But once in a while I read about ex-bronies saying they hated G1-G3 before checking it out and I'm like... bwuh? You hated something you weren't even interested in?

I honestly don't remember what it was that made me avoid them. Perhaps it was the cartoons, maybe the way they looked. Whatever it was I'm happy that I got over it and learned to love them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal