collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What were your pony misconceptions?  (Read 19894 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Re: What were your pony misconceptions?
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2018, 07:31:32 PM »
Which pony is it that often has a faded mane, but a still bright tail?  Sunspot?  I might have to find one, because I want to see if the mane hair fluoresces like the old hair, but if her tail does like the new. That would be another "hair stock" mystery.
I think Sunspot is one, along with Fancy Flower (the Sweetheart Sister). Yeah, that would be a good experiment!

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2018, 10:27:53 PM »
@Esbayne @TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 Oospie, you're right ! I was supposed to know her name is Round-and-Round, I even grew up with the playset, I just didn't think it though when I searched for her name on Wikipedia.
Now that you think of it, yeah, Rainbow Wishes is a sweet name for her. I wonder what her French name is, I forgot, it's been so long since I played with her.  >_<
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2018, 04:14:00 AM »
Okay, so is that a common problem for Fancy Flower? Because I've been lowkey searching for her for years. I kept on seeing sellers posting her with white hair/pink tail, and...this is going to sound stupid...I honestly thought everyone was just passing the same pony around, buying her then reselling her. For years, just that one Fancy Flower :lol: I guess that's a pony misconception....

Offline scifipony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2018, 07:28:40 AM »
Heh, I got a good one. lol.
For all my childood up until recently, I always though G3 Rainbow Wishes' symbol was a rosette instead of a Ferris Wheel. :'D
Spoiler

Up til now, I also thought it was a rosette, too. I never knew her name, either, so I always just nicknamed her "Rosette" since I knew there was an earlier pony with that name. XD

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »
Round and Round does make more sense for a Ferris wheel pony, then a rosette pony.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »
Which pony is it that often has a faded mane, but a still bright tail?  Sunspot?  I might have to find one, because I want to see if the mane hair fluoresces like the old hair, but if her tail does like the new. That would be another "hair stock" mystery.
I think Sunspot is one, along with Fancy Flower (the Sweetheart Sister). Yeah, that would be a good experiment!

ON IT because I also really want a Fancy Flower anyway!

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2018, 09:22:13 PM »

ON IT because I also really want a Fancy Flower anyway!

Not to dissuade you at all from getting a Fancy Flower to experiment with, but if you're curious how permanent pink hair compares under UV--
Spoiler

From left to right: Skyflier, Sunspot with permanent pink, Yum Yum with unfaded fading pink, Sunspot with faded fading pink, and Nightglider

My phone isn't great at picking up colors under black light, but hopefully you can tell that the permanent pink is quite its own thing. It fluoresces with a much pinker hue than the peachy color of fading pink (which is really just a lighter version of Skyflier's electric red).

More off-topic UV fun!
Spoiler
My two Sunspots have a number of small differences -- tail colors, tinsel colors, the MO's cheek symbol -- but under black light, you can see even more variation between the two!

Their bodies are pretty identical in normal light, but the mail order version glows pink while the store version glows yellow-orange. Even more surprising is that the MO's symbol shows an olive green sun face and the store version's is dark red!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2018, 03:27:16 AM »
These UV images are awesome. And you just confirmed something else I've been convinced of for ages - that variations in sparkle ponies are not all discolouration/fading as people often say.

I definitely have 2 completely different MO Star Hoppers down to how their symbols are printed. Your images kind of suggest that there may be more subtle differences too that we're not even aware of. Lots of different batches I imagine.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2018, 07:23:45 AM »
And to think the only glitter pony variation I've seen in person was 3 Sunspots where one had gold tinsel, one ha silver, and one had silver in her main and gold in her tail. I now own the latter and my friend said she has one with the same oddity.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2018, 07:42:40 AM »

Not to dissuade you at all from getting a Fancy Flower to experiment with, but if you're curious how permanent pink hair compares under UV--

What I am looking for is a pony, manufactured as-is that might have more than one hair type.  I noticed that this ratty old Pinkie Pie I have has pretty much the same color hair as the fading pink in her streaks, but it glows like the new Dollyhair color replacement. I want to see if we can pinpoint a pink nylon hair reformulation, or pinpoint how sunlight fading affects the fluorescence. At least in loose terms.  I have a suspicion.  And I am willing to sacrifice this Pinkie to see if I can get her to fade to white, or to match g1 hair, if at all.

I've been experimenting with my ponies with mismatched bodies, and there's definitely different plastic batches there.  I have a baby Blossom who is really purple (Taffeta, I think you mentioned something about this recently, the dark Blossom vs. the greyer one), but her head is greying, and her head fluoresces while her body does not.

@BlushingBlue, your photo actually leads more credence to what I'm going to try out. I am suspecting that  I'll take photos with my DSLR so we can try to get reproducible images that others can test with the same camera settings.  With a variety of pony styles + new nylon hair.  I genuinely think these misfits with the non-fading tails had a formulation update that continues in nylon hair production today. And it would be a good thing to know if your pony will or won't fade. Or is faded.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:19:03 AM by flutterscotch »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2018, 08:18:13 AM »
I am just so happy someone with the skills to investigate is looking into this because it is just the kind of geeky data I love :D. And it is great at last batch and shade is being considered alongside fading for different colours as we probably can learn stuff about how they were made.

For example it has been mentioned before that german watercolor babies are sometimes more vivid than the US ones. Baby Mischief also definitely comes in two pink tones as well as all the hair variations.

@Khoufu I have seen those differences in Sunspot tinsel too...I have her MOC and have a feeling she not only has different hair shade intensity like we've been mentioning but possibly also conflicting tinsel. I have a feeling tinsel stuff also affects Napper...but tinsel variations I guess are a whole other topic...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2018, 09:03:08 AM »
I just ordered a purple-skewing Galaxy to see if I can figure out why she's "normally" this slightly lavender-ish pink color, but some of them are bright neon pink, and are referred to as having "full body regrind". I'll see if I can dig up some Pantone swatch books to get actual, consistently measurable colors as the basis of comparison.

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2018, 02:04:42 PM »
And to think the only glitter pony variation I've seen in person was 3 Sunspots where one had gold tinsel, one ha silver, and one had silver in her main and gold in her tail. I now own the latter and my friend said she has one with the same oddity.

My store-version Napper also has mismatched tinsel, gold in her mane and silver in her tail. :biggrin: I'm sure the stations for mane-rooting and tail-assembly were different areas of the production line, but in the case of the Sparkle ponies, it seems like sometimes they were in whole different buildings!

What I am looking for is a pony, manufactured as-is that might have more than one hair type.  I noticed that this ratty old Pinkie Pie I have has pretty much the same color hair as the fading pink in her streaks, but it glows like the new Dollyhair color replacement. I want to see if we can pinpoint a pink nylon hair reformulation, or pinpoint how sunlight fading affects the fluorescence. At least in loose terms.  I have a suspicion.  And I am willing to sacrifice this Pinkie to see if I can get her to fade to white, or to match g1 hair, if at all.

Now I'm confused... Are you saying that new fading pink nylon fluoresces differently than what was used in G1? Aside from what can be attributed to fading, that's not my experience.

Spoiler
Here are my aforementioned Sunspots, under regular indoor light:

(Store has a permanent pink tail, half-faded fading pink mane; MO has half-faded fading pink tail, very faded mane)

Under black light:

Their faded hair still glows under UV, but only a warm, creamy white without much of the peachy vibrancy of new. Permanent pink is, as ever, doing its own thing.

Under black light, with Sparkle Baby Wosserface with un-faded fading pink hair on top of them, and a hank of new fading pink nylon on top of her:

(Interesting to note that the Sparkle baby matches the MO's body, not the store version.)

With what I have on hand, the new hair glows identically to original un-faded hair.

@BlushingBlue, your photo actually leads more credence to what I'm going to try out. I am suspecting that  I'll take photos with my DSLR so we can try to get reproducible images that others can test with the same camera settings.  With a variety of pony styles + new nylon hair. I genuinely think these misfits with the non-fading tails had a formulation update that continues in nylon hair production today. And it would be a good thing to know if your pony will or won't fade. Or is faded.

I wish you all the luck in your experiment -- reproducible results is the keystone of science! -- but unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning, I don't know that you'll be able to find much evidence for the statement I bolded. I've never run across a G3 with "permanent pink" hair, only fading pink and matte pink. (I think that's "pussycat" and "kitten" in Dollyhair terms?) And I don't think G4s reliably use nylon hair anymore...?

Okay, G3 nerdery ahoy!

Spoiler
Here is that same hank of pussycat nylon, compared to Sunspot's permanent pink tail, Spring Parade's mane with unfaded fading pink streaks, and Starcatcher's white and half-faded fading-pink streaks:

All these ponies are from my trade bin, btw... Just sayin. ;)

And again with Sparkle Baby's tail to compare:

Sorry about the weird magenta speckles. My poor phone was flipping out by this point. :drunk:

What's interesting to me is the possibility of using black light to root out (ugh, pun not intended) instances of "rotting" G3 hair types.

Spoiler
For instance, here are the different medium-pinks of Cute Curtsey(matte), Bumbleberry(translucent), and Green Apple(rotting):

Although it looks quite similar to the others in normal light, Green Apple's hair glows a strange, sickly shade of periwinkle under UV.

Much like using black light to hunt down age spots in ponies' vinyl, it could also be useful in checking for hidden weaknesses in similar-looking G3 hair types... before it suddenly snaps off at the root. :wonder: It's not a fix, but forewarned is forearmed.

Sorry, this is getting pretty off-topic, but I find it all very interesting! ^^; I'm looking forward to your write-up on Galaxy, flutterscotch!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2018, 04:39:27 PM »
We are super off topic :( Maybe it needs a new thread.

Using the UV to root out rotting possibilities is a great idea though O.O.

As for non-fading Pink, I think Flutterscotch means the kind of pink that is more vivid and doesn't fade as easily...like that used on ponies like Clover and Love Story at the end of the line. Also some ponies like Sunspot tend to have vivid pink tails that don't fade as easy as the manes. At least I am guessing...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2018, 05:16:56 PM »
Another of mine was the pink mermaid pony was never made, as I never found her in all the years I had been searching till now. I had one come all the way from the land down under.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal