collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What were your pony misconceptions?  (Read 19870 times)

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: What were your pony misconceptions?
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2018, 08:03:28 AM »

Re: fading hair - Still struggling to persuade people that Skyflier and Twist have pale pink streaks...at least my MOC ones both do >.>
:blink: Well, now I learned something new! I wonder if I've ever seen a Twist or Skyflier with the pink streak. I've always believed it was supposed to be white, and I'm pretty good with my fading pink hair knowledge. Mind officially blown.

I think all the official art material I know of also shows Skyflier with a white streak. I think they are MEANT to have white in terms of design, but I definitely have had them with pink. Now whether that is because the red ran into the pink or what I am unsure, but it seems weird that both my MOC Twist and my MOC Skyflier have it. BUT it is really hard to prove it via photographs, so nobody really believes me xD.

Hmmm that's super weird.  They do have pretty similarly colored hair, I wonder if being MOC did cause them to bleed since the hair's been in contact barely moving for decades?  I didn't have Twist as a kid, but I've definitely had her at points and the last one I had did have a pink streak, which confused me, I just don't have decades of comparison to make. I did have Skyflier as a kid, my cousin got her the year she came out, just basically kept her in the attic and then gave her to me.  I still have her and her baby Cotton Candy, but between that one and the one my neighbor had, I always recall that being white. And the last Skyflier I bought I took apart to make a custom (like a week ago), and it was white inside.   But now I kinda want to get another and pink up that streak.

But then again, Hasbro.
It would be cool if they did have a pink streak, I've never heard of the possibility before! The only things that I can think of otherwise would be bleeding and the white hair being a bit translucent, showing the color of hair underneath. That red color is known to bleed, so it could be, especially if the pony is MOC.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2018, 01:30:26 PM »
I remember noticing as a kid that Twist and Sea Mist had pink stripes.  I don't remember noticing Skyflier's but when I saw it mentioned as pink some time ago I checked my childhood one and it's definitley a match to Posey's fading pink.  I took these photos at the time - comparisons to Powder, Posey, and Star Dazzle (who just happened to be handy as another fading pink example):

For it to be from the red hair bleeding we would have to assume that just lying loosely on top of the red is enough to cause it to stain, the bleed was completely even from roots to tips, and it just happens to stain the exact same color as fading pink - which I find a real stretch to believe, especially since I'm 100% positive that Twist and Sea Mist (the two ponies with similar color schemes for their manes) had pink stripes to begin with.  I have been meaning to use some hair from a couple of baits to try to force a segment of red hair to stain a segment of white just to see if it even comes close but haven't gotten around to it yet. 

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2018, 01:49:14 PM »
I agree, that isn't bleeding. Thank you for the pics!

I think the thing that makes the most sense right now is that the hair is fading pink.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2018, 02:11:23 PM »
Yay! I am not crazy. Thanks for the pics Breyer600!!

I also checked my loose Skyflier who is mint against Posey with similar results but couldn't get a good picture.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2018, 02:29:55 PM »
Holy crap, guys, that is so, so weird. I think it might be an optical illusion about it being white because of her hair and coat color.  Because I just pulled out my "good" Skyflier, and peered closely, and she looks white. Compared it to her eyeballs, still pretty white. Separated her hair so it isn't laying on the red, still looks white. UNTIL I put her between brand new hair that matches that "fading pink" color, and Twilight's tail, and mine is definitely faded, but decidedly pink. 

Even putting BRAND NEW pink hair over top that color, it "looks" more white than pink, that bright color completely overpowers it.  It looks like white just picking up reflections of the hair and body depending on the context. It is the blue/black or yellow/gold dress all over again.

Edit, so I took this outside because my indoor lighting was definitely skewing the color perception, it's far warmer. Comparison pics under spoiler.

Spoiler
Ok, so, my comparisons.  With my Skyflier who needs a bath, and has a relatively thin streak.

Left to right, Dollyhair Virgin Snow, g1 Sunlight, Dollyhair Pussycat, and g3 flutter Honeysuckle flattened so you can see they're the exact same color when flattened.

It is weird because even looking through my phone's screen her hair is decidedly pinker than with my naked eyes...not just in pics, even just looking while taking a pic.

Here's the comparison across the spectrum.

bunched up and thickened though, it's clear.

But the ultimate test of that has me convinced that it is fading pink?  It FLUORESCES exactly like the "fading pink" color, and the white hair from the same era does not whatsoever.  Case closed right there as far as I am concerned.

I wish I would have checked the other Skyflier so we can see if it's just a case of "some ponies used up some stock of some hair", or all of them have pink.

Ok, final edit, this is making me insane.
It fluoresces the same when the black light is at a distance, and the white appears not to.  But when you get close...
Spoiler

With the brand new hair:

Without:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:32:20 PM by flutterscotch »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2018, 01:11:54 AM »
I think Hasbro doesn't help by allowing so many white streaked Skyfliers.

I first raised this a really long time ago because Twist and Skyflier were two of my first MIP ponies, but there's never really been anyone looking at it in detail like this. I thought I must be crazy because as I've mentioned before, it's not uncommon for me to identify 2 colours as being different when everyone else sees them as the same :/

I would think using up stock hair is a good explanation but because it's fading pink, it's probably impossible to totally prove it's not bleeding on any pony or that all of them had fading pink from the start. But I am super gratified that after about 15 years people are actually looking into it as a possibility.

It's like white haired Daisy Sweet. When I first raised that one I was told she was faded, but it's since been proven that the white haired one is a valid variation and clearly uses Sweet Lily hair instead of the gold (so maybe they ran out).

I think we may be back into batch territory. But if they aren't meant to have pink streaks, what are the odds of my Twist MOC and my Skyflier MOC and my loose Skyflier all having pink streaks? (I sadly can't get at loose Twist at the moment to check her). And I never thought of checking Sea Mist, but now I'm going to look at mine...

Yep, hers is pale pink as well...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2018, 06:24:26 AM »
Holy crap, guys, that is so, so weird. I think it might be an optical illusion about it being white because of her hair and coat color.  Because I just pulled out my "good" Skyflier, and peered closely, and she looks white. Compared it to her eyeballs, still pretty white. Separated her hair so it isn't laying on the red, still looks white. UNTIL I put her between brand new hair that matches that "fading pink" color, and Twilight's tail, and mine is definitely faded, but decidedly pink. 

Even putting BRAND NEW pink hair over top that color, it "looks" more white than pink, that bright color completely overpowers it.  It looks like white just picking up reflections of the hair and body depending on the context. It is the blue/black or yellow/gold dress all over again.

Edit, so I took this outside because my indoor lighting was definitely skewing the color perception, it's far warmer. Comparison pics under spoiler.

Spoiler
Ok, so, my comparisons.  With my Skyflier who needs a bath, and has a relatively thin streak.

Left to right, Dollyhair Virgin Snow, g1 Sunlight, Dollyhair Pussycat, and g3 flutter Honeysuckle flattened so you can see they're the exact same color when flattened.

It is weird because even looking through my phone's screen her hair is decidedly pinker than with my naked eyes...not just in pics, even just looking while taking a pic.

Here's the comparison across the spectrum.

bunched up and thickened though, it's clear.

But the ultimate test of that has me convinced that it is fading pink?  It FLUORESCES exactly like the "fading pink" color, and the white hair from the same era does not whatsoever.  Case closed right there as far as I am concerned.

I wish I would have checked the other Skyflier so we can see if it's just a case of "some ponies used up some stock of some hair", or all of them have pink.

Ok, final edit, this is making me insane.
It fluoresces the same when the black light is at a distance, and the white appears not to.  But when you get close...
Spoiler

With the brand new hair:

Without:

So cool!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »
Heh, I got a good one. lol.
For all my childood up until recently, I always though G3 Rainbow Wishes' symbol was a rosette instead of a Ferris Wheel. :'D

Source : Wikipedia
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2018, 12:41:40 PM »
For all my childood up until recently, I always though G3 Rainbow Wishes' symbol was a rosette instead of a Ferris Wheel. :'D

I seriously had no idea it was a Ferris wheel. Your girl is gorgeous! It does look like a rosette.

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2018, 01:12:35 PM »
She's pretty, indeed. I suppose I'm glad I'm not the only one. :lol:
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »

Spoiler

Whoa! That's pretty convincing.

I wonder if what Taffeta brought up as batch differences is a possibility? Some were made with a fading pink streak, and some were made with a white streak (when one or the other ran out)?

I really want to get my hands on my Skyflier counting book now -- I could have sworn the artist drew her with a white streak, but now I'm not sure. (I'm not at home right now or I would look.)

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2018, 05:35:29 PM »

Spoiler

Whoa! That's pretty convincing.

I wonder if what Taffeta brought up as batch differences is a possibility? Some were made with a fading pink streak, and some were made with a white streak (when one or the other ran out)?

I really want to get my hands on my Skyflier counting book now -- I could have sworn the artist drew her with a white streak, but now I'm not sure. (I'm not at home right now or I would look.)

Which pony is it that often has a faded mane, but a still bright tail?  Sunspot?  I might have to find one, because I want to see if the mane hair fluoresces like the old hair, but if her tail does like the new. That would be another "hair stock" mystery.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2018, 05:44:12 PM »

It does, now that you mention it! The only reason I knew it was a ferris wheel as a kid was because she was the amusement park pony, but it totally does look like that! It's a bizarre looking ferris wheel, lol!

Also I love the name Rainbow Wishes for her a lot more! Her name is Round N Round and the amusement park was called Rainbow Wishes Amusement Park, but I really like that name better for her. Round N Round has always struck me as a really weird name. xD

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »
I think I want Rainbow Wishes now. She's got great colors, and a unique electronic symbol. I love carnivals. Is she hard to get hold of?

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2018, 07:08:32 PM »
Spoiler

Round 'n Round is her name, though! Rainbow Wishes is her playset.

I think I want Rainbow Wishes now. She's got great colors, and a unique electronic symbol. I love carnivals. Is she hard to get hold of?

Don't think so, I just thrifted my Round 'n Round a while back.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal