collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What were your pony misconceptions?  (Read 19625 times)

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
What were your pony misconceptions?
« on: May 06, 2018, 12:59:07 PM »
I've been thinking back on when I was a newbie collector and I realized I had a lot of misconceptions! I'm curious as to what other's misconceptions were :) Thought it would be fun to share them, so here we go!

Before I collected G1s, I thought they were ugly and were worth nothing. I then learned about nirvanas like South Africans and Takaras and ponies like Rapunzel, lol

At first I thought that the dates on G1 hooves were the year that they were made. I think this ones common, I see eBay sellers doing it a lot. After I got my first G1 I did some research and saw it was the year the mound was copyrighted, not the pony.

What about you?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline mewthemew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What were your pony misconceptions?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 01:14:47 PM »
Wait, G1 hooves aren't the date they were made?! :O

I used to be one of those people that also thought G1 ponies were useless and ugly when I first got into MLP back in 2011 when I was 14.
For a while, I used to think that Sweetheart Sister ponies where knock-offs! Another one I had was, and I feel really bad for admitting this, I thought G3 ponies were G2 ponies because on My Little Wiki, it states that G2 ponies stopped in europe at around 2002. I live in the US I thought I had something really special with one of my early G3 ponies from 2002.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 01:18:41 PM »
Since I never saw G2s in stores, I thought G3 was G2. :blush:

That G4s were larger, weirder looking 3.5s.

That Princess Luna and NMM were two different ponies.

I was surprised to discover that peekaboos and playtime baby brothers had moveable necks.

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 01:46:54 PM »
When G4 rolled along I thought "brony" was a cute fandom name for older guys who liked MLP because of the G1 "Big Brother" ponies. Hoooo boy was I wrong about that  :lol:

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 02:05:08 PM »
Wait, G1 hooves aren't the date they were made?! :O
Nope :) It's the copyright for the pose. For example, I think Applejack's pose says 1983 on it. Magic Hat, though, was not made in 1983! Lol, when I got my first G1s, I was showed my mother the "dates they were made." Oh, young Safflower... DJ was not made in 1984.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's responses!

I have another one: I thought McDonald's ponies were the only ponies to ever exist when I was really really young and only had G3 McDonald's ponies. I didn't know about actual ponies, just thought they were happy meal toys.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »
I had the brony flu and used to think MLP Tales was G2.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 02:42:54 PM »
90% of the people who email me about a pony ID are also confused about the year/mould thing. It's a real barrier to people IDing ponies, apparently.

My biggest misconception...that My Little Pony made sense ;)

The more I collect, the less sense it all makes :)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 05:10:58 PM »
I had the brony flu and used to think MLP Tales was G2.

This made me snort a bit XD All my love to all pony collectors, I mean no offense by that. It's nice to see people getting in touch with their fandom roots imho.

I remember when I was young I thought the yellow basket that came with dream castle actually came with applejack so she could go apple picking. Keep in mind I was also about 8 at the time XD

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 06:22:48 PM »
When I first began collecting ponies in 2014, I only collected G4 and thought the older generations were terrible. I also only really liked the series and had no interest in ponies outside of the Mane 6. The tables have turned completely and now I'm tired of the Mane 6 and the series, and I absolutely love G1-G3. And all it took was finding G1 Starglow in a drawer  ^^;

I also used to find it hard to tell G1 ponies and G3 ponies apart. Now that I own plenty of each I can't understand how that was ever a problem for me.

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 07:23:07 PM »
When I first began collecting ponies in 2014, I only collected G4 and thought the older generations were terrible. I also only really liked the series and had no interest in ponies outside of the Mane 6. The tables have turned completely and now I'm tired of the Mane 6 and the series, and I absolutely love G1-G3. And all it took was finding G1 Starglow in a drawer  ^^;
I used to hate G1-3 but all it took was finding some G1s too! For me it was DJ, Blue Baby Ember, and Magic Star :) I also started out with G4 but lost interest in it!

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 10:01:13 PM »
My mom told me that there were no real Sparkle ponies so I dismissed them as fakes when I was a kid, until I got one and it said Hasbro.

I referred to G2 Skyskimmer as Fluttershy until I got back into collecting 2 years ago. I got her as a toddler so forgot her name, and renamed her after either g3 or g4 Fluttershy.

I thought each gen was specific to a decade, and that the weirdly tall ponies like Pony Bride were the awkward in-between G1/G2.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 10:19:43 PM »
I've shared this on other threads but I have three that come to mind:

1) As a child, my only point of reference for ponies' identities was the cartoon series, unless I got the ponies new. But about half of my herd was bought second-hand. So, I didn't understand why my "Gusty" had flowers as her symbol and a white streak in her hair, why my "Firefly" had ducks for her symbol, or why my "Posey" had hearts for hers. I just figured Hasbro made the ponies a little different from the cartoon series. I had no idea it was because I owned different ponies.

2) I thought the U.S. releases were all that existed. I had no idea that other countries had exclusives.

3) My only TE as a child was Sweet Stuff, who I'd gotten second-hand. I had assumed the only TE ponies in existence were the ones I'd seen in the cartoon series: Sweet Stuff, Masquerade, Whizzer, Locket, Fizzy, Gingerbread, and Galaxy (I didn't see the episode with Mimic until adulthood). I was very surprised to learn that there were about twice as many TEs as I had assumed.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 01:51:20 AM »
That reminds me of another one or two of mine.

I assumed the animators didn't know much about ponies as they kept getting names wrong. Particularly Sweetie. Even now Sweet Stuff makes me flinch.

I believed Paradise existed but not Truly or Cupcake. I thought they were just animated. Same with Scoops and Milkweed and Tumbleweed. Of course the Paradise i believed in didn't exist as I never heard of ss ponies as a kid.

In the UK the term so soft was used for plushes so I thought all ss ponies were plush until we found a Hippety Hop randomly at a car boot sale. I was sure someone had done something awful to her or that she was a fakie at first!

I thought Shady's hair glowed in the dark. She is the only one of my ponies from 1987 or before who still has curls because of that.

I believed Medley etc were sold here :(
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 02:43:29 AM »
I used to hate G1-3 but all it took was finding some G1s too! For me it was DJ, Blue Baby Ember, and Magic Star :) I also started out with G4 but lost interest in it!

Just asking out of interest, what did you hate so much about the older gens? I mean, hate is a rather strong feeling to have for something that got replaced by something you love(d). Like, I can understand the other way around. When something you love gets replaced by something you can't get into. 

But once in a while I read about ex-bronies saying they hated G1-G3 before checking it out and I'm like... bwuh? You hated something you weren't even interested in?

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 03:32:03 AM »
As a child I was given Pony Bride for Christmas. This confused me as I had never seen a boy pony so why would there be a bride? My mum was friends with the lady who ran the only toy store in my small hometown. I asked her if there were boy ponies and she said "no".

LIES! I found the Dream Valley website when I started collecting g3s as an adult. I learn about Big Brothers and am heartbroken that I didn't know they existed. I only had 4 real MLPs as a kid and many fakies but I'm sure my mum would have bought me a boy for Pony Bride to marry if she knew about them.  She later customised a fakie I already owned and named him Thunderbolt. She made him a little tuxedo so I could hold pony weddings.

Add a few more years down the line and Hasbro releases Bride Wysteria with no boy ponies to marry  :P
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal