collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does this look like a rehair to you?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Does this look like a rehair to you?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2018, 10:10:06 AM »
I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

I admit I also don't understand how marking the base of the hoof, which you can't see, is really that offensive, if you're willing to replace the whole mane.

But it is personal perspective. For me the pony that started this discussion is pretty much worthless. Obviously in real terms she isn't, but for me she is. If she had her hooves written on but original hair, I'd value her much higher. I don't mind hoof writing, so I guess I am finding it hard to figure out why it's so much more of a problem than the rehairing.

I see both rehairing and marking a pony as doing damage. It doesn't follow that damage is negative, necessarily, but it is still changing some part of the original. I personally believe if you aren't willing to mark a pony as a rehair (or a repaint), you shouldn't rehair (repaint) it. But that's just my view, and I accept other opinions exist.

I personally do care about who has my ponies after I die, and that they are happy with them. It may not be my problem, but I do care. And I do care that something I do to a pony may affect someone else in the future, which is why I don't use chemicals on ponies either.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 10:35:16 AM »
Definitely a difference of perspective - I can't imagine how a buzz cut is preferable to a properly restored mane that looks like new on display, and is pleasant to brush and touch.  But marks under hooves, those bother me.  They often creep up the pony's foot plastic leaving an ugly stain, and rough cuts to vinyl under my fingers feel nasty.  I don't like the idea of harming my ponies by cutting into them either. 

That said, absolutely everyone is entitled to have a different opinion, I don't presume to be in the majority or to be 'right', it all comes down to personal preference.  Marking isn't even proof against ending up with a rehair when you don't want them, because the seller has to actually mention the marking.  I ended up with a Mimic with initials under her hooves that wasn't mentioned in the sales post, despite being described as 'no major marks, excellent condition'!  Still looking to replace her, blegh.  Now I've gone and made myself sad.  :cry:
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2018, 11:19:30 AM »
I refuse to carve up or mark a pony's vinyl - they have enough condition issues as it stands, without adding more to the mix.  That said I have no intention of selling any of the (two? maybe three) non-custom rerooted ponies I own and they're easily identified as such by popping open their unsealed heads and taking a look inside at all the knots.  Looks nothing like factory weave.

I feel the same way. If I do any heavy restoration on a pony it gets a note inside the body with what was done. Although mostly so I can keep track of it since it would be really simple for someone to remove. :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal