collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does this look like a rehair to you?  (Read 1888 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Re: Does this look like a rehair to you?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 01:41:56 AM »
if you ask me, that's an envy coloured rehair. (dollyhair)
I own the same colour and for me it's a 99 percent match
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 08:47:23 AM »
Is that really the match for Cotton Candy and Sundance?
Maybe it's just my eyes or my screen but they look completely different to me ><

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »
Aside from the length, the limpness of the hair also is an indication of a rehair. (Although some later Euro ponies do have limper hair compared to earlier ponies, like the Schooltime ponies or Romance ponies.  Still, Raspberry Jam should have a lot more body in her hair regardless of where she is from.)

I would always tell a buyer if I rehaired a pony, but I would never write on a pony's hooves.  No way am I making a permanent mark on a vintage pony!  (That said, rehairing is too much work to do on 'sales ponies' imo, ha ha.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 09:56:46 AM »
Maybe it's just my eyes or my screen but they look completely different to me ><

It's not a perfect match, you're absolutely right. The shade is Tea Rose and while it would work well enough you can still see there's a difference.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »

It's not a perfect match, you're absolutely right. The shade is Tea Rose and while it would work well enough you can still see there's a difference.

Hrm, ok. To me it looks entirely different, and not just the texture. But I have been told a lot of times by a lot of people in my real life who think I'm mad for seeing shades of colour they don't see, and fussing about it, so I thought maybe it was just me. To my eyes it doesn't look at all close to being a match.

The Cookery Ponies, Schooltime Ponies can have weirdly shaped hair. And so can a couple of the Sweetberry Ponies in the European release (China, no forelock). Raspberry Jam is actually one of those that can have that feature, but you can still see the difference. Raspberry Jam's hair is richer in shade anyway and the texture is wrong as well as the length. It doesn't fall naturally in the way a rooted pony would.

It's also true for some of the playschool babies.

Actually, I think the seven characters can have "newer" looking hair in some cases as well. It's not that they have shapeless hair, but it is very long. It can look gorgeous like that, or it can look flat and hard to style, even when silky. I have seen rehaired character ponies which look very similar in hair format to the actual pony. I suspect the biggest risk ponies for rehair mixup are ones from these later years. A lot of them have naturally very long and shiny hair as standard. And the old rules about things like pale pink fading are less for sure.

Just for reference:

This is my Melody. I've had her from brand new from the store, so I know 100% she's original. But I think that someone skilled could probably rehair a Melody to look pretty close to that. :/

@LM - IMO if you're willing to replace the hair you've already changed a vintage pony beyond return. Marking the bottom of the hooves is much less intrusive than rehairing is, so it kind of doesn't make sense to me to be willing to do one but not the other.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:30:59 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 05:06:31 PM »

Hrm, ok. To me it looks entirely different, and not just the texture. But I have been told a lot of times by a lot of people in my real life who think I'm mad for seeing shades of colour they don't see, and fussing about it, so I thought maybe it was just me. To my eyes it doesn't look at all close to being a match.

@LM - IMO if you're willing to replace the hair you've already changed a vintage pony beyond return. Marking the bottom of the hooves is much less intrusive than rehairing is, so it kind of doesn't make sense to me to be willing to do one but not the other.

It's not weird at all! I've read there are people who are able to discern subtle color differences better than others, and while others will describe something as blue while another might decribe it as purple! If you ask me you have a gift! In any case you're right, it's definitely not an exact match but is what many would use to rehair said ponies. Some dolly hair colors are closer matches than others.

I also agree with the statement that rehairing, even in terms of restoration is concerned, is already a drastic alteration in terms of modification so signing the bottom to make future collectors aware of it is really not such an absurb idea.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:20:11 PM by kissthethunder »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 06:11:31 PM »
It's not just you, Taffeta, those look like entirely different shades of pink to me, too. Maybe they look closer in colour in real life (I know cameras can distort colours sometimes), but the hank of hair looks much lighter/brighter to me, than CC/Sundance's hair colour.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 06:17:42 PM »
Definitely a rehair, but a very good one! Personally I think either her or Cranberry Muffins is my fave of the set.

As for the ethics of rehairing I think you should always mark the pony in some way (like others said for ex the hooves) just because some people are picky about it. It’s about being open.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 09:55:15 PM »

Yeah, but one change is improving the pony's appearance (assuming her hair was cropped or severely damaged--I would never rehair a pony with good original hair) while the other change is adding a blemish.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 10:45:37 PM »
I refuse to carve up or mark a pony's vinyl - they have enough condition issues as it stands, without adding more to the mix.  That said I have no intention of selling any of the (two? maybe three) non-custom rerooted ponies I own and they're easily identified as such by popping open their unsealed heads and taking a look inside at all the knots.  Looks nothing like factory weave.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 04:31:55 AM »
I refuse to carve up or mark a pony's vinyl - they have enough condition issues as it stands, without adding more to the mix.  That said I have no intention of selling any of the (two? maybe three) non-custom rerooted ponies I own and they're easily identified as such by popping open their unsealed heads and taking a look inside at all the knots.  Looks nothing like factory weave.

I just think that it saves the risk later on to mark a pony now. We can't any of us legislate for the future of our ponies going forwards or who might end up with them. People who don't know ponies aren't likely to pull a head off to check, and shouldn't have to do so to authenticate.

Rehairing is customising. It's restoration, but it's still customising, because it is replacing something original and factory produced with something hand-rooted and individual. Even if it's a good match. So a buyer should always be aware of those alterations having been made.

I also wouldn't write on a pony, but I also don't restore ponies, I leave that to a buyer if they want to do it. I still feel if you are willing to make one change, you should be willing to make more than one. Not everyone agrees a rehair looks better - it's a very subjective thing and all collectors should have the right to choose with full knowledge of the pony's provenance. Nobody here would sell a pony without disclosing, but once the pony is out of our hands, if it's not marked, we've no control over what happens to it next.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 05:33:41 AM »
If that’s how the seller worded it — I purchased it this way — it makes me wonder if the seller suspects it’s a rehair and is trying to sell it off because it’s worth less than what she paid. Just my thoughts.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 07:33:14 AM »

I'm with you Taffeta.  I see WAY more colours than most people... it made my painting professor infuriated enough that she went on an expletive-laced screaming rant at me during one class!  That hank of hair looks very very very different than the original hair on the ponies, but I can see what colour it's trying to be!  :-p 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 07:35:19 AM »

I'm with you Taffeta.  I see WAY more colours than most people... it made my painting professor infuriated enough that she went on an expletive-laced screaming rant at me during one class!  That hank of hair looks very very very different than the original hair on the ponies, but I can see what colour it's trying to be!  :-p 

Yay :D It's so nice to know it's not just me! I drive my family crazy with "does this go with this because it's not the exact shade of that" questions. And I guess that's also why I am a little obsessed with minor variations in body and hair colour on ponies too. But it's a big relief to me to know I'm not the only one who doesn't see that as a match.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 10:01:20 AM »
I just think that it saves the risk later on to mark a pony now. We can't any of us legislate for the future of our ponies going forwards or who might end up with them. People who don't know ponies aren't likely to pull a head off to check, and shouldn't have to do so to authenticate.

Risk to whom?  A future person I don't care about because I'll be dead when my ponies leave my possession?  In exchange for risk now, and definitely detracting from my own personal enjoyment of my collection by defacing them.  One is fixing damage, the other is causing it.  I don't see those two as equivalent.  Each to their own though!  Everyone is certainly welcome to do with their own ponies as they wish.   It's not that hard to ask a seller to check if rehairs are that much of a personal pet peeve.

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal