collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: International travellers for the MLP Fair  (Read 634 times)

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+83)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
International travellers for the MLP Fair
« on: May 03, 2018, 02:23:51 PM »
Who else is travelling from outside the US to the MLP Fair?  I've seen a few Canadians mention they are coming already.

I'm travelling from Australia and it's my first overseas trip.  My passport is ready to go for my 25.5 hour journey.  Funnily enough, because my timezone is ahead of the US, I will be arriving in the US at the time I left home.  Literally the longest day of my life!
Follow me on Instagram: @bargainbinredhead
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+379)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
Re: International travellers for the MLP Fair
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 07:44:38 PM »
I'm coming from Berlin in Germany. It will be my 2nd fair after 2016 and I'll vend again with my best friend. I'm in need of my ESTA application yet and the flight via Amsterdam won't take too long.

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • http://www.undead455.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 09:48:04 PM »
i can not wait to meet you 2 because if you are traveling for that long i got to go talk to you .

i am coming with my sister and another collector from quebec canada .... not to bad a 3 hour flight

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+70)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 11:23:37 AM »
I'm also coming from Canada. I'm only about 2 hours away from Drusilla, but we're driving down so it's a 21 hour trip for us.

Elf

Offline reddsetgogirl

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 10:23:15 AM »
Elfpony, you are insane. Driving for 21 hours?! How many days are you breaking that up into?

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 12:14:07 AM »
Elfpony, you are insane. Driving for 21 hours?! How many days are you breaking that up into?

Are road trips not a thing in Australia? (honest question, lol!) :wonder:

My grandmother will not fly, so multiple times a year we make an 18 hour trip to bring her back and forth from FL.  :drunk: It's a long, boring drive, but it can be fun if you make the best of it.

Offline reddsetgogirl

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 11:45:42 AM »

Good question! Contrary to what world maps suggest, Australia and America are similarly sized however we generally live on the edges of the country as the centre is all desert and even the majority of top half isn't suitable for living in; astoundingly hot, monsoons, primarily desert conditions. The two furthest points is also a similar distance to the US but you're driving through extensive periods where the road is the only thing to look at. There is nothing to see or do to break up a trip. If your car breaks down, you are waiting for hours before someone can help you out. On top of that, phone reception is very limited.  Not to scare anyone but people do break down and can't contact anyone, leading to them lost in the desert.

There is a train line that goes across the width of Australia. It takes three days to get to your destination and is extremely expensive. For just one person you are looking at US$745 up to $2,240. It's not an option for most people though it is safer.

Basically, it's incredibly boring, a little unsafe and flying is pretty cheap so the road is mostly just trucks. People here would very seldom do more than a 10 hour drive in a single day. I'm aviophobic, flying freaks me out but even I would pick a flight over an 8+ hour drive.

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 04:34:56 PM »

Good question! Contrary to what world maps suggest, Australia and America are similarly sized however we generally live on the edges of the country as the centre is all desert and even the majority of top half isn't suitable for living in; astoundingly hot, monsoons, primarily desert conditions. The two furthest points is also a similar distance to the US but you're driving through extensive periods where the road is the only thing to look at. There is nothing to see or do to break up a trip. If your car breaks down, you are waiting for hours before someone can help you out. On top of that, phone reception is very limited.  Not to scare anyone but people do break down and can't contact anyone, leading to them lost in the desert.

There is a train line that goes across the width of Australia. It takes three days to get to your destination and is extremely expensive. For just one person you are looking at US$745 up to $2,240. It's not an option for most people though it is safer.

Basically, it's incredibly boring, a little unsafe and flying is pretty cheap so the road is mostly just trucks. People here would very seldom do more than a 10 hour drive in a single day. I'm aviophobic, flying freaks me out but even I would pick a flight over an 8+ hour drive.
Thanks! That all makes total sense. The chance of being stranded in the middle of nowhere for days would definitely keep me from driving across Australia. Here (or at least in the eastern half of the USA) you may spend a few hours driving through the "middle of nowhere", but even then there will be small towns eventually to get food, gas, etc.

I think much of my perspective of life in other countries comes from pony people. :P :heart: Thank you!!

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 09:35:30 AM »
I'm another coming from Canada but I don't drive so I'll be flying in.   

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+70)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 11:15:03 AM »
Short answer: yes we are. XD  But we do love a road trip, so here we are. We're breaking it up into two days on the way down, three on the way back. :)

Elf

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+245)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 11:19:30 AM »
I’m driving in from Ontario Canada with my hubby and son. Can’t wait!!
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~Deflock Commissions
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • MOC Mimic
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 01:37:01 PM »
I'm here from the UK and waiting in line. If you see a specky Brit in a G1 shirt and denim shorts then say hi :D