collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: One Quick Question About So-Soft Ponies  (Read 1439 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
One Quick Question About So-Soft Ponies
« on: July 29, 2018, 08:03:14 PM »
Hi everyone! I have a quick question about so-soft ponies brought up by something my aunt had told me.
Apparently, I was supposed to get more g1 ponies than I already got (which is a can of worms in and of itself), but after identifying one of the ponies I was supposed to get (Shady), my aunt said something that interested me. She told me the longer they had her [Shady] the more her flocking started turning white.
Is there a reason for this? Is this like a normal thing or was my aunt just remembering things wrong? I think it's because the flocking was becoming worn, but I have no idea due to 1) my limited knowledge on So-Softs and 2) not seeing the pony in question for myself.
Any information is helpful, thank you!  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: One Quick Question About So-Soft Ponies
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 02:04:59 AM »
The flocking is always white...
The two things that change is glue turns yellow..
And as you said, a rub would change the appearance too.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:48:04 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline starstrider

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 05:28:56 AM »
As Banditpony said, So Softs tend to yellow with time as the adhesive for the flocking ages.  I've never encountered a So Soft which discoloured to white!  Of the flocking is rubbed off, there's actually a very bright colour underneath - for example, SS Shady looks quite pastel due to the layer of white flocking, but if you deflock her she is shocking NEON pink underneath.  Perhaps your Aunt misremembered...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 06:32:41 AM »
I've never seen a white Shady. Perhaps she mistook her for Scrumptious or Cupcake?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 06:39:48 AM »
When So Soft ponies' flocking gets matted, it can take on a "foggy" appearance, which does make the pony look white.

It's not due to glue yellowing (although that can also happen to So Softs).  If you wash a So Soft with this condition, its symbols will become clear and visible while the pony is wet.  But once the flocking dries, her symbol will become obscured again.

Here's a random eBay picture of Bouncy.  If you look at her front legs, you can see the 'whiteness' from the matted flocking.

Buttons, also from eBay, with fogging so bad that her symbols are barely visible even though she's obviously been washed and cleaned.  (She also has yellowing glue, which can be seen on her lower legs, but mostly her appearance is just due to matted flocking.)

I call it the fog of war. :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:43:55 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 06:47:01 AM »
When So Soft ponies' flocking gets matted, it can take on a "foggy" appearance, which does make the pony look white.

It's not due to glue yellowing (although that can also happen to So Softs).  If you wash a So Soft with this condition, its symbols will become clear and visible while the pony is wet.  But once the flocking dries, her symbol will become obscured again.

Here's a random eBay picture of Bouncy.  If you look at her front legs, you can see the 'whiteness' from the matted flocking.

Buttons, also from eBay, with fogging so bad that her symbols are barely visible even though she's obviously been washed and cleaned.  (She also has yellowing glue, which can be seen on her lower legs, but mostly her appearance is just due to matted flocking.)

I call it the fog of war. :P

Let loose the Fogs of War!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 06:47:43 AM »
LEEEEROY JENKINS  :lol:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 10:06:10 AM »

Well, I wasn't quite saying it was yellowed glue. I'm was saying that was one thing that can change a color of a so soft through out time.

But new/mint so softs can have very dense white flock. (I'm thinking not all mint so softs have super dense coverage. It probably varies with each batch). I think at that stage the symbol is the most .. fogged?

:( I wish I kept a pic insanely mint flocked hippity hop. She was a good example of how "white" mint so-softs look.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:17:13 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 01:35:33 PM »
Even minty So-Softs exhibit 'fogging' - it's just the flocking, though it will look more white (like Bouncy's legs above) if the flocking is bent or being viewed at an angle.  I've never seen a So-Soft with clearly discernible symbols unless it was deflocked!
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »
Good point about new So Softs also having very thick flocking . . . It's just the way of the set, I guess.

The 2nd set of So-Softs usually have pretty clear symbols, but that is due to them having radically different, shorter flocking.  It really hit home for me when I got both a 1st set Hippity Hop and a 2nd set Hippity Hop.  The 2nd set isn't nearly as "fluffy".

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 04:02:07 PM »
I think she was talking about the foggy flocking. I remember I showed her what she looked like de-flocked and that's when she pointed out that overtime Shady's flocking started to turn whiter and whiter.
The flocking, not the pony itself is the key thing so I'm guessing the flocking was just turning really foggy. But if I ever find the exact Shady, I will let all of you know.

Also now I have a new thing to look out for on so-softs since I did not know that the flocking could turn foggy like that  :blink:

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal