collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where is everyone finding these amazing pony hauls?!  (Read 7967 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Where is everyone finding these amazing pony hauls?!
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »
Trading also fell by the wayside when shipping prices got very high about 5 years ago.  :(  So that is a definite barrier to international trades whether one likes it or not. 

That is also true. I remember my first ebay pony ever cost $4 to ship from the US to the UK. Now she'd cost at least $14 and probably $23 as she was an adult sea pony and they are heavier. True, that was 1998, but how times change.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2018, 05:02:34 PM »
I still find ponies at thrifts. no giants lots, usually just one or two here. 2 months ago I found a Baby Princess sparkle, but I usually go to multiple thrift stores several times a week.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2018, 05:05:09 PM »
It takes a lot more legwork to find ponies these days than it did in previous years, mostly because of things already mentioned; second hand shops are more savvy that old toys can bring a premium, it's easy to sell online, there are price guides and ID sites accessible anywhere thanks to the internet, and flippers.  Our local shops get picked over by the dealers multiple times a day, so it's pure luck if you find anything good.  Going often helps, but you have to be prepared to come home with nothing a lot.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2018, 05:11:05 PM »
Shipping prices being that much cheaper a few years ago would explain how I got a UK pony for Christmas over a decade ago.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2018, 08:20:14 PM »
I have been collecting for 17 years and I have never found a g1 in a thrift shop, garage sale or antique store. I did once have a friend who found some in an abandoned house man years back, but that is as close as I’ve been. I have found g3s and g4s many places though. I’m still waiting for my big find, I know it will happen 😁
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2018, 01:05:10 AM »
Here in Australia finding G1s in the wild is almost unheard of.  Every now and then someone will have a lucky find at a car boot sale or in a secondhand store, but it's just really uncommon to find vintage ponies in bargain bins.  In all the time I've been collecting (10+ years), I've only ever found G1s in the wild on three separate occasions.  Anything from G3s onwards are much more prevalent.  I've all but given up on finding ponies in the wild.  I no longer go out of my way to frequent car boot sales or markets, because it rarely pays off. 

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2018, 06:34:21 AM »
My local thrift store has long dry spells, I usually get lucky once a year for gen one at the flea market in the local area.  I will say I dont even see gen 3 often and never found a gen 2 in the wild yet.  I do have a local antiques mall, but they have them once in a blue moon, dealer wise.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2018, 06:39:45 AM »
That is also true. I remember my first ebay pony ever cost $4 to ship from the US to the UK. Now she'd cost at least $14 and probably $23 as she was an adult sea pony and they are heavier. True, that was 1998, but how times change.

Even in 2008 it was only $4 to ship a pony from the US to The Netherlands. I remember because I started buying ponies online at that time (many of them from the US). Now I really have to sift through the sellers to make sure I don't eyeball a pretty pony from the US, because the shipping will scare me off anyway. :( And even when I do buy ponies from the US, I have to keep it under €22, or else I will get a massive import fee. -_-

They sure know how to take the fun out of international trading...

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2018, 07:24:19 AM »
I've noticed that I have better luck finding good deals in smaller towns. I live in a big city and have terrible luck at thrift stores, and then when I visited my grandma in her tiny town in Minnesota, I suddenly hit the jackpot in Goodwill. My other grandma lives in a small town in Georgia so when I visit her this summer I'm putting my theory to the test.

I actually have good luck at local flea markets, thought. I can usually find at least 4 or 5 G1s each visit.

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2018, 07:57:23 AM »
I have been collecting for 17 years and I have never found a g1 in a thrift shop, garage sale or antique store. I did once have a friend who found some in an abandoned house man years back, but that is as close as I’ve been. I have found g3s and g4s many places though. I’m still waiting for my big find, I know it will happen 😁
Wow! I have a strange facination with abandonded places and watch a lot of Urbex videos (not brave enough to myself lol) Maybe i should start breaking into empty properties in search for G1  :biggrin: Did you keep them?

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2018, 08:01:17 AM »

Even in 2008 it was only $4 to ship a pony from the US to The Netherlands. I remember because I started buying ponies online at that time (many of them from the US). Now I really have to sift through the sellers to make sure I don't eyeball a pretty pony from the US, because the shipping will scare me off anyway. :( And even when I do buy ponies from the US, I have to keep it under €22, or else I will get a massive import fee. -_-

They sure know how to take the fun out of international trading...

Yeah. I can relate on all levels.

Back in the early days we had to send $ in cash and it was a nusiance when someone sent a money order but it didn't really happen very often. In spite of the cash trend, things worked out pretty well. Sending cash is bad. But people were less likely to flake and the costs of things were more reasonable. Custom charges also happened but were more like random selection than every package coming in.

It just got worse with the GSP which allowed sellers to take our money with no respect for us as buyers in terms of how we receive our item, what happens to it, how much additional we are charged for the privelege or anything else. I dread to think how many MOC and delicate items have been lost forever because of that system.

I totally understand why there are people in this day and age who don't want to ship internationally given all of this. I also understand why people don't want to buy internationally given that people outside of the US have the most hassle from trying to buy from abroad. I would rather the GSP didn't exist and people just shipped where they wanted to ship, because good luck to you getting any help or sympathy from a GSP seller if they don't care about shipping overseas. It's mostly not their problem because in a lot of cases ebay has forced it on them, rather than it being their choice to use it. (I have had one exception to this where a GSP seller went above and beyond to sort out a mistake he made in shipping boxes and he was excellent, I am mentioning this to ensure I am being entirely fair in my judgement - but he is an exception).

The only thing that irks me is that people try to make out that international people are somehow trouble or hassle and that's the reason not to ship overseas. There are lots of valid reasons not to ship overseas without being offensive to other collectors based on their geography...not least because most of these people who take that line are happy to buy from us troublesome foreigners, just not sell to us. It's hurtful to know that if the roles were reversed and they had something I wanted, I'd just get the door slammed in my face for being 'hassle'.

This also makes it much harder to trade overseas. There are only so many times that you can be told foreigners are trouble before you just give up and head to ebay.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2018, 09:30:01 AM »
There was a time that I used to get pouty (real crybabypeepants here) if I didn't find a *few* new G1 once a month. We used to be saturated here (80% of my collection has been found locally). I don't have time to thrift as much as I used to, I'm lucky if I grab a dozen G1's a year now... I'd like to say it has dropped off quite a bit in the last 3 years.

Edit-I am always open to trades with members in other countries, even if shipping is stinky now-a-days.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:32:35 AM by mlp4me »

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2018, 05:24:57 PM »
I live in a large Canadian city and have had pretty good luck. Not big lots but finding one here and there. This past year has been very dry though, I've barely found any. I check my thrift stores once or twice a week. I don't check garage sales very often but I'm going to try to do that more this year. My flea market has a booth with lots of ponies but he's a reseller so the prices are inflated and they're not always in good condition. I managed to get a large lot on Kijiji but it wasn't cheap. Otherwise word of mouth is really good. My friends and family know I collect ponies so I've been able to acquire a few from friends of friends getting rid of childhood ponies and one of my friends used to work in a community centre and when the preschool closed she found a bin of really bad condition ponies and rescued them for me. It's getting very very hard to find them and I think you need to be diligent in checking really often to find anything. I also know that there are a few collectors in my city and at least 2 resellers so I have competition. I do hope that the other collectors are finding them before the resellers though  :shake: Keep looking, you never know what you might find. 

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2018, 06:34:51 PM »
Ahh, I have never even found a G4 in a thrift store  :lol: I think I must be in a super pony-dry area...

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 08:54:16 AM »
You've been praying to the Pony Gods, right?  That's step one.  It's very important in receiving pony luck.  I suggest making small offerings of MLP combs and brushes at your nearest Pony temple.

When you do get pony luck, it is wise to thank the Pony Gods for their prosperous bounty.
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal