collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where is everyone finding these amazing pony hauls?!  (Read 7970 times)

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
Re: Where is everyone finding these amazing pony hauls?!
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »
My first G1 in summer 04 was in a family run thrift shop in a rural town. Fast forward to last summer and I found three G1s in a Goodwill plus a G3. I found a G3 two weeks ago but that's been it. Mostly it's no ponies at all. Location? Folks selling on eBay or even the thrift shops. Who knows but it makes me sad.

Happy hunting everyone.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »
You've been praying to the Pony Gods, right?  That's step one.  It's very important in receiving pony luck.  I suggest making small offerings of MLP combs and brushes at your nearest Pony temple.

When you do get pony luck, it is wise to thank the Pony Gods for their prosperous bounty.

I will try this  ;)

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline cookifaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »
My luck is always hit-and-miss. I have found quite a few ponies at carboots, I always get there early so I can snap them up before someone else can get them! :lol:

My local charity shop have actually saved any G1 ponies they've got in for me for about 10 years now. Its not that often, but I have got a few from them!

My best advice would be to look for mislabeled pony bundles on eBay. Quite a few people don't realise what they actually have and so completely mislabel them. I got the Crimp 'n' Curl Hair Salon, quite a few ponies and lots of accessories for a fiver because they were just listed under 'Pony Accessories' ^.^

Offline emily_katie

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2018, 02:34:09 PM »
My luck is always hit-and-miss. I have found quite a few ponies at carboots, I always get there early so I can snap them up before someone else can get them! :lol:

My local charity shop have actually saved any G1 ponies they've got in for me for about 10 years now. Its not that often, but I have got a few from them!

My best advice would be to look for mislabeled pony bundles on eBay. Quite a few people don't realise what they actually have and so completely mislabel them. I got the Crimp 'n' Curl Hair Salon, quite a few ponies and lots of accessories for a fiver because they were just listed under 'Pony Accessories' ^.^

I have met someone who is well known to their charity shops and they get ponies saved for them :3 I would ask my locals to do that but they probably think I'm Crazy enough anyway let alone being cheeky and asking for favours! I quite often look up 'My little pony' on ebay since a lot of people just list old ponies under that name :)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2018, 12:53:34 AM »
Here is where I make myself sound old, but...

I miss the old days where ebay rarely had a picture (or if it did, it was a pony shoved in a scanner, or several shoved in a scanner), there was no gallery option and thus finding a bargain was genuinely a matter of actual hunting skill. I mean, it still is to some degree, with the search terms and also being able to spot a rare item in a lot of ponies that's been badly photographed...but it's not like it used to be.

I know it sounds like that ought to be a bad thing, but it levelled the playing field so far as price went. Now because of the quality of seller photos or at least the presence of them on the list screen, ponies mostly sell according to who can pay the most. I'm not saying that never happened in the past either, but when all you had was a list of descriptions or a small blurry picture that wasn't on the main page, it took time and effort to go through looking for some clue that the pony you wanted was in a lot.

I am certain one of the reasons pony prices have gone up on certain ponies is that it's now easier to spot them and so more people bid. Whereas in the past you had to take chances. If my baby Susie came up now, I wouldn't get her. I wouldn't be able to, she'd be snapped up for a high price by someone with more money than I have. I got her because back then she was badly labelled, badly pictured and not identified as a promotional alternate version, just as baby Susie. Because at that time most people online were in the US, most people then weren't familiar enough with Baby Susie's set to know this one was different, so I got her for a bargain.

That happens less these days. And with the growing trend of sellers relisting to get a higher price even when they've put something up for BIN or whatever, it means getting a bargain is so much harder.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline cookifaa

• Ouchy Roids Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2018, 02:22:19 PM »
I've seen buyers up prices after auctions weren't successful too! It baffles me. If something didn't sell the first time round its either because it's starting price was too high or it isn't in good condition. So why up the price? I saw a horribly aged gingerbread for a starting price of £9.99. Understandably she didn't sell, but now shes up for £15.99 buy it now!

It's crazy.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »
I've seen buyers up prices after auctions weren't successful too! It baffles me. If something didn't sell the first time round its either because it's starting price was too high or it isn't in good condition. So why up the price? I saw a horribly aged gingerbread for a starting price of £9.99. Understandably she didn't sell, but now shes up for £15.99 buy it now!

It's crazy.

Immediate removal from my watchlist - any item on which that happens.
If it didn't sell at the lower price, it isn't going to sell at the higher one. Stop being greedy, sellers.

But that is at least better than selling an item and then cancelling it and relisting it at a higher price.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2018, 03:15:00 PM »

It's crazy.

That's... really odd. If you've failed to sell something and you really want to sell it, wouldn't you make it cheaper?

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline emily_katie

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2018, 04:08:54 PM »

It's crazy.

That's... really odd. If you've failed to sell something and you really want to sell it, wouldn't you make it cheaper?
Absolutely ridiculous I agree, maybe they think Ponies get more valuable with passing days  :yikes:

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2018, 11:03:24 PM »

It's crazy.

I can only assume that the seller had a "watch" count for that pony - if a large number of potential buyers had placed that pony on their watch-lists then the seller may have thought that putting a (higher) BIN would spur one on to take the plunge.

I think you can have an option to show if your item is being watched or not? i.e. made public or just private to the seller?

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2018, 11:49:28 PM »
If so they are naive. People watch overpriced auctions with the hope the price will come down. Otherwise they would bid...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2018, 01:03:47 AM »
Keep an eye out in odd places. I was at a small scifi convention yesterday. Some vendors had totes of $1 action figures ect on the floor near each table. I found a Moondancer! It's only one but every one counts.

Passing on the tip to pay forward the good luck I was given. :happy: :newpony:

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2018, 06:18:15 AM »
maybe it’s been said but I think it’s harder to find older MLP because people who arent typically MLP collectors think “Old toys are valuable” and buy to resell whenever they see them at thrift.

When compared to ten years ago these same people would have seen MLP and just though “oh a horse toy” and moved on.

eta

for example , at my largest thrift store for years i’ve seen people in the old book section with their ebay an open on their phone doing serious in store research.  just yesterday I saw this same thing happening in toys!

so people are shopping the thrifts for secondary resell income.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:24:10 AM by gabumon »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2018, 07:04:47 AM »
maybe it’s been said but I think it’s harder to find older MLP because people who arent typically MLP collectors think “Old toys are valuable” and buy to resell whenever they see them at thrift.

When compared to ten years ago these same people would have seen MLP and just though “oh a horse toy” and moved on.

I don't know if this is just the UK, but people were doing that over here ten years ago too. It's got worse since the publication of the price guides, I've seen people WITH them at toy fairs which is doubly ridiculous given they're printed in $ and the availability of ponies in the UK is completely unrelated to that in the US - not to mention out of date, so yeah, whatever.

But people have been buying to resell ponies here for a very long time.

What's interesting is that you can tell if a dealer has been through...because they also often buy up the fakies. Today at the boot sale I went to, the regular on site dealer who buys up ponies to resell at a price hike had 95% fakies in her box. She did have some G3 for £1.50 each but I had them all and so wasn't interested. But I knew she hadn't been around today's sale because I found other (g4) pony stuff for cheaper.

There was another lady who was super annoying - she was telling everyone who asked her about stuff how much she paid for it, and how much she said it was therefore worth. She had a Cadence that talked and lights up and when I asked her about it I got a whole spiel about how much it cost her new and stuff. I left it in the end. I'm not responsible for paying for her poor buying decisions, or retail price hikes.

So it's not just those. I still manage to find pony stuff but the dearth of G1 is generational more than anything. Kids mostly have G3 and G4 so that's what I find. Today I got a FS Rarity (she needs a lot of help) and a water cutie Rarity for 50p each. That#'s the same rate I would pay often for G1 back when they were plentiful. I think dealers have always been a problem. I think dealers + reduced availability + existence of online selling options and price guides just makes it worse.

BUT the fact some folk still find stuff means there remains hope. Although I suspect that the huge number of ponies sold in the US vs the UK and other smaller countries probably has an impact on how available second hand ponies still are.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2018, 07:12:16 AM »
Also....  I mention this option ONLY if you have a lot of money to spend...  you can post a wanted ad on your local sales sites. 

Sometimes  you find someone who has a giant box of  MLP in their garage, as they won't bother to create an account somewhere and list it for only $50, but if you jog their interest that they may get $80 out of you for the whole bin, they'll answer your Wanted ad. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal