collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where is everyone finding these amazing pony hauls?!  (Read 7969 times)

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Where is everyone finding these amazing pony hauls?!
« on: April 29, 2018, 03:15:26 AM »
I started collecting G1 in Jaunary so granted I have not been on the scene for too long but something I have noticed is how impossible it is to find any ponies past G4 in second hand shops?

I think this might be a UK problem as other collectors I know from the UK have similar bad luck with finding vintage toys of any kind  :what:

So I put this to you, how is vintage toy hunting, particularly MLP in your area? Has your luck changed in recent years?
I personally think it might be a thing with us Brits to want to sell off our old things rather than donate, ebay is full of G1 listings and none are that cheap either
:cloud:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Where is everyone finding these amazing pony hauls?!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 04:42:23 AM »
It is harder to find g1 in the wild in the UK but not impossible. It just takes patience. The years if plentiful g1 carboot hauls are long over and the UK is a smaller country than the US for example so we would have had smaller runs anyway.

You just have to be vigilant. Also check antique fairs and stuff as well.

What you say about the UK is true though. We sell more than donate ponies.

I admit most of what I pick up now is for trade and if there are big boxes of ponies I am pickier as people tend to be able to ID stuff too and price it.

The worst thing that ever happened to pony trading is the existence of printed price guides. I have seen a few dealers with them and their existence means people know something is collectable. Only mostly they will try and charge the max price irrespective of condition. Dealers sweep second hand markets too...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:47:54 AM »
Some areas in the US are honestly the same way. I've only seen one (maybe 2) G1s out in the wild of my area and the daughter of a lady that I went to church with had them (It was Scoops) and I saw wanted to ask her mom about the pony (couldn't ask the kid because she was under the age of 5 at the time).

Other than that I have only found two G3s at a Garage sale one year... So it really does depend on the area too. Both of our Goodwills never have anything really worth it and I can't go often sadly (one barely has any toys when I go to it to start with)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline mewthemew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 05:55:27 AM »
Around where I live in the US, which is quite a poor place, you *can* find G1 ponies in thrift shops, but they're usually up for 5 dollars a piece because they're old. Personally, I find a lot of G3 and up(and fakies which I do actually collect.) figures in plentiful supply going thrifting because they're not considered old and 'therefore must be really valuable.'

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 05:55:50 AM »
A lot of UK charity shops also now list ponies on ebay.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sweet Stuff

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Lil Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 05:56:53 AM »
I always think the same! I have never had a truly good haul, but 2 weeks ago I did find a few G3 ponies in a charity shop in my town. It's the only shop in my town that often has decent toys. I do see a few dolls around in some shops, like Barbies and Bratz, but it bugs me when they're unclothed so I don't bother.

My mum also managed to pick me up a couple of G3 ponies from our local car boot a couple of years back, but that car boot doesn't exist anymore.

I can't really report on proper field car boots, due to working weekends I don't often get to go.
But I stop working weekends next week and will trek around! I'll let you all know if I get lucky.

So yeah, to sum it up, the luck in the UK seems dry. Especially in small towns.
Currently looking for: NIP G1 Sweet Stuff.

Offline emily_katie

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 05:58:43 AM »
Dealers sweep second hand markets too...

Ugh totally agree! I often see listings on ebay and other such places where someone has very clearly picked a lot of ponies up at a charity shop and are just selling on for profit with no real passion for mlp or vintage toys...

When I was a child I collected the old style polly pockets and probably since 2009? I have only seen one of those in the wild too... priced at 40 pounds...  :cloud:

Post Merge: April 29, 2018, 06:01:46 AM

Some areas in the US are honestly the same way. I've only seen one (maybe 2) G1s out in the wild of my area and the daughter of a lady that I went to church with had them (It was Scoops) and I saw wanted to ask her mom about the pony (couldn't ask the kid because she was under the age of 5 at the time).

Other than that I have only found two G3s at a Garage sale one year... So it really does depend on the area too. Both of our Goodwills never have anything really worth it and I can't go often sadly (one barely has any toys when I go to it to start with)

There is quite a few chairty shops (Goodwill equivelent) near my house so i often scour them hoping for anything worthwile, literally never found anything lower than a G3! i often see videos and posts from US citizens with these absolutely crazy hauls and im just like how?! totally feel your pain!

Post Merge: April 29, 2018, 06:04:13 AM

Around where I live in the US, which is quite a poor place, you *can* find G1 ponies in thrift shops, but they're usually up for 5 dollars a piece because they're old. Personally, I find a lot of G3 and up(and fakies which I do actually collect.) figures in plentiful supply going thrifting because they're not considered old and 'therefore must be really valuable.'
I'm at uni currently and where i live could be considered to be a poor area, and its the same here, g3 and g4 sometimes but thats rare too, people sell rather than donate to make a bit of money and really i dont blame them?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:04:13 AM by emily_katie »

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 06:05:44 AM »
I'm not sure if this applies in the UK but I get the sense that college towns, cities with universities seem to have better variety of toys donated.  In contrast to regular rural towns.  I think it might have something to do with extreme childhood toy clearouts?? as kids go off to college?

Or maybe it's just the size of town? 100K or larger population?  I think if you have 2 or 3 thrift shops in town your odds are higher too.

Offline emily_katie

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 06:07:36 AM »
A lot of UK charity shops also now list ponies on ebay.
I have noticed that too. Fair play getting the most for your chairty but let me get these sweet deals please!  :cry:
Noticed your signature, are you the curator of the mlp scrapbook? its helped me tons with identifying and understanding the UK timeline :)

Post Merge: April 29, 2018, 06:12:16 AM

So yeah, to sum it up, the luck in the UK seems dry. Especially in small towns.
Tbh i live in a city (Liverpool) and its dead here too? My home town is quite small but i have better luck there because i think people are less inclined to be bothered to sell their things (lots of posh people)

I'm not sure if this applies in the UK but I get the sense that college towns, cities with universities seem to have better variety of toys donated.  In contrast to regular rural towns.  I think it might have something to do with extreme childhood toy clearouts?? as kids go off to college?

Or maybe it's just the size of town? 100K or larger population?  I think if you have 2 or 3 thrift shops in town your odds are higher too.

Its possible, as i said i live in Liverpool, theres 4 universities round these parts but second hand stores full of trash, perhaps i would have a better luck if i went to uni in a high income area  :drunk:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:12:16 AM by emily_katie »

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 06:20:22 AM »
I haven't found a wild G1 in years.  I go look every now and then, but pretty much a waste of my time. 

Offline ghouldilocks

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 06:24:48 AM »
I see them pop up in the wild quite a bit, but I'm lucky to live in a large metroplex. There are a lot of flea markets and secondhand shops in my area! Sometimes it is very few and far between, but sometimes I come across an amazing haul. I've had great luck with secondhand sales apps, too, so you should maybe look into those! Often, people selling secondhand don't always know what they have and don't bother to do research on the value.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 06:28:36 AM »
It was only a few years back that I was finding G1s fairly often at a local car boot. These days I'm lucky if I see a G3, let alone a G1. G4s are plentiful, though.

I do think that eBay and other, similar sites have played a large part in that. So many resellers attend the car boot sales around here, you're lucky if you find something that's branded.

Post Merge: April 29, 2018, 06:01:46 AM

There is quite a few chairty shops (Goodwill equivelent) near my house so i often scour them hoping for anything worthwile, literally never found anything lower than a G3! i often see videos and posts from US citizens with these absolutely crazy hauls and im just like how?! totally feel your pain!

The last time I saw a G1 at a charity store was about 7 years or so ago. It was the Lullaby Nursery, with the accessories sold in separate baggies. These days all I find are the odd G3, and loads of the cheap Tesco/Asda/etc. fakies.  :zzz:

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 06:44:24 AM »
That's why I call it a pony hunt!  You get very good at spotting tails and hooves sticking out of boxes!  LOL 

Don't give up - people find them "in the wild" regularly, it's a timing thing.  Just keep looking...

And try to trade with as many UKer's as you can find on this forum, that helps.  You can't be at every single carboot sale and neither can they...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 06:45:46 AM »
US resident here but I wonder if it’s easier to find them at antique/flea markets than in thrift stores these days. Because those instances are specifically for older items right? And to me thrift stores (while fun places to go) sometimes can have a lot of “junk” at least to us toy collectors. Like naked Barbies and boxed baby toys and stuff.

And sometimes it’s just a part of playing the game unfortunatly, getting lucky is a rare event! That’s why it’s so much sweeter when luck Does strike.

WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline emily_katie

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 07:02:44 AM »
I haven't found a wild G1 in years.  I go look every now and then, but pretty much a waste of my time.
I fear my luck might be the same as yours  :sad:

I've had great luck with secondhand sales apps, too, so you should maybe look into those! Often, people selling secondhand don't always know what they have and don't bother to do research on the value.

The only time I have found G1 and G2 outside of Ebay is on Facebook market place, absolute steal as well. I check every day (Yes I'm that boring) and a new huge G1 listing has popped up... £120 pounds is a little out of my budget though!

[/quote]

And try to trade with as many UKer's as you can find on this forum, that helps.  You can't be at every single carboot sale and neither can they...

Trading seems like a wonderful idea and it something i intend to try out soon!

US resident here but I wonder if it’s easier to find them at antique/flea markets than in thrift stores these days. Because those instances are specifically for older items right?

I'm not sure how common antique fairs/flea markets are over here, I certainly have never seen one advertised but perhaps I'm not looking hard enough

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal