collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to display fading pink?  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
How to display fading pink?
« on: April 28, 2018, 09:11:58 AM »
Hello! I recently acquired a huge lot (nearly a hundred G1s) so naturally, I have a lot more variety in my collection now. A good number of the girls I got have really pink hair. A few are barely even faded. I'd like to display them without damaging their hair, though.

So, is there any way to display fading pink without it fading? My collection resides in my room, which has a lot of natural light in it during the day. Also, since it's my room, the lights are on a lot. With all this light will I have to keep my ponies in storage?

I really don't want to hurt my ponies! Thanks in advance :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How to display fading pink?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 10:39:27 AM »
Unfortunately the only way to avoid light damage is to cut out all the light.  Natural light is the most damaging but even indoor lighting is energy and affects materials.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 11:02:12 AM »
Yeah.... I would recommend putting your collection in the room with the LEAST amount of natural sunlight. 
Use blackout blinds if you have to, that's what my bedroom has...

Also we have LED lighting, not sure if that's any different than light bulbs, but it does emit different light.

I have to keep my ponies far, far away from our indoor plant lighting, too!  It emits the same wavelength that plants need to grow, also breaks down chemicals LOL 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »
Just keep em outta sunlight. I can't wait to see them. Holy guacamole! Nearly 100 g1s is awesome!!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »
I say keep them out of any kind of light, tbh. We know the red (pink) dye in the hair is already  sensitive.

Sunlight might make it fade faster, but indoor lighting will ALSO make it fade if you give it enough time.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 12:08:29 PM »
As the others said, there's no other way to preserve Fading Pink than keeping it out of any light. My Newborn Yoyo's tail is living proof : the pink stayed where the tail is inside the body.
Don't mind the French.♫
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 01:03:15 AM »
My fading pink ponies live in the corners of my glass door display cabinets.  The frame of the glass doors hide them when closed but when the doors are open you can see them.  Some do live on raisers so they are the furthest back.  In addition to this, my cabinets do not face windows.
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 08:13:49 AM »
Thanks everyone :) I might be able to display them in my closet, but that's pretty much it. (And I will post a brag if anyone is wondering, but it will be a while!)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 09:44:26 PM »
If you still want to be able to see the pony herself/have them out, you can also do tinfoil over the hair.
No light can pass through foil, so if you use it really well/clean edges & all so it covers every bit of fading pink (like a shower cap) you can at least have the ponies on display. My room has no window but I still fear fading because I turn on the lights sometimes, so I foiled over the hair of my most exposed ones.
I seriously wish they'd stop using that stupid color. It's very pretty but I'm positive there's some other pink that doesn't have its flaw but is 99% the same color. And it's such a shame because while yes you can dye it to at least get 'pink hair', once it's gone there doesn't really seem a reliable way to get that exact, nice color back again.

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 08:47:20 AM »
My ponies are kept in my bedroom where there isn't much natural sunlight. I also rarely have my lights on, so it's usually pretty dark in there. I also avoid putting them in direct sunlight for photos as much as I can.

I do this for all of my ponies, not just the ones with fading pink hair. I'm terrified of having any of my ponies fade in the sun.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 11:45:22 AM »
I seriously wish they'd stop using that stupid color.

Same!  It's so pretty when it's unfaded and brand new, but what's the point of a children's toy that can never see sunlight without fading?  :/  And it becomes such a gross color once it fades, like not even a nice white, but a dirty white.

I am not convinced that 'unnatural' light (light bulbs) fades it.  IMO it's not the light itself that fades it, but the UV rays in sunlight.  I guess you could look up which kinds of light bulbs emit the most / least UV rays.  (I've heard LEDs emit a very low amount.)

At any rate, natural sunlight--even indirect natural sunlight--is the number one enemy when it comes to fading pink hair.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 04:12:25 PM »
As someone trained in museum sciences and conservation, unequivocally yes, artificial light damages sensitive materials. 

It's just a matter of degree. UV may be the most dangerous but all sources of lumens are energy - the whole visible and invisible spectrum.  LED's are less damaging (but still damaging!) because they have a narrower spectrum and are more efficient, thus less energy is being applied to the lit object.  The best thing you can do for sensitive materials is to store them away from all types of light, and only light them when they're being viewed.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 04:10:41 AM »
I’ve accidentally faded a few fading pink hair ponies to white including Desert Rose and the original  g3 Star Catcher. It’s really easy. My Desert Rose was in a wood cabinet with glass shelves, a glass and wood door facing a window with thick curtains and she still faded. My SS Twilight also faded in the same cabinet. Now she lives between two doll boxes so her hair won’t fade anymore. I wish Hasbro would stop using fading pink.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal