collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Avon-exclusive “rotting pink” G3s. Collectible?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Nonnavlis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
Avon-exclusive “rotting pink” G3s. Collectible?
« on: April 28, 2018, 01:52:46 AM »
Hi pony friends!
A friend of mine came to visit me today and was telling me about a unique G3 phenomenon, “rotting pink” hair. Apparently it is exclusive to the Avon releases of two ponies, Jazz Matazz and Tea Lily. A different kind of hair was used in the Avon ponies (presumably to cut costs), and apparently just the red-pink colour in these two ponies ages to be so brittle it disentegrates when touched? I thought that was kind of crazy as I have an Avon Jazz Matazz I bought from the catalogue myself and she looks lovely, so I was shocked when I lightly touched her tail and little shards of hair came off on my hand!

I would imagine there’s nothing that can be done to reverse this (which is a shame as I do like my Jazz Matazz she’s a favourite G3 for me), which leads me to my question: are the Avon versions of these ponies considered to be collectible because of this? Or just an inferior version to the other releases? If she’s something someone would like to have for their herd I’d want to rehome her ASAP before I could accidentally break all the pink out of her hair, as she still looks new for now.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Avon-exclusive “rotting pink” G3s. Collectible?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 02:01:28 AM »
I think the people who want those two tend to be prepared to rehair them if and when it needs to happen. Personally I avoid them when I see them because the hair is a big part of a pony for me and I can rehair but don't like having to do it :/ It is a fairly common phenomenon on these two ponies though :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 03:37:51 AM »
I do love the two sets of Avon pony&baby, and wish to collect them, but I've honestly held back from purchasing them because I know they would degrade with time (if not be already partially hairless) and need restoring/customising. :huh: My eventual wish would be to have them rehaired in their original colours as SLH versions, but I don't have any rehairing skills and would either need to learn or hire somebody, so the pony becomes that much more expensive to obtain... They're on the "to do" list but far down in priority :P

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 04:36:12 AM »
The discount pony Green Apple also has this hair colour.

There were a couple of releases of Jazz Matazz and Tea Lily, the Avon release and later store releases. I *suspect* the later store releases had better hair. I suspect this because I have a few that I've picked up second hand whose hair seems to be fine. Of course, it's impossible to know for sure because I got them second hand. It's also possible the hair just hasn't started breaking yet.

Elf

Offline Nonnavlis

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 05:27:54 AM »
I was under the impression that the other releases probably had the usual pony hair, hence wondering if the Avon ones in particular were collectible just because of their tendency to degrade, but I could be wrong. I think it would be easy to tell just by comparing a given Jazz Matazz to a normal pony as the hair on the Avon ones really doesn’t look or feel like usual pony hair (it’s not even a subtle difference it’s quite apparently different from usual ponies even at a glance and even when it was brand new. It’s quite crisp and rather strawlike and dull) but I only have the one Jazz Matazz so I’m no help there.

Actually I can think of one other normal release who has similar hair texture to the Avon ponies; the “bonus” pony Tea Lily that came with one of the Dress-Up Daywear sets. It might just be mine in particular, though, (she has some fairly major factory flaws) as the other “bonus” ponies I have are totally normal texture, but her hair is sooooo crunchy.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 07:43:38 AM »
Yeah there are a few ponies with "bad, rotting" hair.  Princess Peppermint's white streaks are also TERRIBLE for breakage and disintegration.

They're just as collectible, but as stated, one knows that they have to rehair these ponies most of the time..
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »
Does Baby Wavecatcher have problems?

I have heard that sometimes Peach Surprise does.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline CherryTreats

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 09:53:01 AM »
Most of my Peach Surprise's mane suddenly fell out from brushing it a little. The others have been okay, but I'd be scared to brush their hair anymore.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 10:05:22 AM »
If a pony has multiple releases and one batch has known condition issues, ones without it will be more desirable than those that are flawed.  Collectors won't want the lesser quality ones as much, since they're damaged, having this kind of flaw does not add value.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Nonnavlis

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 12:06:35 PM »
Well I wasn’t expecting she’d be valuable just more like people might want that particular version as a novelty. But I’m glad to know I won’t be doing any major disservice to the collecting community if I accidentally cause her pink to come out. Thanks everyone! I might try to rehair her then as I do like her quite a lot ^^

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 01:15:56 PM »
My Sparkle Works's hair dropped off too :(

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 04:28:09 PM »
Does Baby Wavecatcher have problems?

Yes, my Baby Wavecatcher has lost most of her orange hair.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 04:34:12 PM »
It's such a shame. The Avon ponies are gorgeous.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 07:59:04 PM »
I remember someone posting pictures of a Sunrise whose pink hair had broken off. Although given that Sunrise was a dollar store exclusive, I'm not surprised that she had the same issue.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 08:09:26 PM »
Drat.  I guess this means my baby Wave Catcher and friend will probably stay MIBag. I didnt know this could happen.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal