collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So I'm thinking I'm done collecting anything [new] by Hasbro  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Bebopgroove

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Esoterous
So I'm thinking I'm done collecting anything [new] by Hasbro
« on: April 27, 2018, 02:25:57 PM »
As the topic title states, I think I may quit collecting anything more that has been made by Hasbro. However, I will make an exception for G1 MLP.

This stems from a lot of things. It stems from the quality of current MLP toys. It also stems heavily from their handling of the first line of Jurassic World toys that were released in 2015. For those who don't know, their handling of the line was so poor (raptors without toe-claws, glaring screw-holes in figures reminiscent of happy-meal toys, sloppy paint jobs, and some toys with rubber parts that are already rotting and tearing), and the public reception so bad, that Universal stripped Hasbro the rights to the Jurassic toy line (who had long owned the line since acquiring Kenner), and gave them to Mattel. Since then, what Mattel has released for the JW: Fallen Kingdom line has been absolutely outstanding. Figures harkoning back to the original vintage lines, stellar paint jobs, zero screwholes, beautiful sculpts on the dinosaurs, and human action figures (which Hasbro failed to produce) - all of which are [mostly] in scale to one another. Taking all of this into account, I have to wonder what has happened to Hasbro, one of the most successful toy-producing companies, and it makes me sad, even a little angry. Mattel heard the complaints of its consumers and responded to them accordingly, going above and beyond with their JW line. Meanwhile, Hasbro was (and still is) cutting corners in an (apparent?) effort to cut costs. I also have to wonder, as a long-time MLP collector, what Mattel might do with the MLP line if they were to have it instead of Hasbro.

With all this mind, I may be at a point where I no longer want to give my money to a company that doesn't care about the quality of its products - and I will give my money instead to a company that does (though, as I stated earlier, I'll always be collecting G1 MLP). This isn't about a disgust to MLP, but rather to Hasbro. And I'm disgusted.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:29:16 PM by Bebopgroove »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Wattpad | Flickr gallery (coming soon)
PSN: bebopgroove
Xbox: bebopgroove

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm thinking I'm done collecting anything [new] by Hasbro
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:49:12 PM »
I agree with the fact that toys quality is low by theses days, but saddly I thinks Mattel didn't specially do best than Hasbro (in line, see how the barbie's animal have become this ugly? The horses in particular :shocked: ).
Also, yes the quality is low on MLP these days, it's a shame and why I only take ponies from the show for the fandom only and not more. And didn't buy a lot of merch too.

In the end, it all comes to you and your decision should be the one who make you feels good about where your money goes!

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 07:07:29 PM »
I don't collect their pony toys or their transformers toys anymore, when I used to be a very active collector in both areas. I agree that the quality has gone down and their creativity has dried up too. We know how badly the pony characters are recycled - it's not as bad with transformers, but the characters they do come out with they hardly make any attempt with it. For example, Blurr was practically a solid blue piece of plastic. No paint applications. No parts or features that stood out. That's just lazy design.

I will give them this though. Hasbro did finally listen to the feedback they were getting from the LPS fans and revamped their product line accordingly. The new designs aren't my cup of tea personally, but it is what most collectors were asking for. Maybe Hasbro was just getting really tired of children submitting complaints on their 1-800 number. (Seriously. Kids were doing that.)

Offline BerylBreeze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 01:00:09 AM »
What got me upset about Hasbro's Jurassic World was that they made legit good new sculpts and a modified bull t-rex only a few years before that: http://www.jptoys.com/toy-database/jurassic-park-2009/dinosaurs/index.htm
And then when JW came, that potential (and two unreleased prototypes) got thrown out the window for what basically are McDonalds toys.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 02:13:18 AM »
I personally think this is the way of big toy companies these days. Hasbro in the UK used to have a great customer service team who you could write to and who would actually answer your messages but now they just copypaste and it's irritating.

Toy quality and design inspiration has also gone downhill with G4 - I mean, some good stuff, but a lot of bad hair, and expensive stuff that's not got through QC very well.

But Mattel? Seriously? Did you see what they did to Monster High? Aside the start of MH where dolls had (and still are found with) glue seepage in their heads that make the hair sticky and greasy and which is really hard to fix unless you're willing to spend a lot of time on it, rehair or use noxious chemicals...the reboot of MH made everything cheaper and nastier. True, no more glue head, but reductions in clothing variety, articulation, and the joints of the dolls were just horrible. Not to mention all the soul of the line basically died with the reboot as there was no more quirky monster stuff and just girly themes cloaked in monster doll guises.

I don't hate all the reboot dolls, but I'm just saying that Mattel definitely are no better than Hasbro in this regard. All big companies want money for the least amount of output. Sad reality of our modern world.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 04:04:11 AM »
All big companies want money for the least amount of output. Sad reality of our modern world.

This sums it up well. It certainly isn't limited to Hasbro. Mattel does it too.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 07:10:45 AM »
My thought is that the toys made today are seriously lacking in quality across the board.  I have been quite disappointed with a lot of what is being sold.  Even the companies that use to produce high quality are falling below standards for quality yet they expect the same amount of money for their inferior productions (American Girl is an example) it's everywhere. :pout:

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 07:55:05 AM »
This is essentially nearly every toy company. We have a few hold-outs, like Schleich, Breyer, Safari Ltd. CollectA, The Bridge Direct and the Pokemon Company off the top of my head. But yeah, it's not limited solely to Hasbro.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 02:14:13 PM »
I think it's more of a broad issue with most toy company cutting cost. 

I have to agree with you on the Jurassic World toys... There were a few cool toys but for the most part they were nothing special.  When I ran into the new toys the other day I spent an hour geeking out in the toy isle.  The new movie toy line is some of the best I've seen in a while. 

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 06:55:23 AM »
I say that is a certain absolute yes on the quality, I do visit some toy forums, and there are plenty of horror stories of newish toys, being broken MIB or even having the wrong parts, or duplicate parts. Kinda remands me of the MC Farline toy line, lovey sculpts, but they chose the worst plastic for them.

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 07:43:44 PM »
I've seen some of the new Jurassic World stuff at Walmart, and honestly until I read this just now I had no clue Mattel had the JP license now, but I did notice the quality of the new toys was significantly better than the uninteresting, poor quality crap that came out for the last movie.

I just looked up the new JP stuff on ebay and apparently they are even doing legacy figures from previous movies. That's really awesome! I've wanted to get into collecting JP for years but some of the original Vintage stuff can be a bit pricey and in my opinion most of the stuff Hasbro released from JP III onward sucked. Jurassic World was where it got really bad tho, most of the toys I saw for that looked like complete garbage.

Also, I agree that the quality of most toys in general have really gone down. Toys from when I was a kid were made with quality, which is why I still have many of them. A lot of modern toys now feel like they are going to break right out of the package. This is partly why (aside from nostalgia) I have been looking to start collecting some of the original toy lines I had as a kid. I am heavily interested in the Star Wars Power of the Force line from the 90's right now. They may not be the most realistic looking toy iterations of these characters, but they still bring me the same joy they brought to me as a kid and I don't feel like they are going to crumble into dust just by me looking at them.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:52:43 PM by Neon Sparkle »

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 09:36:48 PM »
I heard tales of those Jurassic park toys, but I figured they were just internet stories. I’m not going to stop buying pony stuff from hasbro, but I do hope that the experience with universal and the feedback was enough of a wake up call.
    As for the quality of toys going down, I agree. As companies look for ways to save money, quality goes down. Be it shaving a few bucks of the animation budget and producing lower quality entertainment, paying just enough for a lousy paint job and sub-par materials, companies are doing this a lot more than they should. We all love to save money, but when it comes to cutting a few bucks at the loss of quality, that’s where we should draw the line.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 05:47:34 AM »
My thought is that the toys made today are seriously lacking in quality across the board.  I have been quite disappointed with a lot of what is being sold.  Even the companies that use to produce high quality are falling below standards for quality yet they expect the same amount of money for their inferior productions (American Girl is an example) it's everywhere. :pout:

Agreed.

While I slowly lost interest in collecting in general as I have gotten older, the lack of quality toys certainly pushed me along that path as well.  I have zero interest in any of the MLP toys anymore.  They don't look right (to me) and quality is poor.  Monster High dolls have faded away big time.  They were so interesting and fun, before the reboot...  Now with many dolls lacking articulation and boring themes, it seems no one wants them now.  They used to have a large spot in the toy isle here, now it's a fraction of that size.

Someone also mentioned the Barbie pets and horses.  Your right!  They are ugly now.  Oddly proportioned and many pets rely on some gimmick (like walking or giving birth) rather than making sure the animal looks right.  And for the Barbie dolls themselves (my youngest step-daughter has several) the clothes are often partially molded onto the doll.  Or, made out of plastic.  It's sad.

I still like to look at toys, but nothing much tempts me to buy anymore.  There is almost nothing special, creative, or of good quality.  It's a shame that the toys I grew up with are better than toys they make today.  With all the technology, I think that these companies have gotten lazy and forgotten how to make toys that are fun to PLAY with and be able to use one's imagination too. 

Just my two cents.  :P

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 07:05:11 AM »
I agree. my retail purchases of displayable plastic has dramatically reduced in the last 4 years because NOTHING seems worth its price tag :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 05:44:14 AM »
I haven't bought any new Hasbroken toys since G3's, even then I kept myself limited to just birth month ones and about 5 others that struck my fancy.
I'll buy anniversary releases, but even then, will keep myself limited to just the ones that are my favorite.
I love Rainbow Brite, but won't go for the new stuff, Smurfs either.
However, those Shirt Tales plushes at the Hallmark store are kinda cute.
I'm limited on space so that stops a lot of my collecting, but I guess I'm getting too old for some toys...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal