collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So I'm thinking I'm done collecting anything [new] by Hasbro  (Read 3134 times)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm thinking I'm done collecting anything [new] by Hasbro
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 07:10:58 AM »
I will say another thing that is pushing me away from new pony toys is distribution. My local wall mart never had ANY of the baby sea pony toys.  As of right now once gain my work place has another batch of the wave 2 pearly ponies.  I had no TRU within hours of me, and the next nearest is Target but I am not going to go out of my way for them.  Even when my work place got the main six as sea ponies, we only ever had apple jack and pinkie pie.  That is just bumming me out, and I would rather at this point go second hand, or buy them from people here. On top of that some of my early gen 4 ponies already have head body mismatches.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 07:08:59 AM »
I totally agree. Just look at what Hasbro did to the Disney Princess doll line. OMG, what was Disney thinking. Bizarly enough, the Descendants dolls are much better in design and quality, and yet they can't seem to apply that same level to their own EG dolls. As a side note, I wonder how well the EG reboot dolls are doing.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »
This is essentially nearly every toy company. We have a few hold-outs, like Schleich, Breyer, Safari Ltd. CollectA, The Bridge Direct and the Pokemon Company off the top of my head. But yeah, it's not limited solely to Hasbro.

Schleich have their issues elsewhere. Since they got their new CEO a while ago their sculpts and paintwork started to lack severely. We can be lucky if a figure is two-tone nowadays.
Their new horses for 2018 look monstrous compared to CollectA, a company that invested in some great artists to help their figures look great and realistic.
Schleich's horses look like misshapen aliens now. And I can say that, I was exposed to Schleich since birth :lol:
They value cheapness over educational purposes. But hey, at least the plastic gets tested for safety.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 05:30:18 PM »
This is essentially nearly every toy company. We have a few hold-outs, like Schleich, Breyer, Safari Ltd. CollectA, The Bridge Direct and the Pokemon Company off the top of my head. But yeah, it's not limited solely to Hasbro.

Schleich have their issues elsewhere. Since they got their new CEO a while ago their sculpts and paintwork started to lack severely. We can be lucky if a figure is two-tone nowadays.
Their new horses for 2018 look monstrous compared to CollectA, a company that invested in some great artists to help their figures look great and realistic.
Schleich's horses look like misshapen aliens now. And I can say that, I was exposed to Schleich since birth :lol:
They value cheapness over educational purposes. But hey, at least the plastic gets tested for safety.

I do seem to notice they go up and down on the sculpts and paint jobs. :wonder: Most of my schleich are pretty good looking. I wish they'd ditch the braid trend on the horses. The mermaid sets look fantastic!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 06:07:14 PM »
I’m becoming really upset with quality control, myself. I feel like I’ve watched it deteriorate massively, just in the last several years. :/ That goes for Hasbro, Mattel, and a lot of others...

That’s disturbing news about Schleich. I haven’t kept many tabs on them since the Bayala stuff started disappearing from my stores...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:09:52 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 08:10:37 AM »
I only keep track on Schleich horses and dinosaurs because I think their other figures are still good looking, even compared to the rival companies.
But the issue is the horses and dinos belong to their top sellers and yet they started skimping out on them a lot.

I am trying not to derail this too much but let's just say... I have always lived close to their headquarters, stores were full of them and it was sometimes impossible to get the rival figures because Schleich would dominate the market here.
That was ok because they made good quality toys and prided themselves with "educational value" and would even put in their booklets that they valued education over sales (a way to endear the company to parents).
Now this has become an empty promise. Their dinosaurs look ridiculous safe for one or two outliers (but they willingly make them inaccurate colors because kids go more for popping colors) and they upset educators with the shere monstrosity of some of the animals.
You could put some of the natural horses and most of the dinos into the fantasy lines because they are fantastic beasts.

As for quality, the paint schemes are lackluster, one tone, sometimes the horses don't even get accurate coat colors. Just stuff that sells like pure white foals and adult animals with giant almond eyes that remind me of Grey aliens.
And yet their stuff is everywhere here and my new favorite company, Collecta, is basically online only because Schleich still dominates.
Sometimes you spot a Safari and Papo dinosaurs in the museums. But Germany is basically Schleich + Bullyland paradise. If I see one more lime green JP monster raptor I am going to cry  :lol:

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »
That’s really interesting to know, thanks for explaining! So does that go for the unicorns and other fantasy equine, or just the realistic horses?

As for the dinos... that’s definitely sad to hear. :( Since you mentioned “JP raptors”, I’m assuming they’re leaving all the feathers and avian features off of their raptors now? Wow...
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 05:53:38 AM »
I only keep track on Schleich horses and dinosaurs because I think their other figures are still good looking, even compared to the rival companies.
But the issue is the horses and dinos belong to their top sellers and yet they started skimping out on them a lot.

I am trying not to derail this too much but let's just say... I have always lived close to their headquarters, stores were full of them and it was sometimes impossible to get the rival figures because Schleich would dominate the market here.
That was ok because they made good quality toys and prided themselves with "educational value" and would even put in their booklets that they valued education over sales (a way to endear the company to parents).
Now this has become an empty promise. Their dinosaurs look ridiculous safe for one or two outliers (but they willingly make them inaccurate colors because kids go more for popping colors) and they upset educators with the shere monstrosity of some of the animals.
You could put some of the natural horses and most of the dinos into the fantasy lines because they are fantastic beasts.

As for quality, the paint schemes are lackluster, one tone, sometimes the horses don't even get accurate coat colors. Just stuff that sells like pure white foals and adult animals with giant almond eyes that remind me of Grey aliens.
And yet their stuff is everywhere here and my new favorite company, Collecta, is basically online only because Schleich still dominates.
Sometimes you spot a Safari and Papo dinosaurs in the museums. But Germany is basically Schleich + Bullyland paradise. If I see one more lime green JP monster raptor I am going to cry  :lol:

A lot of there wildlife and farmlife animals are still excellent. We barely get Schleich, Safari or Papo where I'm at. CollectA is good looking, but sometimes they have some very...strange colors.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 03:04:33 AM »
I don't know what you mean by strange but one of my fave CollectA horses is the perlino Akhal-Teke. Schleich never entertained such a breed or color scheme.

Odd colors are ok with dinosaurs if pigments haven't been detected. But even then there are still colors that seem impossible. Like a velociraptor being neon colors. Quite recently Schleich completely disregarded that a certain species was found out to be brown years ago. It also has no educational value to mimic JP, and badly.

https://www.schleich-s.com/de/DE/dinosaurs/produkte/velociraptor-14585.html

https://store.safariltd.com/products/feathered-velociraptor

https://www.everythingdinosaur.com/product/papo-feathered-velociraptor-model/

Would you believe this is supposed to be the same animal? Schleich's is a movie creature while Safari and Papo's is an animal.

Schleich also got more expensive despite the sculpt and paint decline.
What I do love from them are the fantasy girly lines like their mermaids or Bayala. Their mermaids and fairies actually have healthy anatomy. Wish their new horses had that.
Schleich bought a Mojö mold for a pony and their version ended up looking worse with the same mold. I think I need to make my own thread with comparisons. This has bugging me for a long time. I guess I have added frustration because when I wad a kid Schleich horses were actually worth something to collectors. Now the new ones have lost a lot of collectability and are mostly being used as baits. A Schleich horse often needs it's pose and legs fixed before repainting.

Back to Hasbro.
I'm not into the new JP at all but I noticed some of Hasbro's offerings looked so shoddy. Maybe some of you know what 'real feel' skin is? It's a sort of rubber that used to be on many old JP toys and still holds up. I have an old Lost World stegosaurus and Hasbro still uses the mold. But the new ones look like knock-offs.

I don't know what I would say if Hasbro bought out Mattel. And I'm not big on Mattel anymore but at the very least their sculpts have always appealed more to me.
Imagening MLP by Mattel. That silky hair quality! :P Their new Fashionistas have great quality hair. They finally perfected curls and so many new dolls have afros. Would be great to get a pony like that.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 06:28:19 AM »
I don't know what you mean by strange but one of my fave CollectA horses is the perlino Akhal-Teke. Schleich never entertained such a breed or color scheme.

Odd colors are ok with dinosaurs if pigments haven't been detected. But even then there are still colors that seem impossible. Like a velociraptor being neon colors. Quite recently Schleich completely disregarded that a certain species was found out to be brown years ago. It also has no educational value to mimic JP, and badly.

https://www.schleich-s.com/de/DE/dinosaurs/produkte/velociraptor-14585.html

https://store.safariltd.com/products/feathered-velociraptor

https://www.everythingdinosaur.com/product/papo-feathered-velociraptor-model/

Would you believe this is supposed to be the same animal? Schleich's is a movie creature while Safari and Papo's is an animal.

Schleich also got more expensive despite the sculpt and paint decline.
What I do love from them are the fantasy girly lines like their mermaids or Bayala. Their mermaids and fairies actually have healthy anatomy. Wish their new horses had that.
Schleich bought a Mojö mold for a pony and their version ended up looking worse with the same mold. I think I need to make my own thread with comparisons. This has bugging me for a long time. I guess I have added frustration because when I wad a kid Schleich horses were actually worth something to collectors. Now the new ones have lost a lot of collectability and are mostly being used as baits. A Schleich horse often needs it's pose and legs fixed before repainting.

Back to Hasbro.
I'm not into the new JP at all but I noticed some of Hasbro's offerings looked so shoddy. Maybe some of you know what 'real feel' skin is? It's a sort of rubber that used to be on many old JP toys and still holds up. I have an old Lost World stegosaurus and Hasbro still uses the mold. But the new ones look like knock-offs.

I don't know what I would say if Hasbro bought out Mattel. And I'm not big on Mattel anymore but at the very least their sculpts have always appealed more to me.
Imagening MLP by Mattel. That silky hair quality! :P Their new Fashionistas have great quality hair. They finally perfected curls and so many new dolls have afros. Would be great to get a pony like that.

It's kind of hard to describe, but there's this offness to their shetlands.

I only just started CollectA. Wonderful toys. Hope to have more someday.

Schleich does have Akhal-Tekes. The buckskin stallion looks plain and kinda strange
 indoors, but outside there is a faint bloom to his coat. I had the foal, but gave her away. I was never able to find the  mare.

In all fairness, I imagine Perlino is a very difficult color to do. I don't think even Breyer and Peter Stone tackles it all that often.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:31:34 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 08:01:11 AM »
My last reply on that subject, I swear.
LAW, you are right. I googled and Schleich did have an Akhal family. I just never clocked them because the Schleich horses can look so samey. At least they tried doing the bodies differently.
Some of their Shetlands look like MLP, so chubby complete with flank symbols :lol:

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 09:14:32 AM »
I wonder how well the EG reboot dolls are doing.

I don't know about other areas, but I literally have never seen a single one of these in a store. I only know they exist from reading about them online. I haven't seen much of anything EQG related in a long time. About 2 years ago there was a huge glut of Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games dolls appearing in discount stores, and that's about the last I've seen besides those little Mini figures that were around for a little bit.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 11:08:29 AM »
My last reply on that subject, I swear.
LAW, you are right. I googled and Schleich did have an Akhal family. I just never clocked them because the Schleich horses can look so samey. At least they tried doing the bodies differently.
Some of their Shetlands look like MLP, so chubby complete with flank symbols :lol:

Yeah, have that one. She's cute.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 11:37:49 AM »
I wonder how well the EG reboot dolls are doing.

I don't know about other areas, but I literally have never seen a single one of these in a store. I only know they exist from reading about them online. I haven't seen much of anything EQG related in a long time. About 2 years ago there was a huge glut of Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games dolls appearing in discount stores, and that's about the last I've seen besides those little Mini figures that were around for a little bit.

They have only been at TRU so far. There are listings in the system for Target but they probably won't show up until they reset again.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 11:59:10 AM »
I literally didn't even know what the packaging looked like for the new EQG dolls until just having seen one on ebay. I hope they start to appear more. The pony sections in general have been pretty sparse at most places around here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal