collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Getting inside a Sweet Talkin Pony?  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
Getting inside a Sweet Talkin Pony?
« on: April 26, 2018, 01:07:33 PM »

Hi, I have a question about Sweet Talkin' ponies. How difficult would it be to get inside one to change the batteries, get to the speaker, circuit board or whatever it uses, hair, etc. for restoration or customization purposes?

:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nonnavlis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
Re: Getting inside a Sweet Talkin Pony?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 01:29:48 PM »
I've had one open before to change the batteries, which wasn't very difficult since they are intended for that. However the electronics were frail and broken inside and repairing that was... strenuous XD. My father was doing it because he understands electronics better than I do (he used to build computers) and he had a horrible time at it. It's a very small space to work in, I think was the problem, and also because of the age the metal is frail to work with or attach to. We never got as far as taking the electronics out of the pony, though. I think that would be quite a task with how integrated they are and the fact that they shouldn't get wet!

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »
Ya the batteries are super easy to change. I got lucky and mine had no corrosion or damage whatsoever and worked perfectly with new batteries. I've never attempted to do a rehair on one though. The head has a hard plastic piece in it that has notches to lock her head in place, and it looks glued in pretty tight. WOuld probably be tough tedious work getting it unglued and out without breaking it, but possible. The body is something that I couldn't even begin to imagine getting out though

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 05:23:23 PM »
Sounds complicated. Is breaking open the pony the only way to get to the circuit board and take it out?

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 01:15:14 AM »
My dad (who is an electrician) repaired one of my talking ponies, I think he had to replace the speaker. Also the circuit board was all mildewed and had to be wiped off, I think the pony had been in water at some point.

From what I remember, it wasn't too difficult to get into the pony. The battery compartment just unscrews, then I think you have to lever out the plastic underneath. You can also remove the speaker grille in the pony's tummy.

The back-up plan for if she couldn't be repaired was to buy a teddy voicebox (you can get them on eBay) and record another pony's voice onto it/give her a completely different phrase. In the end we didn't have to do this, but I think it would be a fun project and I'm keeping it in reserve for if ever I get another broken talking pony.

Not sure if that was any help. Basically it helps to have an electrician in your life!

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
My boyfriend is building a full size remote control R2-D2, I think he could help. For what I have in mind I'd need a new voice box I guess, if the board it comes with can't easily be reprogrammed.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 03:19:49 PM »
There are instructions here :)

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/misc.html#SweetTalkin

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 11:07:12 PM »

Love pkw xxx
I wish this link actually helped. It was the first place I went when I received my first sweet talking pony. Thank goodness mine was in perfect condition. All this page does is show you the mechanism already removed from the body and doesn’t show or explain how they went about removing it.
My favorite part of this is where it basically says “if new batteries don’t work, then idk what’s wrong but maybe you can find someone to fix it???”
But ya, I wish I had a bait sweet talking pony. I’d love the chance to open one up and repair her.

Offline therestornadosinmysoup

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 07:35:44 AM »
Looking at my baity one, I'd say you'd have to use pliers and a lot of arm strength to pull to pull that part out. I didn't realize a repair could be possible at all, Lol. To rehair one, I think you'd have to break that hard plastic piece blocking the opening? As far as the batteries go, if you've got the original ones that came out, you can match them for size at dollarama. Wouldn't hurt to check other dollar stores too, if one location doesn't carry that size.

^.^

Post Merge: April 28, 2018, 07:44:02 AM

Let me look and check. I think there are numbers for size on those batteries.. I took mine out of my working ponies. I'll see if I can put may hands on them  :P
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:44:02 AM by therestornadosinmysoup »

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 08:30:38 AM »
I just wanna buy a baity one and turn it into Mr. Ed.

Offline therestornadosinmysoup

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 09:03:25 AM »
I did manage to put my hands on those batteries. They take 3, size L1154's.  :satisfied:

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »
I have Chatterbox who came in a large lot and to my delight I found that she just needed new batteries. The instructions are easy to get if you just google, but pkw has already given you them  :)

Changing the batteries is also easy: you just need a small star screwdriver as the compartment is screwed on and her head clips onto that compartment lid. Let us know how it goes.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »

Love pkw xxx
I wish this link actually helped. It was the first place I went when I received my first sweet talking pony. Thank goodness mine was in perfect condition. All this page does is show you the mechanism already removed from the body and doesn’t show or explain how they went about removing it.
My favorite part of this is where it basically says “if new batteries don’t work, then idk what’s wrong but maybe you can find someone to fix it???”
But ya, I wish I had a bait sweet talking pony. I’d love the chance to open one up and repair her.

The speaker is under the belly and if you pop the head off, from what I remember, that's where the batteries are :)

I used a small screwdriver to undo the screws to get the batteries out.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal