collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Had an item returned but the buyer still wants it.  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
Had an item returned but the buyer still wants it.
« on: April 26, 2018, 08:33:39 AM »
I sold a book on ebay and had a message from the buyer two days ago to say it hadn't arrived. This was from the UK to Hungary. It didn't have tracking and wasn't a big value so I just refunded it.
However, it arrived back today with a label saying Non réclamé / Nem kereste - not demanded / Did not seek?
As the refund is already in progress I was hoping the buyer would give up and accept the refund but he still wants the book.

I looked up about a refund of postage but it doesn't seem to mention items that have been returned so I guess I won't get my money back. I've sent an enquiry to Royal Mail.

So what do I do? Should I maybe relist the item as an auction just for the buyer? Should I insist on tracked delivery at £9.60 instead of the £5.95 they paid? Am I allowed to refuse to resend it?

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Had an item returned but the buyer still wants it.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:23:36 AM »
He obviously didn't pick it up at the post so it got returned. I would not send it to him again on your own dime!

I would call ebay, I think you can get your shipping back if it was returned-

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 11:01:51 AM »
I think with the refund in progress the transaction would be considered cancelled. At the very least if he does still want it after the refund has gone through, then you need to set up a new transaction and start over (I think with a BIN). But if you have refunded him then you don't have any obligation to send him the item. You are out of pocket on the shipping (but do ask Royal Mail about that in case there's something they can do about it). If you want to contact ebay then you don't have to phone them but finding the live chat is a pain on ebay uk. You have to go through the option about closing an account before it comes up and then you should have the live chat option and 9/10 they have resolved things for me when they've got messy like this.

He either rejected receiving it (maybe if it had a custom charge on it, if so there would be something on the label?) or didn't pick it up. The only thing I would check is whether the address he is using is up to date on ebay and whether that is the reason behind this. Sometimes that happens, when people move and don't realise that the world doesn't automatically know that :P

But it could as easily be the fault of one or other postal system.

In any case, this transaction is over once the refund is through. To sell to this person again would require a new listing in my opinion, and I would iron out those detail things and ship tracked the next time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 07:38:08 PM »
He either rejected receiving it (maybe if it had a custom charge on it, if so there would be something on the label?) or didn't pick it up. The only thing I would check is whether the address he is using is up to date on ebay and whether that is the reason behind this. Sometimes that happens, when people move and don't realise that the world doesn't automatically know that :P

But it could as easily be the fault of one or other postal system.

In any case, this transaction is over once the refund is through. To sell to this person again would require a new listing in my opinion, and I would iron out those detail things and ship tracked the next time.

I agree.

I would ask the buyer what happened on their end. If they say they refused it for some reason and later had a change of heart, then I definitely wouldn't let them bid again. But if there was a post office error, then I'd treat that differently. If there seems to be a valid reason the item wasn't claimed, then I would relist it and change the shipping rate to cover the cost of tracking.

But that is if you CHOOSE to try again with this buyer. As others have said, you're not obligated to resend. You already refunded and so the transaction is done.

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 02:32:10 PM »
I've messaged him to ask if he'd like it sent recorded... I'm waiting to hear back.

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 03:06:58 AM »
Agree with the others.

This happened to me several years ago on here but in my case the buyer never got any notification to pick up their package. They didn't want to have to pay shipping again (they were common ponies) so we agreed on refund of item price and half the shipping that way neither of us were out the full shipping amount as neither of us were at fault.

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 08:39:54 AM »
He still wants it and said tracking doesn't seem to have been the problem - The address was correct and he said usually there's a notification card from the postman to tell him to go collect it. I've said I can set up a new auction and write on the package to keep trying to deliver or leave it in a safe place - in Hungarian obviously.

I'll set up another auction.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 11:34:54 AM »
Agree with the others.

This happened to me several years ago on here but in my case the buyer never got any notification to pick up their package. They didn't want to have to pay shipping again (they were common ponies) so we agreed on refund of item price and half the shipping that way neither of us were out the full shipping amount as neither of us were at fault.

There is a ponyperson on here in the UK who has this problem whenever I send her something. I am unsure if it'[s now been worked out, but twice they didn't bother to give her a pick up card. I always send to her with tracking so that she can go yell at her depot to get her pony stuff if needed.

If you send with tracking then it should be possible to alert the buyer or for the buyer to see it's at the depot even if he doesn't get a card, so I would still insist on tracking for that purpose.

My postman has interesting places he leaves things. Although mostly he leaves stuff with the neighbours, who fortunately are good people on both sides and happy to take in stuff for us.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 03:35:54 AM »
I don't know if other countries do this, but if you buy tracking in Australia, you can sign up for notifications to your email or phone. So usually I'll have them sent to my own phone, and send them the tracking info and when I get the notification I let the buyer know it's there, and remind them gently to let me know if there's any issues with their stuff.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 07:23:26 PM »
He still wants it and said tracking doesn't seem to have been the problem - The address was correct and he said usually there's a notification card from the postman to tell him to go collect it. I've said I can set up a new auction and write on the package to keep trying to deliver or leave it in a safe place - in Hungarian obviously.

I'll set up another auction.

Oh geez... That reminds of a purchase I made back in 2011. The postman didn't leave a notification card, so I was waiting for the best part of a month past the expected delivery date before finally going down to the post office to inquire and at long last picked it up. I suppose I should count myself lucky that they held onto the item instead of sending it back.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 08:02:44 AM »
Some posties don't bother to leave a card to let you know they tried to deliver :(  One time I bought a couple of ponies from another member here that never arrived. Eventually a couple of months later they arrived back with the seller - and on the package it had 3 dates where it stated that the post person had tried to deliver to me! I never had one card let alone 3! I had no notifications and on checking the dates there was always someone home.  I had the ponies posted back to me and they arrived safely the second time- I think I sent  extra for tracking TBH as I didn't want to risk it happening again.
We don't usually get issues and we have a lot of deliveries,  but it does happen sometimes.  Sounds like your buyer had a similar issue  :awake:
 I think if I were you I'd send it with tracking next time, just to be on the safe side  ;)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal