collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your G1 Main Cast  (Read 998 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Your G1 Main Cast
« on: April 24, 2018, 11:11:55 AM »
As I go ever deeper into the G1 media rabbit hole I love seeing which ponies are selected to be the main characters of the comics, TV shows, etc. It's neat to see what characterization they get beyond their backcard stories, and it drives me to want to create some sort of comic or fanfiction story for them since I grow weary of the six characters of G4.
What is interesting is that the ponies chosen sometimes are seen in most forms of media, but some just get their minute of fame and then are forgotten in favor of other ponies.
If you were to choose a set of main ponies for a G1 television show, book series, or comic series, which would you choose? Maybe you could give a sentence to describe each pony, or even what sort of friendship dynamic they would have?
I have two ideas that I've been tossing in my school notebook during Marketing lectures...so here's my two seperate casts:
Year 1 Golden Girls:
Spoiler
The original six ponies! Butterscotch tends to be the star of most of my sketches, so she's the most fleshed out. She's athletic and upbeat, and she loves all different kinds of sports! She and Bluebelle get along the best, as Bluebelle shares her upbeat personality, although she'd rather do something far less active. Blossom is shy and gets roped into playing games with them, and she's alright with taking far left field or being the backup. She's calm and reasonable until she sees her flowers get messed up! Cotton Candy is the one who usually angers Blossom, but it's not always intentional! She's a bit lazy and will just keep score for everyone's games or sit at home knitting. She and Snuzzle stick together a lot because they both enjoy more quiet activities. Snuzzle is a very loving pony who isn't afraid to cuddle up next to her friends if she's cold. She's very open and a great listener, even if her advice is unconventional. Minty is the oddball of the group: she's very smart and great at teaching, but her speech is so riddled with metaphors that just make no sense that no one ever bothers to ask her! She is sometimes gone for days at a time and found sleeping in the middle of a magical forest. Sometimes, there's just no explaining Minty.
UK Storybook Ponies:
Spoiler
The six ponies featured in the UK songs and stories tape. I love their songs! I haven't developed this one anywhere near as much as the others. Cherries Jubilee is a party pony who is a bit forgetful at (most) times, and she and Posey stick together the best because Posey's patience makes a very kind friend for Cherries. Bow Tie being a sort of southern belle is a cute idea, too. I don't have anything planned for Applejack, Lickety Split, or Tootsie yet!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Your G1 Main Cast
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 11:28:35 AM »
Ponies on tv? So far I have:
Steamer
Sundance
Trucker
Whizzer
Skydancer
Paradise
Masquerade
Baby Bouncy
Fizzy
Sparkler
Galaxy
Dazzleglow
Ribbon
Baby Moondancer
Twilight (Unicorn)
Gusty
Glory
Sealight
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 11:39:19 AM »
Because the comic generally cheated and worked its way through all generations of ponies, I find it hard to narrow down. But I did think of the song tape ;) so I guess that works. They were quite a big deal here I think since Hasbro could actually advertise ponies they were selling for once :P not ones they weren't (mutter).

In terms of recurring characters in the comics, though, there were some that came back again and again. Majesty was obviously one, and Baby Lucky. Fizzy every November, Powder and Snowflake around Christmas. Ice Crystal popped up occasionally later in the comic range. Tootsie (again, that six) also appeared from time to time.

Really strong characters from different time periods in the comic stories for me were...

the Princess Ponies (comic characters, not the cartoon versions)
Of the big brothers - Trucker (riding around ponyland), Wigwam (telling stories round a campfire), Tug (sailing around the place)...Chief (slitherwigs and ladders!)

(Nurse) Gusty, Cotton Candy, Lollipop and subsequently Caramel Crunch who were adopted as baby pony guardians. Caramel Crunch didn't do first aid but Cotton Candy definitely did, and so did Gusty. I can't remember about Lollipop (Sweet Tooth in the US).

Good Weather popped in and out as well, bringing her good weather with her.

I also remember Sportstime's catchphrase (any sport's a good sport!) so he must have appeared as well...

I'm not overly fond of the current 'mane 6' type format, I think a rolling storyline with changeable characters is nicer. Though as an adult I do wonder why all these sets suddenly came to live in ponyland. Was there a massive war or famine somewhere outside of ponyland that meant they had to migrate?

For me the most memorable ponies in general will always be what I call the originals (ie the earth, pegasus and unicorns from 1982-1987) though less the original 6 as they were strangely promoted here. More the y2 ponies through to the movie ponies and including the unicorns and pegasus ponies we never had. Also the y2 and 3 Rainbow Ponies, and the Twinkle Eyes.

Fizzy is probably the most iconic Twinkle Eye in the UK comic though. Rather like the animation :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »
I'd choose ponies with minor gimmicks (i.e. sundae best, rainbow ponies) or no gimmicks.
Based partially on my childhood, these would be the main characters:
Cherry Treats (and brother Chief)
Beachball (and her brother Salty)
Peppermint Crunch
Firefly
Powder
Parasol

Cherry Treats would meet Beachball and Salty at a water fun party hosted by Chief.  The four get together to make a party company, and the other characters are friends who may or may not assist with parties. Peppermint Crunch and Cherry Treats are in charge of food, Firefly can round up clouds or move them away so the party has the perfect weather, even controlled lightning, Powder can make it snow and can freeze water for easier transportation but she mainly helps with management and PR, and, last but not least, Parasol is the friend who sometimes tags along for entertainment but ends up making more suggestions than anyone asks for. At some point they go from a party business to buying a small local water park, which they realize means they can spend less time enjoying each other's company, whether they work side by side or not.

A lot of drama can happen when friends work together. In the end they always find a way to make it work.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »
Wind Whistler is an obvious choice.  So are Fizzy, Gusty, and Shady.  Maybe have them be the center focus with a larger b-cast.  Majesty would need to play a major role, obviously.  The princess ponies would also have a significant role both together and as individuals.  Magic Star, Truly, Heart Throb, Paradise, Galaxy.  That sounds like a good core to start an ensemble with.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »
Here's a good, diverse cast.  Two unis, two pegs and two earth ponies.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 04:17:43 PM »
Here's a good, diverse cast.  Two unis, two pegs and two earth ponies.
Mine has the same dynamic. Funny, I almost used Moonstone, Magic Hat,  and Applejack. Probably would have used Paradise, too, but I'd have a cast of entirely wite ponies if I could.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 02:21:29 PM »
My main cast would always be Surprise, Spike, Danny and Weston XD

But if I went with some of my childhood ponies that some I kind of have 'hoards' going might be:

Dainty Dahlia
Coco Berry
Steamer
Princess Dawn
Honeysuckle
Baby Beachball
Sweet Sundrop
Bunny Hop
Starswirl
Diamond Dreams
Flurry
High Flyer
Skyflier

and probably since recently would be flutter ponies Wind Drifter and Tropical Breeze.

Also since I pair them together Sherbet and MM Windy/Magical Breeze.

But I could go on forever x.X

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 09:52:52 PM »
My cast would be a mix of my favorite sets: Twinkle Eyes, Mountain Boys, Magic Message Ponies, Sweetberry Ponies, and Candy Cane Ponies

Offline MorningGlorysParadise82

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 06:21:06 AM »
Oh wow, this is a good question!
I think this is why the So Soft Ponies were my favorites as a kid; so many of them were featured as main characters. Shady, Magic Star, Wind Whistler, and then as they made new "breeds" as I called them as a kid, they had special episodes for the Big Brothers, Princess, Candy Cane, etc.
So Softs and Twinkle Eyes were the two biggest "stars" with occasional Flutters visiting.
Majesty, Surprise, Applejack, Wind Whistler are the only ones that come to my mind for a new G1 based series
Live as though the world is as it should be, to show what it can be.
Want List/My Ponydex/Ref.sheet

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal