collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Very Serious Question  (Read 1193 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Re: Very Serious Question
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »
Thank you everyone for the information. I don't really have the names of who started the rumor (I posted this sort of late at night for me and everything is a bit of a blur at night), but it was no one on the arena, I remember that. It was most likely some trolls or maybe a misinformed person...Anyway I think we can lay this to rest now as (hopefully) false.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 06:17:58 PM »
The only thing I've ever heard of that even remotely comes close to this is waaaay back in the day a particularly active old school scammer(Roy - *shudder*) would scam people, and then "customize" some of his stolen property.   Pictures of some of his so-called "work" were posted by another collector who was a friend of his and thought it was funny.  It was pretty awful.  As in something you'd look at and think "that person is disturbed" kind of awful. 

He did get away with some rare ponies.   Some very rare ponies in a few cases, but I don't know if any of those were destroyed.  Most of the time you couldn't tell what the original pony was by the time he was done with it.  It's entirely possible that he kept the good stuff and only "customized" the cheap stuff he stole.  There were only a few "customs" in those pictures - not nearly enough to account for all he'd stolen.  He'd been on the scammer lists for years, but he kept changing his name and it was hard to keep up with it all.  I'm not sure how many ponies he stole before he finally gave up, but he was one of the big time scammers back in the day.  He was on the "Ponyland Police" most wanted list for years.  I consider it a personal duty to remind the pony community about the old school scammers whenever possible.  They have been known to drop off the face of the earth for years, and then suddenly return with a whole new persona.  Brooke(another massive scammer) popped up a again a few years ago.  Since most of the old-timers like myself have left the community, a lot of this history is getting lost.

It was a *huge* scandal when it all came out, especially for the collector who was friends with him and thought it was just so funny.  I think the photos came out around 2002, and it was a BIG THING for quite a while.  It was a big enough scandal to have possibly survived this long and mutated into some kind of pony urban legend - maybe?  I know things like this do hang around, and things can be changed in the retelling.  A few of my more interesting stories of things that happened to me a long time ago have been retold to me from random people I've never even heard of before.  Fortunately, both Roy and his friend haven't been seen in the pony community for *at least* 10 years.   I've never heard of anyone destroying their own property for spite though. If anyone has done that, they've got some serious issues:/   

If anyone wants Roy's old Ponyland Police report, feel free to PM me.  It's filled with real names and email addresses, so I don't want to post it here.  But I did manage to find it on the wayback machine.  Most of the site is archived, so you can scrounge around and look into some of the other old school scammers as well.  It's all seriously out of date, but it's still information that shouldn't be forgotten.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:34:03 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »
That's exactly the story I heard Taffeta. So I was assuming that may be what the OP was talking about.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 10:35:19 PM »
I’ve definitely seen posts where people accidentally customized/“repaired” rare ponies, but never seen one purposefully damaged.

... although now that I say that, I do remember several situations where folks threatened to customize non-bait uncommon ponies as a sort of vindictive retaliation when people asked them to bait conscientiously. :/ So I think it’s happened, but aside from immature threats, I haven’t seen it happen... yet. (Thankfully!)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 07:56:09 AM »
goddessofpeep : thank you for giving your memory on a very different time in online pony collecting :)  I am sure I have logs and files if I looked in my data, but yeah those were interesting times.... I like to think many of us have grown up  a bit since then.  BUT Still scary people like the Big Time Scammers are still around waiting .... we added another ID to Lexi's anthology only a year or so ago... :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal