collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Least Favorite Gimmick  (Read 7678 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Least Favorite Gimmick
« on: April 22, 2018, 01:10:49 AM »
G1 was home to a lot of gimmicks. Some of them ended up being personal favorites of mine (twinkle eyed ponies, flutter ponies, big brother ponies), and others, well, let's just say I don't care for them much.

My personal least favorites would have to be the Sea Ponies, Baby Sea Ponies, Drink n' Wet ponies, and any other pony associated or that revolved around water. I love water, but as some of you might know I am absolutely terrified of rust and mold. I know, I know, it seems like a petty reason, but because of that I'm not sure if I will ever be able to own any of these ponies.

I also don't like So Soft ponies but for a different reason. I like their gimmick, it's cute, but I wish they also sold separate, de-flocked versions of each pony (in America). Ponies I love such as Wind Whistler, North Star, and Paradise are so hard to find in good condition because just the slightest rub of the flocking could make them look bad. I prefer de-flocked over flocked ponies. Oh well.  :P

Well, what's your least favorite gimmick(s) and why? There are no wrong answers here!  :lol:
(If this idea has already been done recently, please let me know and I will refer to the other topic.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
Re: Least Favorite Gimmick
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 01:31:03 AM »
I personally can't stand the mechanised ponies, like the BBE, Dance 'n Prance, and Happy Tail ponies.  The only exception I have would be the Brush 'n Grows, they're pretty and their mechanisations are discreet.  Also not a fan of the 3D symbol ponies, like the Precious Pockets and the Sundae Best.  They're just so silly.  But I will admit that the sundae best ponies have grown on me a bit over the years.

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 01:46:09 AM »
I liked the majority of their gimmicks. BBE and flutters are my two favorite sets. So sorta aren’t my favorites by any stretch, but I still enjoy them. It feels extra satisfying when you come across one is great condition. I guess the only ones I can’t really stand are the Dream Beauties. Big cheap plastic things that feed off the MLP popularity without being anything like actual MLPs.

Offline Sweet Stuff

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Lil Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 02:22:07 AM »
So Softs are my least favourites due to the feel of them and they don't look very good to me (I prefer deflocked), also I don't really like Sparkle Ponies. Their sparkle made the colours look really dull and unsaturated.
Currently looking for: NIP G1 Sweet Stuff.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 03:17:48 AM »
Sundae Best. Scents and symbols...no for me. Just in general. Also bride ponies that have no other identity than being a bride...

Otherwise I am not too fussed about gimmicks.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 03:42:20 AM »
It isn't G1, but the G4 where you look into their cutie mark and see a picture of their world? What the heck?  There is nothing about looking into anyone's rump design and seeing a whole magical world that is ok.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 04:01:35 AM »
The Sweet Kisses teens with lipstick and Dance n' Prance top my 'meh' gimmicks list.
And the eyelash Princesses.  Those caterpillars! D:
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 04:10:16 AM »
The precious pocket ponies are silly, as well as the ones who's back compartments open up.  They are banned from my herd, though I have one pocket pony I need to trade and get rid of.
I see a lot of dislike for the Sundae ponies, and I admit I don't like 3d symbols, but I do like this set.  I wonder if anyone has tried to customize by sanding down the symbol and replacing it with a painted version?

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 04:33:48 AM »
I personally can't stand the mechanised ponies, like the BBE, Dance 'n Prance, and Happy Tail ponies.  The only exception I have would be the Brush 'n Grows, they're pretty and their mechanisations are discreet.

This! I wasn't even allowed to have toys that did stuff as a kid because they take away from imagination, so these features always look weird to me.

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 04:41:22 AM »
I really love most of the gimmicks. So-Softs, Twinkle Eyes, BBEs, etc...I love them all.

However, I don't really like the Secret Surprise ponies or the Surprise Twins pony. I just have this weird thing with animal toys that you are purposely supposed to open up on the regular. It makes me a bit squeamish. And yeah, I've been this way since I was little. I pretty much never used the piggy bank my parents got me when I was a kid. I think I even put tape over its 'cork' so it wouldn't open and just played with it like a regular toy. Something about toys with openings/compartments like that just...yeah, no.

I'm not sure whether I'd keep one if I found it in the wild, but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to get one.

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 05:03:42 AM »
The precious pocket ponies are silly, as well as the ones who's back compartments open up.  They are banned from my herd, though I have one pocket pony I need to trade and get rid of.
I see a lot of dislike for the Sundae ponies, and I admit I don't like 3d symbols, but I do like this set.  I wonder if anyone has tried to customize by sanding down the symbol and replacing it with a painted version?

I'm guessing the symbol might be hollow, so it might be more a case of cutting out the symbol and using something to remodel (which is also fiddly)? I am just guessing - for me the scents are worse than the symbols for this set. ;) I love Sweet Scoops although she's so similar to Sorbet Surprise/Sherbet in colour and design - because she has no scent and her ice cream is nice and understated.

I have a soft spot for Pocket ponies. I thought them weird even when I was a kid. Still bought one though :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 06:01:23 AM »
The Drink and Wets. Even as a kid I never be saw the appeal of having a toy that pees and changing it's diaper (having three younger siblings might have something to do with that lol).

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 06:30:08 AM »
The BBEs for me. As a kid I always made her the outcast of the group or a sick pony everyone had to save/take care of. It sounds so mean! But, I think I found them unnerving, as I feel that way as an adult. Especially when their eyes yellow, but I think it's mostly do to how the plastic shapes around the eye.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 06:40:13 AM »
Perfume Puffs-It looks like they've been stuck in a toy box for years and have uncurable frizzy matts, it drives me insane just looking at em.. Plus their colors are so dull.

BBEs I'd like to try and get Frosting and Lofty though, I hear they don't look so bad in person. Maybe it'll help me with my mild blinky eyed doll phobia?

Ballerinas-They look weird.

Dance n Prance What a shame, they're such a pretty set..

Both sets of Sweet Kisses-I don't like their names, or colors.

Great Hair and Hair-do Ponies-Sorry, no offense to those who like them, but I think they're ugly.

Eyelash Princesses-I don't hate them, I just think they're hilarious! I wouldn't have either of them though.

Teeny Tinies- I can't stand their faces, symbols or names.

Soda Sippins-What a shame, they're beautiful ponies and their accessories are so fun looking

Fancy Pants Babies-Printed on clothes annoy me and panty ponies are very awkward. I do however own a cute, moulded on fancy pants fakie from Tara Toys. She's so silly!

Sweetheart Sisters-With the exceptions of a few, Sundazzles, Wildflower and Pretty Belle the SHS are really dull and boring.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:58:51 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline mewthemew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 07:34:27 AM »
I dislike beddy-bye-eye ponies, but only because if their eyes get dirty it seems nearly impossible to clean. They're cute otherwise, but man are they hard to maintain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal