collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Least Favorite Gimmick  (Read 7693 times)

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Least Favorite Gimmick
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 07:43:55 AM »
Probably the Sippin' Soda ponies, simply due to the misplaced hole in their upper lips. The gimmick itself is cute, but the mouth holes being in the wrong spot really bugs me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 09:09:32 AM »
I only really dislike the Dance n Prance (that knob!) and BBE.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 10:06:30 AM »
The BBEs for me. As a kid I always made her the outcast of the group or a sick pony everyone had to save/take care of. It sounds so mean! But, I think I found them unnerving, as I feel that way as an adult. Especially when their eyes yellow, but I think it's mostly do to how the plastic shapes around the eye.

Oh my gosh that is so weird I did the EXACT. SAME. THING. with my one BBE. It didnt help that she had her face also chewed on by my cousin's dog. But she was always the sickly outcast.

I just dont like BBE. Still. When I was young I hated the SS ponies and would try to rub their flocking off but now I wish I hadnt because the SS are now my favorites.

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 10:46:00 AM »
How could I have forgotten about BBE! The ponies that scared me away from g1 for the longest time!  :shocked:
I'm also not a fan of the Dance and Prance ponies or the Perfume Puff ponies. The Dance and Prance ponies look just so....weird when they're doing their main function and I'm not a fan of the colors of the Perfume Puff ponies.

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 11:44:24 AM »
I'm not a fan of the Fancy Pants babies, those printed-on grunners creep me out.
Magic Message ponies aren't my thing because of that heat sensitive coating that so often takes on an extremely unpleasant brown colour and bubbly texture - talk about gross!
The Sweet Talkin' ponies aren't my cup of tea either because I just generally don't like talking toys much. When I was a kid, I had particular personalities in mind for various toys and if they had a set of stock phrases, then it kind of limited the possibilities of the character. :/
Also in regard to G2s, the Magic Motion ponies with the huge joints in their necks bug me - especially when there's a really pretty pony that's ruined by weird neck mechanism.

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 12:20:59 PM »
#1 Beddy bye eye ponies.  To me they look kind of spaced out plus the manes on the unicorn ones I have are stuck up in mohawk mode.
#2 The ones with rooted eyelashes.  In my eyes look like someone who has overdone the mascara and ended up with tarantula lashes.
#3 I love the movement of the Dance and Prance ponies and they're a gorgeous set but I loathe that knob.
#4 The hole in the mouth of the Soda Sippin' ponies annoys me.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 12:33:43 PM »
Any gimmick that encouraged kids to stain their ponies like putting hippo toenails and lipstick on them. And BBEs for the stoned expressions and bad choice of having generic doll eyes.

In G2 I greatly dislike the ones that have a tiny magnet spot on their nose. The magnet shouldn't have been visible.

Also not a fan of the silly faced G4s (allthough I think they only made Pinkie and RD). They can join the BBEs in a room together with Father Damien Karras.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 01:22:36 PM »
Any gimmick that encouraged kids to stain their ponies like putting hippo toenails and lipstick on them. And BBEs for the stoned expressions and bad choice of having generic doll eyes.

In G2 I greatly dislike the ones that have a tiny magnet spot on their nose. The magnet shouldn't have been visible.

Also not a fan of the silly faced G4s (allthough I think they only made Pinkie and RD). They can join the BBEs in a room together with Father Damien Karras.

:lmao:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 02:22:11 PM »
I don't like the second set of Princess Ponies and their tinsel forelocks. Their colors don't appeal to me, either.
I also don't like the Dance and Prance ponies. Their colors are nice, but the knobs on the chest ruin it.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 02:27:27 PM »
The Fancy Pants babies can't charm me...I love how creepy the BBE's are, but I just don't like the printed on diapers. They look weird!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 02:54:49 PM »
I've hated a lot of gimmicks only to suddenly change my mind about them.  I *detested* the Dance 'n Prance ponies as a kid.  Absolutely hated everything about them when I saw them in stores, and it carried on like that for years.  Then I went to my first ponymeet - and saw one in action for the very first time.  It was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen...and I was in love from that moment on:p     I still think the knob is ugly, but there's nothing funnier than a fully functional Dance 'n Prance pony doing its thing!  They have to be fully functional for me to want them, but if they work I love them!

A similar thing happened with that pregnant mommy pony.  I didn't like her at all for years.  I did like the babies a lot(so cute!), but the mommy - ugh.  I found the whole concept slightly disturbing, and I didn't think she was that attractive.  Then I started to get serious about filling in some holes in my UK/Euro collection.  Just about that time she *really* jumped in price, and I figured that if I was ever going to get her, I should probably do it before she really got out of hand.  Someone was offering a working one with *3* babies for trade, and she wanted things I had on hand.  I decided to go for it.  When I finally got her and saw her in action for the first time in my life - love at first sight!  Again!  I put one of the babies in, "cocked" her belly, and pushed the button.  That baby shot out like a missile, and it was the funniest darn thing I'd ever seen. 

There are other lines I originally didn't like, but eventually came to love.  The Teeny Tiny ponies disturbed me as a kid - now I think they're cute.  The Fancy Pants ponies didn't do it for me back in the day, but now they're some of my favorites. 

However, there are quite a few lines that I still don't like, and may never really get into.  I don't like the Soda Sippin' Ponies, or as I call them the "bj ponies"  *cough*.  I don't like any of the ballerina ponies.  They're just ugly looking to me.  The molds are just bad.  I had a few BBE ponies as a kid, and I was pretty indifferent to them, but they are pretty fugly and I don't really like them.  If something is available in a non-BBE version, I *always* go for that one.  I never saw the appeal of the Drink 'n Wet ponies.  I've ended up with all of them making their way into my hands some way or another, and they just get put straight into the trade bin whenever I get them.  I never was much into the Dream Beauties except for the set with wings, though I don't particularly dislike them.  It's more that I'm not really interested enough to pay the prices and suffer the misery of trying to collect them all.  I *really* dislike those huge Soft Sleepy Newborn ponies.  They're just terrifying!       

There are few lines that I've never really liked, but they're starting to maybe shift over to thinking about keeping a few of them.  I never liked the Sweetheart Sister style ponies - any of them. But I've been collecting their accessories, and I keep getting more of them in.  They go straight into the trade bin, but some of them have sort of caught my eye.  I also don't like boy ponies(any of them) as a rule, but I've ended up with a few while picking up accessories.  Those have been placed in what I call "collection limbo".  They're not really part of the collection, but they're also not in the trade bin.  I don't know what to do with them yet, so I just hold on to them.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 03:35:52 PM »
Dance and Prance-I don't like the knob in their neck

Secret Surprise ponies-I think Hasbro must have been trying to make a pony version of Keypers but for some reason I think Keypers are a lot cuter than Secret Surprise ponies.

Drink n Wets -although I think this bothers me more and adult than it did as a kid.

Adult ballerina ponies-Why are their symbols placed on her backs?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »
Magic Message. I love this set and have three of them in my herd, but those symbols are so fragile! I wish they just had regular symbols and no gimmick.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »
Mine has to be the eyelash princesses - I think of "40 lashes!" every time I l look at them.visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also the So Softs - these things were not built to last. Obviously all that flocking is gonna rub off or get dirty. And then there's the second set, where the glue automatically yellows with age.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Tiara546

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 06:03:14 PM »
I don't particularly like eyelash princesses either, and I find the scented ones breathtaking in the worst way. Haha
I wish they would have been made without the gimmiks. But... there is one pony which I would not want in my collection even if I could get her for free - and that is the Surprise Twins pony. I prefer anything that has to do with pregnancy, giving birth and such not to get into my near surroundings. Just not my pony. At. All. Glad she's so rare, that way I'm pretty safe not to get her by accident.  :silly:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal