collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Buyers not Leaving Feedback?  (Read 2397 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Buyers not Leaving Feedback?
« on: April 20, 2018, 06:42:20 AM »
Soo I've started using ebay to liquidate my childhood LPS and I've sold quite a few! Which is great, but I've had no customers leave feedback?
It's not as if my account has nothing on there, but I don't want to scare away potential buyers who see all my feedback is only for buying. I also like to just see the number go up...
Is it considered rude to message my buyers and ask for them to leave feedback, or do I just have to keep selling until someone actually does use feedback? I always leave feedback on the buyers and I haven't missed anyone yet. Is there anything else I can do in the future, or is this just the unfortunate ebay environment now?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Buyers not Leaving Feedback?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 06:45:32 AM »
Buyers often don't leave feedback, sadly.  Don't worry, eventually some of them will.

I would definitely not ask buyers to leave feedback, a lot of buyers will find that annoying and you may not get the kind of feedback you want! 

Sometimes I've had sellers add a little note in the box, like "Thank you for your purchase!  If you are happy with it please consider leaving feedback because it helps me a lot. :)" or something like that.  Whether this actually helps or not I don't know, I've always left feedback anyway.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:24:13 AM »
I'd venture to say feedback isn't really that important to ebay buyers anymore. I think it's rare that someone going to look to see how many feedback was from buying/selling.

For myself, the only sellers I'm cautious of are 0 feedback sellers who are selling big ticket items, vague descriptions, and/or stock photos. But, quite honestly, ebay/paypal buyer protection has my back if something went wrong.

That said, I agree, a handwritten note is the best way to ask someone for feedback without sounding like you are nagging.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 12:23:38 PM »
I have to admit, if someone asks me for feedback, they are less likely to get it ;)

I usually get around to feedback leaving but it takes me a while and I do it in bulk. I think a lot of people do it that way. I don't mind if I don't get feedback from a buyer. I would like to know if an item arrived, but I tend to figure if I don't have an angry message on my account, they're ok with the purchase...

As I've said before, ebay feedback is largely meaningless since it wipes out every 12 months and negatives from prior transactions become invisible. I took so much pride in my account in the past with no negatives because then if you had a negative, it dinged your 100% forever, not just for 12 months. And sellers cannot leave negatives, which makes buyer feedback irrelevant too. Finally, since ebay removed the negative feedback on a counterfeit game seller's account because I'd got a refund, I don't genuinely believe that negative feedback means anything in the bigger picture. Apparently refunds = positive transaction = no negative allowed. And that's not how it works in my book.

If Ebay went back to a proper feedback system where all feedback mattered and people could leave negative and positive feedback honestly and fairly again, then that would be different. But all that feedback matters now is getting sellers discounts on fees and stuff. Reality of that is that private and occasional sellers like myself now pay higher fees as this has to balance out somewhere. And that's just not right, either.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 08:14:24 AM »
Unfortunately people don't leave feedback a lot of the time these days. Eventually someone will, but until then  :
Buyers often don't leave feedback, sadly.  Don't worry, eventually some of them will.

I would definitely not ask buyers to leave feedback, a lot of buyers will find that annoying and you may not get the kind of feedback you want! 

Sometimes I've had sellers add a little note in the box, like "Thank you for your purchase!  If you are happy with it please consider leaving feedback because it helps me a lot. :)" or something like that.  Whether this actually helps or not I don't know, I've always left feedback anyway.

This :nod:  this is what I do.  When I sell something on ebay I always include a small thank you card with the item - a similar note to what LadyMoondancer mentions here. It does help encourage buyers to leave feedback IMO. They still don't *all* leave feedback but definitely more of them do than before I started to do that ;)  :relaxed:
I would never message someone on ebay about leaving feedback (even though some people do) - you really shouldn't mention it on there because you run the risk of annoying your buyers or someone can even report you depending on the words
....  although a polite message about feedback if they were happy with the transaction sent to someone who bought an item from you here at Arena would be ok. You just need to be careful with the wording , that it doesn't sound like you are demanding feedback - not that I think you would, I'm just giving general advice  :)
 Give the note a try for your ebay buyers  :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »
This is a lot of good advice: Putting a note in the package sounds like the best route. Thank you guys!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 03:52:18 PM »
Unfortunately I've had this happen. You take time to clean up your product, photograph it from every angle, describe every flaw, pack it well and go ship it and the buyer can't be bothered to take two seconds to leave feedback.
I have to admit, if someone asks me for feedback, they are less likely to get it ;)

I usually get around to feedback leaving but it takes me a while and I do it in bulk. I think a lot of people do it that way. I don't mind if I don't get feedback from a buyer. I would like to know if an item arrived, but I tend to figure if I don't have an angry message on my account, they're ok with the purchase...

As I've said before, ebay feedback is largely meaningless since it wipes out every 12 months and negatives from prior transactions become invisible. I took so much pride in my account in the past with no negatives because then if you had a negative, it dinged your 100% forever, not just for 12 months. And sellers cannot leave negatives, which makes buyer feedback irrelevant too. Finally, since ebay removed the negative feedback on a counterfeit game seller's account because I'd got a refund, I don't genuinely believe that negative feedback means anything in the bigger picture. Apparently refunds = positive transaction = no negative allowed. And that's not how it works in my book.

If Ebay went back to a proper feedback system where all feedback mattered and people could leave negative and positive feedback honestly and fairly again, then that would be different. But all that feedback matters now is getting sellers discounts on fees and stuff. Reality of that is that private and occasional sellers like myself now pay higher fees as this has to balance out somewhere. And that's just not right, either.

This is just silly and rude. A seller asking you to click a couple of buttons and you refuse to because.....no reason other than out of spite and because the system doesn't work exactly the specific way you personally want it to.
Feedback does matter. It's the first thing I look at. Just because the feedback isn't 100% representative of a person's actual reputation does not mean it's completely useless and should be skipped over. Twelve months is a decent amount of time. It shows what that person has been like recently. Since you're dealing with them in the present day it's much more helpful to see how they've been performing during this time rather than how they were performing five years ago.

It sucks that sellers can't leave negatives. This is true. It also sucks when a buyer won't give you credit for being a decent seller and just takes you for granted because they hold all the cards as a buyer. It takes two seconds to help a seller out and leave positive feedback if your experience was a positive one.

As for why half the buyers don't leave any feedback, I guess they're all too entitled and just expect you to go above and beyond without anything in return. I'm sure there's a lot of apathy involved and a lot of folks are used to buying from big nameless stores like Amazon and such. I'm hoping they FORGET there's a real person behind some eBay stores rather than they just don't care, but with the way the general public is these days, it could very well be either.  :shrug:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
It's not silly or rude, it's reality.

Let me put it another way.

Last summer, my mother was in hospital with pneumonia. She was really ill, and it was chaos. I was home with my Dad, we were trying to manage everything along with the fact that my mother has a compromised immune system and all kinds of other health problems.

During this time I got insistent messages from a seller demanding feedback.

My duty to my seller is to pay for my item. This I do. I do not expect feedback from my seller, nor do I ever nag anyone, buyer or seller, because I am not so arrogant as to think that my feedback score should take priority over someone else's real life.

I personally see selling as the enabling of yourself and the buyer - you get the money, they get the item. I don't sell things because I want someone to praise me publically. I sell things because I want the buyer to be happy. I spend my time and effort trying to ensure that happens. If that results in feedback, that's lovely - but if it's asked for, it has no meaning. It ought to be the honest thoughts of the buyer, not something they feel obliged to do because the seller has asked for it. I don't leave feedback I don't mean. I don't believe in it.

I've been selling for 20 years and I remember when feedback was important. I also remember the feedback system in the trade community which was equally if not more important. You're seriously misled if you believe what ebay offers today can in any way, shape or form convey to a buyer or a seller whether or not the person they are about to deal with is honest or reliable.

I have been scammed this year by someone with perfect feedback. I have seen numerous sellers with perfect feedback relist and cancel auctions or end them early without reason even when there are bids on them. The reality is that a lot of transactions these days fail for reasons they didn't used to fail. The diluting of feedback and the ease of reneging on deals are both part of why this is. On the odd occasion when I have had to leave a negative, it has been removed by ebay because I received a refund, even when it related to sale of counterfeit goods. So as far as I can see, how does my leaving feedback help inform future buyers? If I'm not allowed to leave anything but positives, what good does that do?

And as I said, I do leave feedback. But I do it when I can, in bulk, and that is often several weeks later. I have a disability which also makes logistical things like form filling more complicated so it is less stressful for me to do it in bulk than to try and remember to log in every time I get a parcel. Most of the time my packages go home anyway, and I don't get them for weeks because I'm here. I can't leave feedback for what I haven't yet received.

Sellers should not ask for feedback, because it implies you need to do it on their time scale, and that they think they are more important than everything else in your life. That's not reasonable or fair, and so I am within my rights in those instances to not leave feedback at all.  It's not 'out of spite' because a seller asks me to 'click a couple of buttons'.

Your post was out of line.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:31:46 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 09:17:52 PM »
It's not silly or rude, it's reality.

Let me put it another way.

Last summer, my mother was in hospital with pneumonia. She was really ill, and it was chaos. I was home with my Dad, we were trying to manage everything along with the fact that my mother has a compromised immune system and all kinds of other health problems.

During this time I got insistent messages from a seller demanding feedback.

My duty to my seller is to pay for my item. This I do. I do not expect feedback from my seller, nor do I ever nag anyone, buyer or seller, because I am not so arrogant as to think that my feedback score should take priority over someone else's real life.

I personally see selling as the enabling of yourself and the buyer - you get the money, they get the item. I don't sell things because I want someone to praise me publically. I sell things because I want the buyer to be happy. I spend my time and effort trying to ensure that happens. If that results in feedback, that's lovely - but if it's asked for, it has no meaning. It ought to be the honest thoughts of the buyer, not something they feel obliged to do because the seller has asked for it. I don't leave feedback I don't mean. I don't believe in it.

I've been selling for 20 years and I remember when feedback was important. I also remember the feedback system in the trade community which was equally if not more important. You're seriously misled if you believe what ebay offers today can in any way, shape or form convey to a buyer or a seller whether or not the person they are about to deal with is honest or reliable.

I have been scammed this year by someone with perfect feedback. I have seen numerous sellers with perfect feedback relist and cancel auctions or end them early without reason even when there are bids on them. The reality is that a lot of transactions these days fail for reasons they didn't used to fail. The diluting of feedback and the ease of reneging on deals are both part of why this is. On the odd occasion when I have had to leave a negative, it has been removed by ebay because I received a refund, even when it related to sale of counterfeit goods. So as far as I can see, how does my leaving feedback help inform future buyers? If I'm not allowed to leave anything but positives, what good does that do?

And as I said, I do leave feedback. But I do it when I can, in bulk, and that is often several weeks later. I have a disability which also makes logistical things like form filling more complicated so it is less stressful for me to do it in bulk than to try and remember to log in every time I get a parcel. Most of the time my packages go home anyway, and I don't get them for weeks because I'm here. I can't leave feedback for what I haven't yet received.

Sellers should not ask for feedback, because it implies you need to do it on their time scale, and that they think they are more important than everything else in your life. That's not reasonable or fair, and so I am within my rights in those instances to not leave feedback at all.  It's not 'out of spite' because a seller asks me to 'click a couple of buttons'.

Your post was out of line.
I am sorry that you feel my personal opinion is “out of line” when your personal opinion is somehow not. I will not push the matter since it is obvious that you have some deep seated issues that are related to personal matters. I respect and agree with many of your ideologies when it comes to MLP, however this is not one of them. You can be quite pretentious and ornery and combative  when you feel personally assaulted and this is obviously one of those times. So I will back off and again just say, I respect you and your opinions, but I do not agree with them in this particular   instance. :shrug:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 12:44:54 AM »
Your post wasn't out of line because you disagreed with me. Obviously everyone has their own reasons for their choices. I respect that.

Your post was out of line because you said this:

This is just silly and rude. A seller asking you to click a couple of buttons and you refuse to because.....no reason other than out of spite and because the system doesn't work exactly the specific way you personally want it to.

You didn't ask for the reason. You jumped to conclusions and then attacked me based on those conclusions. It came out of the blue and it upset me.

On the other note, as most people here know, I have autism. That means sometimes I am tactless, sometimes I am more driven to reply to something, and sometimes I may go overboard because something upsets me. But autism means that it is not possible to just ignore something that is unjust. In order to resolve the situation, it's necessary for me to set the record straight, which I did. You made a wrong assumption about my motives, so I explained those motives.

Although as many people here can testify, I work really hard at posting in as inoffensive a manner as possible, I do make mistakes, especially when I am upset by something. I don't really think this is one of those cases, though. No matter how tactless I am, too, I don't resort to personal insults. I may argue my case and I may do so strongly, but I will never do it by insulting the other person. If I disagree with something then I will post about it. But I am posting about the opinion. I am not posting against the person as an individual.

I also don't have deep rooted issues relating to personal matters, either. I just don't like being called names.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:42:43 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 05:38:54 AM »
Hi everyone - just putting in a reminder here - we're all allowed our opinions , it's fine to share them in TS , and of course not everyone has to agree/ have the same views  -  but lets make sure we stay respectful of each other and not unnecessarily upset each other ok?  ;)  I don't think anyone means to deliberately offend anyone else , so please lets not argue - thanks  :lovey:  XX Ringlets TS mod :heart: 

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal