collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why though???  (Read 3197 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Why though???
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 11:59:02 AM »
I just think of the "MLP Pool Party" vids all over youtube.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »
I used to wash my ponies because they got dingy from play.  I took them out every day.  I must had dried them out completely because there isn't any tail rust or mod. And most of my glitters still have glitter.  But poor Glory's got scrubbed trying to get the dirt off.  I remember being more careful after that.

I guess I just don't question it.  The ponies were labeled 3+, so any thing could happen.  At that time, no one was thinking valuable collectors item and most expected the toys to end up lost, trashed or given away in a few years.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 01:07:53 PM »
*shrug*  We were PLAYING with them!    Personally I scribbled on mine with pen, hung them from their hair, flung them by their hair, buried them in sand and dirt and mud, took them swimming, took them in the bath, etc.

Actually I will admit that a pony missed the "outdoor fall cleanup" and she is currently frozen, in an ice block of leaves and dirt outside my front door... if I pull on her, the plastic would be brittle and snap from the cold!  So she has to wait until the ground thaws and I can bring her back inside and clean her out... oops... 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 02:26:05 PM »
Your frozen pony made me laugh so much. :rofl:
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 02:36:18 PM »
I'm not completely innocent to my own question. I remember my first ever pony (which just so happened to have a glitter symbol) I left outside in a pile of damp leaves for over 3 years. When I finally found her, the poor thing's tinsel was all stringy and wet, her hair was matted, her symbols almost gone, and some animal must've been chewing on her.  :| Not to mention she was in a puddle of dirt...lovely.  :yikes:
I remember once I also had a fakey and for whatever reason I hated the blue it had so I was like "What if I make it pink??" and now I have a fakey with half of its body blue and the other half purplish pink.  :drunk:

I had a better understanding of toys than most other kids when I was little because of rubber duckies. I remember my brother got me one and I was really excited but after a while it started shooting out black stuff. My mom explained that was mold and it happens if you let your toys stay in the water too long and don't dry them well enough. Little me, not wanting to risk anymore "deaths" of my toys, vowed to never put another toy in the water in case they got mold.

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 03:29:49 PM »
I'm scared to know what's inside my childhood ponies - but I certainly played with them. Bath, pool, lots of play.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 04:02:49 PM »
I haven't found a pony with tail rust yet so I guess I never really thought about it. I think my reaction would mostly be "Ew, gross!"

My biggest "Why though?" is the ones that some long ago kid has colored "makeup" onto. So it'll be a totally normal looking toy except for garish pink marker all over the lips and maybe some blue on the eyelids. My childhood toys were well played with, but I tried my best to take care of them and would never, ever have colored or drawn on my toys.
Hasbro actually advertised putting makeup on ponies. In the Sweet Shoppe commercial, it was literally saying "Pony makeup!" And showed a kid using the eyeshadow applicator and the blue (?) eyeshadow from the playset on Fifi's eyelid. I'd assume kids tried to replicate it with whatever they had, whether it was marker, nail polish, or makeup. Nice going there, Hasbro.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 04:17:07 PM »
Some ponies came with pony makeup too (see my Twinkler story on page 1) maybe a lot of kids used other things when the pony makeup ran out?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »
I never put make up on a pony, but I did put tons of make up on this Little Red Riding Hood doll I had, trying to glam her up.  I even put eyeshadow in her hair to make it more colorful.  It never really came out . . . whoops.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 08:00:06 PM »
I never put make up on a pony, but I did put tons of make up on this Little Red Riding Hood doll I had, trying to glam her up.  I even put eyeshadow in her hair to make it more colorful.  It never really came out . . . whoops.

My friend once put nail polish on her doll's lips as lipstick  :P

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 04:58:30 AM »
I remember finding ponies at carboot with nail polish over their wings..

I don't remember if we had the free makeup with a random pony thing here, I certainly never did have one BUT...aside the Perfume Puff Palace, which did, the Princess Brush and Grows here all came with it as standard in the UK. THe nail polish bottle even has Star Gleamer on the label. I still have my loose one somewhere. AND lipstick. O.o.

Several of my childhood ponies have specks of polish still around their hooves. But it's kind of a memory of the past, so I haven't removed it. Specifically Star Gleamer herself, Braided Beauty, Songster, Masquerade (she liked to dress up >.>)...

The Trim & Grow Beauties from the Dream Beauty line also came with scissors to cut the hair. And I've seen enough brush and grows with haircuts to know that happened to them a bunch too. My Curly Locks clearly had a budding hairdresser as her previous owner, as she has layers o.o
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Bewilderbeast

• Captain Jack Pony
  • contextual tomato consumption
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 07:15:36 AM »
My mum would put new pony acquisitions (which were always secondhand) in the washing machine before she let me play with them. Also, my ponies spent A LOT of time in the bath. Strangely, there is actually very little tail rust in my childhood herd.
Call me Pixie!

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 10:12:17 AM »
I know why some of mine have rust....I played with my ponies in water every chance I could. Even the so soft ponies....the joy of dipping Shady in the pool and seeing her light pink flock turn a shocking hue of pink was amazing to me. And I had a Paradise Estate, with which the pool was always full of water. I'd say that a pony with tail rust was well-loved by a person. :) But NOW when I see tail rust on my ponies I am like "oh man I should really replace the washer". But I just dont have time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal