collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fading question.  (Read 348 times)

Offline ordinarycollector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
Fading question.
« on: April 14, 2018, 01:45:57 PM »
Whoever owned my new batch of ponies before me taped name tags around some of their necks. As you can imagine after 30+ years, the tape not only left sticky residue but also faded the vinyl underneath. I have been reading about sun fading. My question is, do I have to fade the rest of the body to match the lighter spot? Or is there a way to make the bit that was under the tape darken up a bit? Maybe I should be looking at painting the lighter spot instead?

I started with this particular pony because she had a couple of pox marks on her neck and some hard to see ones under her markings, along with the tape fading. (I think pony collectors also call these age spots? In Cabbage Patch collecting they're called pox, small round discolorations of the vinyl, and they're usually impossible to remove without ruining the doll.) So I'm willing to experiment a bit because about 8    of the ponies I got at the thrift store the other day have tape residue and fading. I'd like to be able to get at least a couple of them looking nice and minty. So I figured I'd start with the poxy ones and see what works best on the taped areas, even if the pox stays.

I tried to take a picture but it was very hard to get the colors to show true. In person the different colored areas are far more noticeable.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Fading question.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 02:44:08 PM »
I would let the pony as it or paint the spot, but not sunfade the whole pony for such a tiny flaws (at least for what I see on the picture).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Blog / Facebook Page

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal