collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: German names for Sundae Best Ponies?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
German names for Sundae Best Ponies?
« on: April 12, 2018, 04:01:43 PM »
Hi all :)
I am trying to catalogue my ponies properly for the first time, and I am also trying to use the pony's proper name, rather than the English name for ponies/variations sold in particular places.

But I can't find the names online for Butter Kiss/Swirly Whirly and Chocolate Chip/Coco Berry in German for the two with the different hair colours.

Help please someone?? :D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
Re: German names for Sundae Best Ponies?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »
Hi!
I had a look in the nirvana gallery and found that on there they are listed as:
Schokostückchen - chocolate chip/cocoberry
Waffelchen - Butter Kiss/Swirly Whirly
I don’t own these so I can’t say for sure, but I hope it helps a bit  ^.^
Mlp Sunsparkle x

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »
Now why did I not think to check the Gallery? *facepalm* Thanks :) If someone can confirm those are their real names (which they probably are, since PKW wouldn't allow it any other way) then I can finally amend my record.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pikkupapupata

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 04:41:32 PM »
I tried to find a photo of a German card but had no luck, but I've used the following site before when looking up German names (in green).  :)

http://www.mkp.pytalhost.de/g1/jahre/jahr6/jahr6.html#eisponies

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 04:53:45 PM »
That helps a lot. It's interesting with my very basic German how much the German names tend more towards the UK names (Kirschlein/Cherry Berry, for example) than the American. The geek in me notices that because on one UK insert the set is called Ice Cream Ponies and that seems a direct translation from the German (or vice versa), even though ultimately the set were sold here as Sundae Best.

It looks like those are their actual names as well. I was also looking for a German card, but had no luck :(

Putting in the proper names is fun, actually. Although I did have a fun session of press-the-symbol-on-the-pony to figure out which of my Sweet Talking ponies was Spanish and which was German. (They still all work after 26 years O.o). I have two purple and one pink loose and I knew that one of the purple ones is Talk-A-Lot, but I couldn't remember which way around the others were. :D

And then I had to find a MIB image to check I got the accent in the right place on Charlatan's name.

I love languages :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:59:39 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pikkupapupata

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 12:09:20 AM »
Oh, good! I like that site. I think I found it during one of my internet hunting sprees for non-English names after seeing too many errors on My Little Wiki, if they had certain names listed at all. And not to discredit them, I love the Wiki. But Spanish Baby Heart Throb is Bebé Corazoncito, not canastilla [little basket/cot/crib]. But now I have some decent resources for French, German, Greek, Italian, and Spanish names, including some photos of cards and boxes from intensive Google searching. The Greek names were especially fun, but somewhat time-consuming. I wrote them all down with Greek letters and Latin transliterations, but not knowing Greek and trying to figure out how exactly to write Lambaditsa with Greek letters, as well as what it means, took me about 2 hours alone.  :blink:

I might compile all of them into a notebook one day. I'd love to add more, too, like the UK names, Nordic names, non-Spain Spanish names, Canadian French names (if they differ; I've never thought about that until now)...

I've somewhat noticed that with names in different languages, what they mean in English, and then comparing them to the UK names I do know, then with the US names. I may have some bias since my predominant exposure is to US things and conventions, but I feel like naming in the US is often a bit too reliant on being idiomatic and 'catchy' or 'punny', but not so much in a cheeky or clever way (sometimes I feel like it's downright annoying, or 'loud' is another way I interpret it). I feel like a lot of UK conventions do this better, or are much more comfortable just being forward, or generic but not in a bad way. For example, the Mountain Boy ponies. I think that's brilliant. It describes just enough, it's memorable, and I love those ponies (and want all of them so bad!). If they were released over here, I feel like they would have been over-marketed, their names would be altered or 'enhanced', and they wouldn't be Mountain Boys. They'd end up being called something like the Rugged Explorer Brothers, or the Big Brother Globetrotters, or the Fearless Voyaging Stallions. I don't even know, I just know it would have been too much for something that wouldn't need to be changed at all. It's one of the reasons I like learning about ponies in other countries; most of the time, the names make more sense to me, and they aren't trying to be too much. Sundae Best is cute and punny and all, but Ice Cream Ponies would work just fine.

One of my new goals is to get the Sweet Talking ponies that don't speak English. Can't wait to play that game myself!

I love languages too, as I think you can see.  :biggrin:

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 04:42:04 AM »
Sherbet's German name is Weinträubchen. I remember from childhood. :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 05:56:46 AM »
Canadian French and French names do vary...I know that in France Shady is "Incognito" as I have her MOC, but I have seen Petit Ombre for her Canadian name. Also some of the Dutch/French cards I have have the English name and then a French name but I don't know if that is THE French name or yet another variation.

Names are fun. I always use the UK names because that's what I grew up with, but I feel like if a pony wasn't sold here then I ought to use the name it had where it was sold. Sometimes, like with Italian ponies, that is complicated because of them being sold in multiple places...but I call Baby Sugarberry by that name even though the adult here was Strawberry Fair since that's her only official release name. And I call the German Rainbow Ponies by their German names and not English ones where possible, too.

I did once try to translate the Scrapbook into French, years ago, back when it was smaller, I was younger and stuff. I only got so far with it though. I don't suppose there'd be much use in translating it into Japanese now, even if I had time or energy to do it. I totally could do it, but I really don't think there'd be a point. Plus, trying to put all those names into katakana would probably kill me. I hate katakana and would be so tempted to make up new names with kanji to express the meaning instead xD.

I don't know whether the wrong Wiki names maybe come from a different Spanish speaking origin. I do know that Dream Valley corrupted some names and invented new ones (ie when the Schooltime ponies were first on that site, Paintingtime was called Art Time and DV claimed it was because her German name was Artzeit ,but it isn't, it's Klecksi...)). And Baby Countalot got called Baby Abacus for a while which at the time seemed invented but actually turned out to be her name in Spain.

So yeah. Names are complicated and interesting and often varied. But a minefield ;)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 06:12:41 AM »
The sets name is "Eiscremeponys" (Ice Cream Ponies)
and there are the following ponies :
Peppermint Crunch -> Pfefferminzi (Peppermint)
Crunch Berry -> Kirschlein (cherry, "lein" is a suffix used to belittle something, same goes for "chen" btw. So, you can say little cherry to her i.e.)
Coco Berry -> Schokostückchen (piece of chocolate. Additional, a little piece of chocolate cake is called so too, again "chen" is used to belittle it)
Sherbet -> Weinträubchen (grape, and "chen" you already know lol...)
Banana Surprise -> Banänchen (banana, "chen" again)
Swirly Whirly -> Waffelchen (waffle / wafer... and "chen" again :P)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 06:19:36 AM »
Thank you Einhornbaby! I knew you'd have the definite answers for sure :) Sources all agree so I guess those names are good to go :)

I love Pfefferminzi as a name. It's one of the cutest German pony names (although I am also rather fond of Trixi for Tic Tac Toe, just because it sounds so not-pony xD)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pikkupapupata

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 11:23:43 AM »
It's great fun; I treat it like a puzzle game or a treasure hunt, finding all of the different names and their circumstances. I've been the same way in using them too; I prefer to use the fitting regional name where I can, or at least list it first and put an English title after a /. For the eBay sales that I have done so far, I keep everything in English, but I always list a UK name as well if I know it. I think at the least it's courteous. I have two Italians so far; Pan came from Germany, and Gustavo came from France. But I don't have any MIB/MOC, so for names, I just use their ITALY hoof stamps as my basis for using their Italian names. I'm not sure how I would call an Italian on a German card, for example... :wonder:

It would be fun to see your site in different languages (I've actually visited it many times over the years before I joined the Arena and found it was yours!), but I understand how time-consuming it can and could be, especially for Japanese. I can't really fathom the frustrations of katakana since I have limited experience with Japanese, but I can imagine it, especially having to mix it with kanji and hiragana; it would be so much material to be transliterated and expressed amidst the other scripts. As for French, I did also remember this site as well, should you ever have a use for it!

With the Wiki, that was the example that immediately came to mind, because the section contains a photo of Bebé Corazoncito MIB, and the name, I think, is pretty explicitly stated in the formatting, but the section's description still lists it as Canastilla, which is just a descriptor of the set due to its placement on the box. All of the other photos on the Wiki of the Spanish babies in their boxes say Canastilla as well, so I'm just trying to understand how it happened for Bebé Corazoncito only. There are lots of other listings that have Spanish varietals, and the country/region is usually specified with the name. It's awesome that the effort was taken to compile different names and list them, but overall it just seems fragmented and a little disorganised on the Wiki, so that's why I've tried to rely on other sources to supplement or confirm what they have listed.

I do remember seeing Baby Abacus listed on DV - wow, that gave me a little blast from the past! I never put that together or noticed it, though; DV was gone and only available in an archived form by the time I got really into researching MLP history and names and such.

I think I'm going to start looking more into names around the world now that we've been talking about this. I'll have to see if I have a blank notebook around...

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 12:06:47 PM »
If you ever create an online name guide thing for this, let me know because I'd love to link to it from my site :)

There are some active people on the Wiki on here who might be able to fix the baby Heart Throb issue for you.

The Wiki is such a huge project that there are always going to be errors. The thing I like about the Wiki over other similar sites (including the defunct DV and the Strawberry Reef G1 guide) is that the Wiki people DO listen and WILL correct things. And that makes a huge difference. Everyone makes mistakes, but when a site owner either vanishes or actively refuses to correct errors, it's very frustrating. The Wiki folk don't do that. So I suggest ask someone and it will be sorted out.

I know that one of my Italian ponies is an actual Italian pony (yellow Minty), but most of mine came from the Netherlands, Belgium, France or Germany during the late 1990s and early 2000s. So their names could be one of a number of languages. With those I just stick to generically labelling them with English names because they have multiple possibles and mostly they seem to come out of these other places rather than Italy. Italy had a very interesting pony line from what I can gather, but it doesn't seem to have copied other countries.

I have a German card for the Rainbow Ponies set, and I have an Italian Hopscotch (Hopser) MOC. Interestingly I also have baby Kirschblute (CJ)'s card and the baby is Baby Hopsi, so they don't match. Hopsi is also on the leaflet ad I have, but that pamphlet has a different name for Himmelstanzer (Himmelsturmer?).

I also noticed what I assume is a printing error on the German cards I have for the Sunbright Daddy and the baby ponies from that set. Einhornbaby may be able to settle it definitively but on my Daddy card, he's called Papa Sonnenglanz and on the baby card the baby is Baby Sommerduft. I don't actually know which way around it should be, as it's interchanged with the Meadowsweets. :/ This is the printed text on the back, not the labels on the front, so its a bit weird. But I remember that there is one release of the Rollerskates Ponies that has the names misprinted in English as well. It just doesn't make it any easier to figure out the proper names - sometimes even backcards don't answer all the questions...xD

I can't imagine there'd ever be a use for a G1 pony site in Japanese, or that it would really help my language skills xD but it would be something like this:

Sunlight
Katakana (Sanraito) サンライト
Kanji 日光 (Nikkou)

Or the kanji with the katakana reading as furigana. Can of worms. I'd spend more time figuring out how to write the names than actually writing anything useful on the site xD.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pikkupapupata

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »
I will definitely let you know if I do that! We'll see how it develops; I'll see how far I can get on my own with the resources currently available, but eventually I may start some threads on here to compile names if I can't find them elsewhere.

(I'm especially excited for/curious about Nordic names, since Finnish and Swedish are my favourite languages.  XD)

That's good to know about the Wiki; I've only seen the one user, Absol, post occasionally, but the last post was from November last year, so I never put a priority on trying to point out the error. It was more a funny error to me anyway, so I would just chuckle and move along knowing what the name is supposed to be. I'll send them a message to see the next time that they're active on here, as well as on the Wiki since I just found their contact address.

I love that Italy made their own system; they're the only region I know of that did that.

From what I could find on the German site, and from literally translating the names into English and making reasonable assumptions as to their correspondence, any Sonnenglanz will be a Sunbright member, and any Sommerduft will be a Meadowsweet member. Based on that, I think it's safe to say that they are printing errors, but, I also don't speak German or have a lot of experience with cards and errors and such, so I stop short of trying to be absolutely definitive.

There's just so much cross-referencing and cross-checking that's necessary in trying to catalogue the names, I can understand the occurrence of errors and confusion. It's also quite funny to see sometimes (like the one photo from someone here, I think it was Fizzy on a baby sea pony card; maybe it was yours? I can't remember! :lol:).

I think the Japanese would really just be for the love it, not so much for practical utility. Even if it is just transliterating the names and taking the most time on that, it would be fun to see and learn. I've always been curious about MLP in Japan too. I know that there were the Takaras, and the keychains that were made, but I wonder more about releases through the 80s, like if there's anything to discover, if it wasn't really a thing, or what. I have it in the realm of the South Africans, but even with them, I've found out more on them.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 03:53:48 PM »
Yep, Fizzy on Sunshower's card is mine, someone here also has a Galaxy on Water Lily's card xD.

Actually, there are a lot of different regional pony releases within Europe. The idea of Europe is a misnoma really. There are ponies that the UK had which Nordic countries had, but not mainland Europe. Ponies that the Benelux countries had which other surrounding ones didn't. Germany, the UK, Scandinavia had their own unique additions. Italy created its own packaging which makes it stand out, but a lot of the UK cards were re-edited or created anew for other European countries, making it impossible to know who originally designed them ;)

Italy had Princesses with dragons and so did the UK, in different boxes - France and Germany had them on card, and Germany with different hair.

Australia and NZ also created their own kind of market between some US release ponies, some UK release, and then alt birthflowers on unique cards different from those in other places.

People focus too much on a binary US vs Europe/UK divide but actually most European countries were diverse from one another in one way or another. :) Some sets in Germany were even released on both European and US style cards at the same time, both in German language.

I think most ponies sold in the Nordic countries were sold in English packaging in the UK style. I know there are some Danish MOC in the Danish language and there are the Birthflowers which are also I think in Danish. Otherwise I am not sure...BUT I am not certain about what they were called in comics. I have some Finnish comics but I have never looked to see what kind of names they use for the ponies in them. Someone here will doubtless know, though...

I would tend to agree with Sonnenglanz/Sommerduft but it totally threw me that they were differently printed. I have all three of the babies on German card and they all say the same...but I only have the one adult card, and it sounds like his is the one that's right...O.o
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pikkupapupata

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
It was yours! Well, now I'll remember.  :lol:

Sometimes it's difficult for me mentally to keep track of all of the different regional releases within Europe, especially as I'm still learning and incorporating new information, and because there can be so much overlap and I don't want to be unnecessarily exclusively specific. So I end up being one of many who default to a more binary (or ternary if also separating UK releases) labelling system, and using terms like 'European releases' as an umbrella term to save on wording, and as a way of [over-]compensating, or really just to refer to all of them that could fit into that category. I think it's also a subconscious bias since I have and have had more direct exposure to US releases, and to looking at information with a US filter (the US has such a bizarre fixation on binary systems, to a detriment at times), if you will.

I think once I'm able better to sort and organise all of the information mentally, I'll know better what terminology is more fitting to use. Learning about names helps with that somewhat, and I try to specify releases more now than I used to. I'm still figuring out what consistent wording to use.  XD

Recently I saw some G2s on Nordic cards with English, Danish [perhaps doubling as Norwegian due to strong similarities and orthography], Swedish, and Finnish printed on them, and I follow a bunch of pony people on Instagram who happen overwhelmingly to be in the Nordic countries; they've posted a lot of G1 memorabilia, like comics and magazines, and I have caught a glimpse of names in the print. All of these piqued my interest and had me thinking about all of the regional names, regardless of release origin, manufacturing origin, things like that. I'm just really intrigued! :biggrin:

And yeah, I think a German speaker will have to sort it out. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal