collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are standard international shipping prices for bubble mailers?  (Read 1852 times)

Offline MidnightRarity

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • G4 Collector!
    • View Profile
    • Midnight Rarity YT
Hi there!

I recently had people interested in purchasing some of my regular sized G4 ponies (like 1 or 2 of them, aka not that heavy). I was wondering how much the cheapest shipping (1st class us?) option would be, and a how much a rough estimate would be to ship to places like Canada and the U.K.? They would be shipped in bubble mailers!

I've seen some people use stamps on bubble mailed before, would that work?

I'm sorry, it's just that I've been looking online for an idea on the prices, but no to no avail! I just don't want to have the buyer be upset at a mistake I hope to not make!

Thank you so much for helping!!
Hello! :D

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: What are standard international shipping prices for bubble mailers?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:28:13 PM »
Gonna jump in and say it's a better bet to go and pay the postage at the post office if not through paypal. Stamps are worth 50 cents each right now, and with even domestic shipping my bubble mailers have been sent to a city away for $3.75, which would be 8 stamps and I'd be losing 25 cents. The amount of stamps needed to send postage above 3 oz does vary, but it's a better investment to pay the exact amount.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 07:34:08 PM »
I use the usps website.  There are various weight cut-offs so be aware of those.  For example, you can only send first class up to a certain weight and dollar value if shipping overseas.  Also, for example, lets say you are sending a package to the UK.  If it is 8 oz or less, it costs $14.00.  Any fraction over 8 oz and you are paying at least $23.50

https://postcalc.usps.com
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 07:58:48 PM »
If you want a general idea without a specific country in mind, this is a link to the international rate chart showing all the possible first class rates (make sure you're reading the section for the package rates). https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c341

Using stamps should work, but you would still need a customs form.  (Not sure if you'd get any tracking that way though.)

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline pikkupapupata

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »
I recently began selling (just through eBay for now), but I use USPS First-Class Package International Service for any international shipping. Here is everything I researched beforehand to help prepare myself for international shipping (it's been extremely easy so far):

Spoiler
*The USPS offers a tool to calculate shipping, and you can estimate the cost to different destinations for a variety of different services.

*It is important to remember that, for the most part, this First-Class International Package Service may only be used for parcels up to 4 pounds; anything more will have to use the next available service.

*This service would be the one used for bubble mailers (I use boxes for mine for added protection). As far as I understand, anything that has a thickness over 1/4 of an inch is considered a parcel, and so would have to be sent using this service.

*You are allowed up to 36 inches in combined length, width, and height/thickness for a package using this service.

*The weight can slightly alter the shipping cost, so it would be worth it to invest in a scale to have an accurate weight. This is also important for the customs form that must be attached to the parcel, as the weight of the contents must be listed in addition to the total package weight.

*The USPS also has a tool for generating a customs form to print out and affix to the parcel.

*They also have a page with links to information and tips on preparing international shipments in general.

*Further, they have information on individual countries since prohibitions, restrictions, standard practices, and the like may vary by location.

*Tracking is possible when a package is shipped to certain countries; so far, tracking information has worked extremely well on all packages I've sent to Canada, Belgium, and Spain.

*If you create an online USPS account, you'll be able to use the Click-N-Ship tool to generate a shipping label and a customs form, as well as obtain the tracking information when applicable.

*I would imagine theoretically that stamps may suffice to cover the shipping cost, but you may sacrifice access to tracking, and it will require a lot of stamps for an international parcel. It's easier to pay online and have the postage accounted for on a printed label.

*The lowest starting price for international shipping that I've seen with this service is $10. For Canada, I have seen anywhere between $10 and $16 (depending upon package weight and size). I haven't shipped to the UK yet, but I believe the starting price is at $14.

*The customs form is extremely important; weight and value especially must be accurate. Citizens of other countries often have to pay fees based on the value of the contents of international parcels that they receive (which is something I didn't know, and I haven't heard of this occurring in the US). This value does not include the shipping cost. So, for example, whatever someone pays you for one of your ponies - let's say $8 - is the value of the parcel. Nothing more, nothing less.

*On that note, for the First-Class Package International Service, I believe that you are not allowed to send anything valued at $400 and over.

So! That's a lot of information, but I believe it's all important and relevant. The Click-N-Ship tool will basically guide you through the whole process and set up everything for you, and the postal workers will be able to help you as well. I've done it several times, and I have yet to have a problem or be confused about what I'm doing. And all of my packages made it to their destinations safely.

I hope this can help you!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 12:03:45 PM »
I use the usps website.  There are various weight cut-offs so be aware of those.  For example, you can only send first class up to a certain weight and dollar value if shipping overseas.  Also, for example, lets say you are sending a package to the UK.  If it is 8 oz or less, it costs $14.00.  Any fraction over 8 oz and you are paying at least $23.50

https://postcalc.usps.com

Those are the prices I was going to mention for the UK. A single pony is basically $14 and then the next grade is $23.50.

They look less horrible in £ though :) I think for those of us who buy from the US a lot, that's the kind of rate we've come to expect. I bought a bunch of G4 from someone in the US before Christmas (3 or 4) and they were able to send them on the $14 rate. One did have very cut hair though.

Best option - if you have a small set of scales, weigh the ponies in the bubble mailer with a bit of extra packing then go calculate on the USPS site so you know for sure. Scales are really useful for pony shipping.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »
Yes I agree if you are going to sell  you need some sort of scale.  It doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive thing out there. I actually use a food scale I already had for mailers of one or two ponies, but you will be surprised just how expensive it can be.  The thing is if you are shipping from the USA you will have to pay  more because a pony is more than 1/4 inch thick and that raises the price as whether its in a mailer or not it will then go box rate.  So, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with these detail like size of the mailer, thickness of the mailer and the weight.  Once you put all of that in to the online website they will tell you exactly how much it will cost to mail whatever you wish to ship to where ever you want it to go.

Oh it looks like pikkupapupata mentioned this and it was under a spoiler and I didn't see it lol.  I need to read through the threads more before I post.  Sorry about that one.  Good luck with your selling. ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:21:12 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal