collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why do Magic Message ponies' cutie marks turn brown?  (Read 992 times)

Offline Prince Firefly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • little adventurous prince of ponies
    • View Profile
    • Neocities
Why do Magic Message ponies' cutie marks turn brown?
« on: April 10, 2018, 01:57:06 PM »
I found my first Magic Message G1 at a thrift store- Cloud Dreamer. Her cutie mark went brown.
For those who don't know: Magic Message ponies usually have solid blue cutie marks until you apply heat/rub them, then pictures appear.

But even the ponies on My Little Wiki show their brown symbols! Cloud Dreamer's seem to be the worst. Windy/Magical Breeze's also does it, and the others do it to a lesser extent.

Is there an explanation, and are the cutie marks worth repainting?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  hi! i'm prince firefly / thistle whistle  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

pixel sources are koszegiandras + katcombs. icon by c-puff. stamps by me.
neocities // pony blog /// wishlist /// collection

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Why do Magic Message ponies' cutie marks turn brown?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 02:28:13 PM »
Awww, that is sad to hear.  :(  Is it the "outer" part that turns brown or the part underneath?

(For those who haven't owned a Magic Message pony, part of it is printed on the pony's bum like a regular symbol.  Then a second 'layer' of symbol is added over it.  Like the cloud for Cloud Dreamer.  And when you press the 2nd part, the print below it shows through.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 02:34:51 PM »
The symbols on these are pretty delicate, I have heard of them coming away completely at the least thing, so I wouldn't advise messing with it too much to be honest.

I am not sure if by brown you mean the film-like heat sensitive substance that covers the symbols - I have noticed this can go brown around the edges. None of my loose ponies have an overall brown symbol, though a couple have really worn symbols. But I have seen brownish around the edges of these where you can see the heat sensitive covering.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Prince Firefly

• Fancy Pants Baby
  • little adventurous prince of ponies
    • View Profile
    • Neocities
Re: Why do Magic Message ponies\' cutie marks turn brown?
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 02:35:18 PM »
Awww, that is sad to hear.  :(  Is it the "outer" part that turns brown or the part underneath?

(For those who haven't owned a Magic Message pony, part of it is printed on the pony's bum like a regular symbol.  Then a second 'layer' of symbol is added over it.  Like the cloud for Cloud Dreamer.  And when you press the 2nd part, the print below it shows through.

oh my god its heck yeah pony scans themselves!

I didn't know it was layered! I guess I should have figured that, though. As for which layer it is, I have no clue, but I believe it's the outer part.

Post Merge: April 10, 2018, 02:36:09 PM

The symbols on these are pretty delicate, I have heard of them coming away completely at the least thing, so I wouldn't advise messing with it too much to be honest.

I am not sure if by brown you mean the film-like heat sensitive substance that covers the symbols - I have noticed this can go brown around the edges. None of my loose ponies have an overall brown symbol, though a couple have really worn symbols. But I have seen brownish around the edges of these where you can see the heat sensitive covering.

I believe it to be the heat sensitive coat, though I may be wrong.
  hi! i'm prince firefly / thistle whistle  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

pixel sources are koszegiandras + katcombs. icon by c-puff. stamps by me.
neocities // pony blog /// wishlist /// collection

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 04:38:20 PM »
As others have said, there is a thicker, heat-sensitive layer of material over the painted symbol on MM ponies (the Euro release Nurse ponies have a similar feature).  Over time the layer can lose its sensitivity (won't fade with heat to reveal the painted symbol underneath), discolor, or become scratched.  My guess is that either the rubbery matrix of this stuff or the heat-sensitive pigment in it on your pony discolored due to age and/or exposure.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 05:12:08 PM »
My Magic Hat just has a permanent pink cloud over her symbols, I simply can't get the symbols to 'magically" appear like they're supposed to.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:22:11 PM »
How timely is this post. I have three Magic Message Ponis, two Magic Hats and one Windy. I as cleaning them today and when running their symbols under warm water they changed! However I spaced out whilst drying Windy and damaged her symbol a bit. I’m so annoyed with how I forgot to be careful!!!

Anyways here are my two Magic Hats, one of them is missing her symbol on her display side!

:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
I’ve never had one of these ponies, but I want one. As for why they turn brown...
     I’m not a chemist, so this is what I’ve gathered and come to. My conclusion is the same as everybody else. The film has wore away or gotten damaged in some way due to exposure, breakdown of the chemicals or some other force. 
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 09:59:39 PM »

Here's my Mirror Mirror. As you can see the coating is damaged and her symbol is stuck on the princess. I wish I knew about the heat senstive coating before. When it started peeling off I wasn't sure what was wrong with my pony.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 03:32:30 AM »
I have only one of these ponies: Magic Hat. She was sold as Magic Star, and actually has not even the smallest sign of a symbol anywhere. Nothing on her cheek either. But I actually really liked the simplicity of her like that, so bought her on purpose and haven't tried to restore her either. And of course kept her name as Magic Star and made her a necklace to make up for the loss of a symbol. She sits on the shelf with my favourite favourite ponies

Regarding the browning of your pony's symbols. It sounds to me as if they have a heat sensitive plastic layer over them? (Please all pony people correct me if I am wrong about that) And plastic does tend to go yellow and then brown with age. Perhaps this is what is happening? This is just speculation on my part; I mean I am the owner of a messageless Magic Message pony after all.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 04:11:32 AM »
@Night Glider, your pony is really pretty. Very interesting that she lacks even a cheek symbol, as that shouldn't come off so easily. Makes me wonder if she ever had one.

I have seen these ponies with completely gone symbols before. I used to have a Cloud Dreamer but I don't seem to have her now so I guess I sold her. I have also heard of the symbol just coming off in water O.O. so I wash them very carefully. I picked up a Cloud Dreamer at the toy fair a year or so ago and even travelling home her one symbol took a scratch or two. She was in my trade box but my sister decided to adopt her so she ended up staying.

I had to upgrade both Magic Hat and Mirror Mirror due to symbol damage and Floater due mostly to haircut. This set seem to have a lot of flaws. I don't know if any of mine work now, I haven't tested them in years. I know that my upgrade Floater and my Magical Breeze (UK name for Windy) both used to work fine. I think my Cloud Dreamer did as well, but I'm too scared to risk it now. Here's my Magical Breeze with her symbol intact.

My Magic Hat with some wear but no browning:

And a  more worse for wear Mirror Mirror that has since been upgraded, but also just wear, no browning:

Raindrop is right that the Nurses use similar technology on the symbol heart.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 04:13:54 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal