collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5!  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: G5!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 08:41:49 PM »
I wouldn't mind Applejack and Pinkie sticking around, since they're from before G4 anyway. Minty should be a main character, I'm sure people would love that.

Also, Applejack as a boy but still with normal length pony hair, yes please!

Why gender bend a known character, when they can just make new ones or bring back old ones?
Usually I don't like gender bending known characters, BUT I used to imagine Applejack as a boy when I was a kid, and I've seen that others did as well, so it would be really neat to me if they did that. Otherwise I'm all for new characters or bringing background characters to the spotlight.

So? Its still a dumb, lazy thing for animators to do.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SilverHorsey

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I am made of horses and ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 01:14:53 AM »
I like some of the art styles, but I would like to see NEW CHARACTERS. Or bring back some names from the G1 line that never got the spotlight. For example, Parasol, Tic-Tac-Toe, Munchy, etc. Or a mix of generations. Let's see a show that has G1's Lemon Drop, G2's Light Heart, G3's Autumn Skye, and G4's Cupcake and have them all be introduced in a new unique style.

To be honest, I would also be perfectly fine if the next toy line didn't have any tv show tie-in at all, much like G2. Maybe then they'd focus on a diversity of brushables rather then recycling the same six names over and over again. But either way, I'm excited to learn that Hasbro is moving onward to a new generation!

This^
Formerly known as bigmylittleponyfan

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 04:27:40 AM »
I wouldn't mind Applejack and Pinkie sticking around, since they're from before G4 anyway. Minty should be a main character, I'm sure people would love that.

Why gender bend a known character, when they can just make new ones or bring back old ones?
Usually I don't like gender bending known characters, BUT I used to imagine Applejack as a boy when I was a kid, and I've seen that others did as well, so it would be really neat to me if they did that. Otherwise I'm all for new characters or bringing background characters to the spotlight.

So? Its still a dumb, lazy thing for animators to do.
They are less likely to make AJ a boy because of being a main character for a show mostly directed towards little girls. Maybe tomboyish (I think AJ was supposed to be that in the first place in G4) but they are not likely the gender swap.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 07:26:03 AM »
Do you think we'll see some G2 ponies in this line? Ivy, Clever Clover, Hip Holly?

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 08:56:31 AM »
Do you think we'll see some G2 ponies in this line? Ivy, Clever Clover, Hip Holly?
That would be so great! Personally I've always been a fan of Light Heart's simple yet fun colors. Maybe that's why I like G3 Sunny Daze so much. But any of them would be a welcome addition!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 09:44:36 AM »
That would be so great! Personally I've always been a fan of Light Heart's simple yet fun colors. Maybe that's why I like G3 Sunny Daze so much. But any of them would be a welcome addition!

She is pretty. Some of that leaked artwork would be perfect for ponies like Silver Swirl, Princess Crystal and Copper Glow.

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »
I would rather see a whole new look tbh. The leaked artwork is pretty but, if it's real, then they're just tinkering around the edges.

If G5 consists of yet more re-releases of the mane 6, or even a repeat of some of the other characters we've already had from G4 and G4.5 but with only a slightly changed appearance, then they will have lost me too and I will draw a line under my collecting and focus on getting all the G1s, G2s and G3s that I am missing.
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »
I would rather see a whole new look tbh. The leaked artwork is pretty but, if it's real, then they're just tinkering around the edges.

If G5 consists of yet more re-releases of the mane 6, or even a repeat of some of the other characters we've already had from G4 and G4.5 but with only a slightly changed appearance, then they will have lost me too and I will draw a line under my collecting and focus on getting all the G1s, G2s and G3s that I am missing.

Same.

Offline cookifaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »
I like some of the art styles, but I would like to see NEW CHARACTERS. Or bring back some names from the G1 line that never got the spotlight. For example, Parasol, Tic-Tac-Toe, Munchy, etc. Or a mix of generations. Let's see a show that has G1's Lemon Drop, G2's Light Heart, G3's Autumn Skye, and G4's Cupcake and have them all be introduced in a new unique style.

To be honest, I would also be perfectly fine if the next toy line didn't have any tv show tie-in at all, much like G2. Maybe then they'd focus on a diversity of brushables rather then recycling the same six names over and over again. But either way, I'm excited to learn that Hasbro is moving onward to a new generation!

I'm not sure how true it is, but I read somewhere that they originally wanted the mane six to have their g1 counterparts names, but unfortunately the only patents Hasbro actually still have hold of from g1 are Applejack and Spike. Hence the reason why all the other ponies that look like the g1 ponies have slightly different names or they have the same name but look a tiny bit different.

Post Merge: April 11, 2018, 02:48:58 PM

Same. I have barely collected g4 though because i could never get my head round the fact that they changed rarity from a young pink unicorn to a mature white one, and turned rainbow dash from a fashion-conscious earth pony to a tomboyish pegasus. Hasbro basically just swapped the personalities of a lot of the ponies and I've never gotten over it, although I really should because its been 8 years.

I'd love to see some different ponies that are a bit chunkier and actually could pass for horses, like the g1's and g3's, if you get what i mean.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:48:58 PM by cookifaa »

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »
Hi!
A long time ago around this year i've seen what are supposed to be possible G5 designs for the new show and stuff, probably most of you have already seen them but I wanted to share the pictures I found anyways.

At first I thought this image was a collab between various artist, I really like row 5 but they seem to be going for a Row 2 vive.

And this is the other one I found

I personally like the concepts, I don't like that they made Fluttershy an unicorn, I'd prefer her as an earth pony, but they're going to change all the story sooo I suppose this change is gonna make sense  :good:

So, the most important part ...
Do you like how these look? Aaaaaand, how do you think the toys for this gen could be or should be based on these concepts?
I think they should probably gonna resemble G2 a little, the concepts look taller than the G4 characters, so I think this time instead of making them even smaller they should do them a little taller.
That's all, thanks for reading!
these are from artist on tumblr as a fan re-design, I remember seeing them a few months ago on there, if I find the artist name i'll post it
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 03:29:50 PM »
these are from artist on tumblr as a fan re-design, I remember seeing them a few months ago on there, if I find the artist name i'll post it

They're not. Redesigning the Mane 6 is very popular among artists on Tumblr, but these images are from when DHX emails were leaked.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 05:10:42 PM »
I'm really liking row 2 and 6 although I do think making twilight an earth pony is an odd choice.

btw does anybody think row 5 is a bit creepy? They look too human.... :blink:
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 05:22:08 PM »

I am 90% sure Hasbro UK switched AJ's gender around in some of the books before settling on her being a girl in the comics and onwards. I think similar happened with one of the seated ponies. Possibly Bubbles. I would need to check and my books are buried in my wardrobe. But while I am not particularly of the persuasion that AJ should be a boy, it's not that there's not a precedent.

I want Pinkie Pie to be permanently erased from existence, but Hasbro like her way too much for that to happen. I didn't like her much in G3, but the character in G4 is just not funny and very annoying. And the name is also an irritation. I really dislike her a lot...of all the mane 6, I'd like to see her go. And if Rainbow Dash were to stay, a brand new personality that isn't the current one would help. Though I'd like it if they used a different rainbow palette. We've seen blue/rainbow for 2 generations now. What about yellow/rainbow or pink/rainbow or green/rainbow? Or even purple/rainbow or orange/rainbow and bring in Tickle/Flutterbye type palettes? They could merge Flutterbye with Fluttershy and create a yellow rainbow pegasus with a butterfly symbol. That would be interesting. Even if the name Fluttershy stayed, the pony would be original and thus more interesting.

Shifting species between ponies is not interesting and demonstrates Hasbro's lack of creative imagination now vs in previous generational reboots. They are clinging onto G4 like a puppy afraid to leave its mother, but that's how you kill a toy line. G5 needs to be brave enough to redesign the colour palettes and rename the core characters. Otherwise you just regurgitate stale stuff and end up with the mess we saw with Monster High's reboot. Where the characters got a minor makeover, the story changed (for the worst) and suddenly the line fizzled into terminal failure.

Better to end MLP forever than repeat G4 over and over for the rest of existance just because nobody at Hasbro has the ability to create a new core any more. (If we even need a core, which in my opinion, also demonstrates a lack of creativity).

As LBS said, whatever sells is the ultimate goal. But it would be nice to think someone involved in it cared. I think G4 was originally created by someone who cared, but the toy production element hasn't really been. If you look at the initiatives with previous generations - range, colour schemes, accessories, package stories or at least information - it's been gradually depleting since the end of G3. G1 ponies had individual stories for most of the run, different card art for each set, and there was a sense that they were being designed with a child's imagination in mind.

G4 toys are sold to perpetuate the 'magic of friendship' from the tv show, but that's about all.

I don't hate G4 and I have several of the toys, even though I dislike the show. But if I was a kid now, I would not have collected MLP. The toys I rejected most as a kid were ones that lacked variety. The Mane 6 would've put me off.

I've said it before, but it's the mane 6 who shelf-sit in my area.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stellaluna

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 05:54:49 PM »

I'm not sure how true it is, but I read somewhere that they originally wanted the mane six to have their g1 counterparts names, but unfortunately the only patents Hasbro actually still have hold of from g1 are Applejack and Spike. Hence the reason why all the other ponies that look like the g1 ponies have slightly different names or they have the same name but look a tiny bit different.
I can't say I know much about how patents and trademarks work, but wouldn't it be in Hasbro's best interest to just reapply/purchase the names they want to use? They have the money.  :wonder:

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 07:04:22 PM »
I've heard the whole "we lost the copyrights to the G1 ponies, we could only have Spike and Applejack, blah blah blah" excuse before. But how do they put ponies like Starshine and Moonstone and Glory on retro merch? Does that mean they have the rights to those? And like Stellaluna said, couldn't they get those copyrights back? :what:

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal