collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLPArena Nirvana Spotlight: South African Ponies by pinkkittywinks  (Read 16613 times)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
South African Ponies

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

*picture pinkkittywinks

Very little is known about South African ponies. This spotlight aims to bring together the little that is known about these rare and strange looking ponies.

Before I begin I would like to say and extra special thank you to Stormy31685 and Kasin for helping me with this spotlight, for answering all my questions and for letting me use their pictures.

I will refer to South African ponies as SA ponies through out the spotlight.

Where are South African ponies from?

South African ponies were sold by Prima Toys, a South African toy company. This company is still going today and was one of the distributors of G3 My Little Pony line in South Africa.

Many Nirvana ponies were made by local toy companies under the name of Hasbro. For example, El Greco produced the Greek ponies, Auriken produced the Mexican NC ponies and DAG produced the Italian ponies. One could say that the SA ponies fit into this category in that the ponies made by a local toy company under Hasbro. However, the back card does not state where the ponies were made only the name of the company Prima Toys.

This theory of the ponies being locally made in South Africa doesn’t quite fit with the SA ponies hoof markings. South African ponies’ hooves are marked “made in Hong Kong”. The hoof markings are barely legible but you can still make it out. One could argue that it has been badly blanked out as is the case with some no country ponies.

Another line of thought is that the SA ponies weren’t actually licensed. It is possible that a mould was made using a Hong Kong pony and that this mould was used to produce a line of “My Little Pony’s’”. That may explain why they still have the Hong Kong under their feet. *kasin

In conclusion one can see that there is still no concrete evidence that SA ponies were actually made in South Africa.

Where these the only "Hasbro" ponies to be sold is sought Africa?

As well as the strange SA ponies South Africa is known to have got the Pony Friends Truly and Cupcake, as well as a whole host of other regular release ponies. *ladyg

Where have South African ponies been found?

Loose South African ponies have been found in the UK, South Africa, Germany, the Netherlands and the USA.

Who are the South African ponies?

All the SA ponies which have been found so far are from year 2 and it possible that the whole of the year 2 line was produced and sold. *kasin

Here is a list of the following variants have been found so far;

Earth

*thank you stormy31685

*thank you kasin

Bubbles (yellow with blue hair)
Applejack (orange with yellow hair)
Seashell (green with green hair) (this is the only variant of seashell in a standing pose)
Bowtie (dark blue with pink hair)
Blossom (lilac with pink hair)
Cotton Candy (pink with pink hair)

Rainbow

*picture pinkkittywinks

*thank you kasin

Sunlight (green with rainbow hair)
Windy (white with rainbow hair)
Moonstone (blue with rainbow hair)
Skydancer (yellow with rainbow hair)
Starshine (white with rainbow hair)
Parasol (half finished version found, pink with rainbow tail)

Pegasus and Unicorn

*thank you louhma

*thank you kcat

Medley (yellow with blue hair)
Moondancer version 1 (white with pink and yellow hair)
Moondancer version 2 (white yellow and pink hair)
Firefly oddity (green head, pink body and blue and green hair)
Heartthrob (white with red hair)
Powder (lilac with white and pink hair)
Sparkler version 1 (blue with red and pink hair)
Sparkler version 2 (blue with pink and red hair)

Rumour
According to the collector Seashell, there is rumoured to be a Sprinkles, she is white with red hair. This was a case of mistaken identity!

As one can see most of the SA ponies resemble their HK cousins, however there are others who look completely different. For example, Medley is bright yellow instead of green and Seashell is in a standing pose instead of sitting.

What makes them special?

The Body.

*thank you kasin

If you look at a SA pony you will notice they look a bit odd. This is because some of them are made up of different pony body parts! Bubbles has Moondancer’s walking pose body and Firefly’s open mouth head!!! Seashell has a Moonstone’s proud pose body and a Firefly open mouth head. Windy has a Moonstone’s head and a Moondancer’s walking pose body.

The plastic body of a SA ponies is VERY hard.

The Hair.
The hair is similar in texture to Brazilian ponies in that it is very fine and frizzes. The hair colours also appear to be unique to SA ponies too (I have yet to find an exact hair match for my SA Sunlight with any other MLP pony) All the SA ponies appear to have long flowing manes that go right down to their hooves and quite a long tail.

The most noticeable and unique feature though is their rooted tail! Instead of having a single tail hole with a tail held together by a washer like all other ponies, they have a stitched tail instead. The tail of a SA pony is rooted in the same way as a pony mane.

*picture pinkkittywinks

It has also been noticed that some SA ponies shed their hair very easily when brushed and others do not.

Hoof Markings.
South African ponies are all marked “© 83 Hasbro Pat Pend. Hong Kong” the hoof markings are only just legible, compared with a normal Hong Kong pony.

*picture pinkkittywinks

Hoof markings can be misleading. Mexican, Spanish, Greek and Argentinean ponies can all have no country stamp markings on their feet and it is only by looking at the ponies’ features that can one identify their country of origin. Despite being marked Hong Kong it is clear that this is not a Hong Kong pony!

As mentioned earlier In this spotlight one could argue that due to the illegibility of the stamp it could have been badly blanked out as is the case with some no country ponies or that the HK stamp was just left or forgotten about.

Eyes
All the South African ponies that have been discovered so far all have blue eyes. The pupil, eyeliner and eye lashes on all known ponies are black. The eyes are very different to Hong Kong eyes which are cleanly printed on. South African pony eyes are very fuzzy looking as if they have been air brushed on. The only ponies that have similar style eyes to a South African pony are Italian ponies with airbrushed eyes.

HK Sunlight and SA Sunlight eye comparison *picture pinkkittywinks

SA Sunlight and Italy Minty with airbrushed eyes eye comparison *thank you so silver for Italian Minty with airbrushed eyes

Symbols
The symbol of the SA ponies only resembles their HK cousins in passing. They are printed on in one block colour and are quite small in scale.

Comparison of SA Sunlight and HK Sunlight’s symbols *picture pinkkittywinks

Conclusion

From looking closely at South African ponies, one can see that they are unique in the world of MLP; though they still do bare a passing resemblance to their Hong Kong cousins. There stand out features include their mixed up poses and a rooted tail. Like many Nirvana ponies such as Greek and Mexican ponies it is thought that SA ponies were made by a local toy company under the Hasbro name, however there is still no hard evidence that SA ponies were actually made in South Africa.

Prices
They can sell for anything between $800 and $4000 plus.

A big thank you got Shelti :missy: who saved each of the spotlights. This spotlight was first published on April 19, 2008.

Please respect the Nirvana Spotlights and the MLParena and do not take pictures or information for use on eBay, personal sales or webpages. The Nirvana Spotlights were kindly written and donated to the MLParena by members for use here only.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 09:21:27 AM by pinkkittywinks »
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: MLPArena Nirvana Spotlight: South African Ponies by pinkkittywinks
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 04:48:54 PM »
They are very lovely! I do love how they seems to talks with their open mouth, it makes them look alife!
It's a shame they are so rare, I would love to see more of them.

BTW I was talking about them to one of my flatmate recently as she's in Africa for a trip right now, asking if she could looks after one for me ahaha (zero chances it's gonna happend, saddly). This post would have been helpfull, thanks for it either way :biggrin:

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 01:27:16 AM »
Love these spotlights, I am learning so much!

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 12:45:21 PM »
Ahhhhh! A spotlight on my grails! I really love these ponies, thank you for a lovely article  :)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 01:08:02 PM »
Another line of thought is that the SA ponies weren’t actually licensed. It is possible that a mould was made using a Hong Kong pony and that this mould was used to produce a line of “My Little Pony’s’”.

Honestly that makes a lot of sense.  It would appear that Prima had molds only for a completed pegasus, a completed unicorn in Glory's pose, and Moondancer's body, which would explain why all of the earthies are a mix of a hornless peg head and wingless uni body.  Firefly's head meshes marginally better with Moonstone's body than with Glory's (they both look weird), so Prima only had to have access to 5 different molds to make all varieties of pony at the time.  I wonder if SA ponies are really very sophisticated knockoffs that flew under Hasbro's radar.

Offline Cvoysey93

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 04:04:39 PM »
I absolutely love sa ponies my dream is to own them all one day!
There is cotton candy as well she doesn’t appear to be in the list?

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 04:23:27 PM »
I love these spotlights! They are so fun to read :biggrin: SA are so pretty :heart:

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 05:07:33 PM »
I absolutely love sa ponies my dream is to own them all one day!
There is cotton candy as well she doesn’t appear to be in the list?

The spotlight was originally written in 2008, before any SA Cotton Candy had been found.

I did update the spotlight, but obviously omitted her for some reason, most likely because I’m human and make mistakes :blush:

Love pkw xxx
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:11:52 PM by pinkkittywinks »

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 12:23:11 AM »
The SA ponies are intriguing. I have given up on ever owning one, they are just too htf and out of my price range. I will probably end up making a custom. Has anyone ever tried making a custom rooted tail?
-

Offline KC8114

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 09:49:08 AM »
I love these spot lights!!  Thank you so much for sharing all of the information.

SA ponies are so amazing.  I love them and their uniqueness and history :)
Thank you aluke for my lovely avatar!!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 03:41:33 PM »
The SA ponies are intriguing. I have given up on ever owning one, they are just too htf and out of my price range. I will probably end up making a custom. Has anyone ever tried making a custom rooted tail?

Yes!

I kept the regular tail hole in the middle and rooted around it to disguise it :) of course there is a tail in the centre or it wouldn't be so thick ;)

Love pkw xxx

Offline pikkupapupata

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 09:03:33 PM »
Thank you for compiling all of this information and keeping up with it! The South African ponies have been so mysterious to me, I'm happy I was able to learn a bit more about them. I hope more continue to be found and shared; I love that there are so many international ponies, and that discoveries are still being made.

With all of the languages in South Africa, I wonder if these ponies ever had names in these languages, or if the English names were used by default. It would be so cool to find out, especially if they do have non-English names!

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 05:24:31 AM »

Yes!

I kept the regular tail hole in the middle and rooted around it to disguise it :) of course there is a tail in the centre or it wouldn't be so thick ;)

Love pkw xxx

How clever, and it looks really genuine..! I hope to make custom nirvanas too one day.
-

Offline starstrider

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 07:45:36 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing all of this information!  I knew so little about these ponies, it's really exciting to read more about them. 

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »
Thank you for compiling all of this information and keeping up with it! The South African ponies have been so mysterious to me, I'm happy I was able to learn a bit more about them. I hope more continue to be found and shared; I love that there are so many international ponies, and that discoveries are still being made.

With all of the languages in South Africa, I wonder if these ponies ever had names in these languages, or if the English names were used by default. It would be so cool to find out, especially if they do have non-English names!

I love alternative names as well :)

There is a backcard in the Nirvana Gallery

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=435806

The story is generic and is written in English and the Afrikaans. The names of the ponies are all in English.

Tootie :) I'm glad you like how the tail turned out. It required a little thought before hand, but once I realised what I could do it made sense :) I'd love to see your nirvana customs when they are finished :bigups:

Love pkw xxx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal