collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FiM Season 8: Fake It Til' You Make It Discussion  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
FiM Season 8: Fake It Til' You Make It Discussion
« on: April 07, 2018, 11:29:48 AM »
A Fluttershy and Rarity episode!

Synopsis:
"Fluttershy is the only pony available to look after the Manehattan boutique while Rarity is away and takes on a series of characters to cope with the intimidating clientele. But as her characters get more and more exaggerated, Fluttershy learns that she was already the best pony for the job just by being herself. "

My thoughts:
Spoiler
I really loved all the costume changes Fluttershy had in this (even though they became too much for her). I really want to draw them lol. Maybe I missed something here but it seemed she became aggressive for no reason? It was fine when she was changing personalities but then she turned against the customers on top of that. She always takes things a little too far. Maybe I'm just tired but it felt a little muddled to me lol. Even at the end she got a bit agressive when a stern tone would have been fine, and then laughed it off as inner strength though Rarity was uncomfortable. Eh, it was weird.

Another Animatic!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU7d8ty3GqY

NOTE: Yes, some episodes have already been leaked, and every episode synopsis for season eight is available. Despite this, please refrain from discussing information about these leaks until we get to the respective episodes. Thank you!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
Re: FiM Season 8: Fake It Til' You Make It Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 12:40:19 PM »
That was about as hard to sit through as the other three, albeit only once Fluttershy was acting as other ponies. I wasn't really surprised that there was a disaster at the boutique considering Rarity "hired" someone that wasn't cut-out to run the store. Seems nothing was learned from the season premiere. Plus I already knew she was going to kick her friends out as she was acting like a total jerk throughout the episode.

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 02:11:50 PM »
The beginning of the episode was pretty nice, everything was going fine until Fluttershy became aggressive. I get the whole acting thing going on, but since she is improvising with her imagination and way too much investment, I am a little worried about her mental stability. I was really confused. She could be acting to reveal her confidence and all, but she could also be open-minded enough to see her initiatives aren't doing so good after all, that her clients were getting upset. How could she possibly kick her friends out of the boutique ? This was way too much investment, I am pretty sure she was having some kind of personality disorder and that's sad.

Well, I probably took it too much seriously. But I was actually enjoying the episode at first, everything was fine and smooth. But then, she became a mindless meanie and I didn't understand at all. '-'
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 02:30:49 PM »
Pursey Pink!

Ehhh, this was not my favorite episode.  I dislike the idea that just because someone is quite and soft spoken that they need to change themselves.  Too often Fluttershy is used to show a lesson where she must become more assertive or overcome fear.  Which is a good lesson...until it starts to seem like quite/gentle = weak/undesirable.  I'd really like some more episodes where her gentle nature is a strength and not something she has to overcome.

I also agree that the end was really weird.  What are they teaching with that?  That you can be mean and then shrug it off with a laugh?  This whole episode also seemed to have the underlying message that if other people are mean and demanding that it's acceptable to be the same in return.  Tell you what,  in the real world that will get you fired real quick especially in retail.  I get that Rarity did fire Fluttershy but since Fluttershy wasn't really employed to begin with and didn't actually suffer any long term consequences, her firing doesn't really hold any weight.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 02:38:32 PM by Sunset »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: FiM Season 8: Fake It Til\' You Make It Discussion
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 03:55:37 AM »
Fluttershy has anger issues. It's been here since the first season. The lesson was nice, but it was executed in that usual "Fluttershy hulks out" way. I wish this season was just about the school because they really are done with doing stories about the M6.

Ever wondered what the writing teams obsession with valley accents and Goth stereotypes is? It's not the first time they used them :lol:

Post Merge: April 08, 2018, 03:57:40 AM

I get that Rarity did fire Fluttershy but since Fluttershy wasn't really employed to begin with and didn't actually suffer any long term consequences, her firing doesn't really hold any weight.

She fired Fluttershy's three Alter Egos to end the illusion :lol:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:57:40 AM by Zapper »

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 06:33:52 AM »
As you've said so many times.  Hasbro is banking on the Mane 6 for not just what's left of this generation but the next (with some minor tweaks).  At least Gen 5 will be able to do something different with them (which might do something).  For right now, we just have to watch them rot away for the next two years.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 06:44:57 AM »
I love any episode that doesn’t have non-pony creatures included (raccoons excepted LOL). Emo-Fluttershy is the best thing I’ve ever seen.  Speaking of Flutters, I may be the only one who legitimately  enjoyed watching her descent into madness.  She’s usually such a Mary Sue, that it was fun watching her unravel.  It really is the quiet ones you gotta watch out for, LOL.  Some of those extra ponies had some pretty cool designs.  I loved the blue Pegasus with the red hair.  She was definitely my favorite :).  This was a pretty decent episode.  It felt like some of the older episodes, before the forced diversity nonsense started happening.  Definitely a breath of fresh air!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 06:54:53 AM »
As you've said so many times.

I'm not the only one repeating observations or opinions in threads. One of them is you :P

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 08:48:01 PM »
That was... so weird ahahaha. The episode felt like such a jumbled mess! I feel like they had their idea for a funny gag (Fluttershy getting into method acting) and had to build a whole story around it. Then when it wasn't enough to fill the episode they had to quickly think up a conflict?

Cos yeah her turning mean was completely out of the blue. Her acting was working just fine in the first half of the episode- she was clicking with the customers and making heaps of sales until she suddenly turned mean. For no real reason? lol
And yeah the ending was super weird. She'd hurt her raccoon friends as well as her pony friends and her way of apologising was to just wink and go "well you know I was just joking right?" That doesn't count as an apology, Flutters!
What on earth was the message they were trying to send? :P

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 10:31:27 AM »
I liked this episode solely for Fluttershy's different costumes. I like hippieshy the best, but gothshy is pretty close...
If the story's focus was playing up the quality of Rarity's clothing, it would make a bit more sense. She would keep upping the "This is such a great piece of art!" until no one is deserving of owning the clothes, but they went for the "feel like you know stuff". But she didn't turn mean by claiming to know more than the others, she just turned mean. This episode would be a bit better with some tweaking.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 04:50:24 PM »
I didn't like this episode at all.  It seemed almost nonsensical.

The best I can say about it was the pre-theme-song bit with Rarity begging other ponies for help was pretty funny.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
Ratiry: "SCP"
Fluttershy: "Woke"

I can't even.

Also, Fluttershy offered to help with knitting, but in season 1 we saw that Fluttershy has a surprising knowledge of sewing. She may not know about fashion, but she knews about sewing. Shew knew enough to help finish Rarity's Gala dress.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:45:11 AM by Khoufu »
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 11:23:15 AM »
Ratiry: "SCP"
Fluttershy: "Woke"

I can't even.

Also, Fluttershy offered to help with knitting, but in season 1 we saw that Fluttershy has a surprising knowledge of sewing. She may not know about fashion, but she knews about sewing. Shew knew enough to help finish Rarity's Gala dress.

Your right,  also all of the mane 6 helped her make a whole new line in one night in "Rarity takes Manehatten" I think.  So it would have made more sense to as Fluttershy to help with creating the dress and leave one of the regular shop assistants at the store.

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 03:39:17 AM »
Spoiler

Note to self: Stay away from Manehattan as long as possible.

I thought this episode was entertaining. The comedy is obviously what they were focusing on this time around. Just seeing Rarity possibly consider Boulder before Fluttershy was amusing.

That said, there are a couple minor continuity errors (as to be expected at this point), such as Fluttershy's lack of fashion skills.
Also did anyone get the slight feeling that Fluttershy was just trolling them as Rarity terminated her alternate personalities?

Not much else to say. It was pretty straightforward and fun. Nothing great, but nothing awful.

P.S. Where was Coco Pommel?
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 08:21:07 AM »
I thought goth fluttershy was kinda fitting for her. It hurt to see her be so mean to the racoons who were just trying to help.  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal