collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which Sea Pony has the yellow shell?  (Read 264 times)

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
Which Sea Pony has the yellow shell?
« on: April 07, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »
I bought a Sea Pony. I assume she's an Italy Nirvana. But on her tail it only says: "84 Hasbro Pat. Pend."

But her eyes and hair are typical Italy style. Anyway, it's actually about the shell. She came with a yellow shell and a purple shell comb. I was wondering who's shell this actually is. Is it hers or does it belong to another sea pony? Btw, her body is pink and her hair is blue.

I don't know if I need to upload pictures. But if you would like to see pictures let me know and I'll post them.
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Which Sea Pony has the yellow shell?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 09:45:22 AM »
If she's the version of Wavebreaker/Wavedancer (pink with blue hair) then I am pretty sure it's hers :) I forget the actual names of the Italian ones.

The only first set sea pony that's common between UK and US is Wavedancer (UK: Wavebreaker) and in the UK she had a yellow shell, not a purple one.

The Italian Sea Ponies seem to be based off the UK designs and I am pretty sure they also match the shells.

So it probably belongs to the Italian version of this pony:)

She also possibly has an "I" on her tail as well? It looks like a line scratched into the plastic after the manufacture stamp :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:48:15 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pierlala

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 10:25:30 AM »
I took a few pictures just to make sure.

And I indeed see a small line in front of the manufacturing stamp! I never knew you could identify a Italy pony that way!

I took the last picture with flash light because without it the stamp was barely visible.

PS: I forgot to put the comb in the picture as well.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 10:29:01 AM »
It looks like her shell to me but a proper expert can probably tell you for sure. :)

The I just looks like damage, doesn't it? It's easy to overlook. I went and actually checked mine to be sure I was remembering that right. Yours is still a lovely pink colour :) Mine has gone mostly white. I picked her up at a carboot sale here years ago and like Italy Firefly she seems to have that propensity to lose colour.

I don't know if there's anything specific to do to protect against that so I'll defer to the experts once more :)

I am also not sure about the combs/brushes for the Italians. I know in the UK Wavebreaker has pink brush and comb and I think the boxes the Italian ones have are based off the UK one but it doesn't mean the brush is the same colour. Given that it's likely her shell, I wouldve thought there's a good chance it's her brush too...

Edit to add, the box is different from the one I'm thinking of, but the Wiki has an actual Italian boxed one MIB which shows pink brush and comb in this release too:

The release I was thinking of is in this style of box but I can't find an image of Wavebreaker so can't check if her accessories differ. The image below is Seaspray from the same set, in Dutch/French box with UK art.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/379709812302792245/

I don't know if you bought yours domestically but if you did I would have thought it would be more likely she was from that release.

This is UK (HK) Wavebreaker MIB for comparison purposes (image is Babydoll;s)

In the UK release, Seaspray has a yellow brush/comb, Surfdancer has blue and Wavebreaker has pink (matching their bodies). The Italian ones I linked to above match these so I don't know where the comb comes from.

An expert is needed now O.O.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:40:36 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pierlala

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »
Oh wow thanks for the images!

Yeah, I can now see that that's the brush I have (though I don't have the comb). I said purple but I meant pink yes. I bought her in my country yes. I might mail the person that if she ever comes across the comb, I'm interested in that one too. At first I didn't know that sea ponies came with a brush AND a comb. Good to know. Thanks!

PS: I miss the 80's packaging. So simple but still so elegant.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 11:06:57 AM »
You're welcome! And the UK Sea Pony box is very simple but very pretty in my view. It's nice that the Italian release in Europe chose to use it, although that Italian own box is fascinating too. I do love Italian packaging in general.

G1 packages were so not garish until the late 1990s!

Glad to have been of help xD If the comb's pink then it's definitely hers xD. What I don't know is about what if any ribbon she had or if she had a sticker. But at least you've somewhere to begin now :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal