collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When will your collection be complete? Will it ever?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline SwirlyWhirly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Born in the year of the My Little Pony
    • View Profile
When will your collection be complete? Will it ever?
« on: April 07, 2018, 08:30:51 AM »
Do you think one day you'll have all the pony related things you want and will consider your collection complete? What does your complete collection look like?

For me it's about having every playset, accessory and pony which looks unique. I don't care about having a playset with a box with greek text on if the playset doesn't differ from the regular version. Neither do I care about no country, Italian or other variants of a pony if that variant doesn't look different than the regular one.

With that goal my collection will never be complete seeing there are so many rare and expensive variants of ponies. The more realistic goal is to own one of every regular pony, mail order pony and pony exclusive to a specific country, all accessories plus all the playsets complete with boxes. Even that might be unrealistic so my first goal is to just own every regular pony and every playset complete with boxes. G1 only that is. Thank god, that narrows it down at least a bit. :lol:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: When will your collection be complete? Will it ever?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 08:36:06 AM »
It will one day. I have a rough number for each gen that I'm getting.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 08:44:11 AM »
My main goal collection is almost complete: having all ponies of my favorites series. Having at least each pose & one pony of each type (incl. baby, aqua, flutter, butterfly...)
Then, I try to add some variation/nirvana to conga my favorites pony/pose, like having all my favorites unicorns in glory pose. And I hope to have all the Twilight variation one day too.
Then, I would really like to have porcelain and more merch, but that's the goal who's really really hard to get. So if I can archieve the first two, I will consider my collection as finished.
The most difficult thing is when you saw a new pony that makes you heart beat but he's not on your initial list :drunk:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 09:08:35 AM »
Ah, good question.

So my sister and I collect together, so technically neither of us have a 'complete' collection now. We both have ponies that the other doesn't have, but I don't feel the need to fill most of those gaps unless I really love a pony she has because a lot of the time they're expensive now (and vice versa). Between us we have most of the boxes ticked - Baby Sugarcake aside, we can cover the MO ponies, regular releases in Europe and the US including the UK. Nirvana we pick and choose the ones we like -I am partial to Brazilian ponies and Medleys :D and also have a bunch of Italians because when I started collecting Italian ponies literally nobody else was interested and so I was interested to learn about them more :D Now they're quite common though so it's changed...

Playsets - I don't have all of these. I'm missing lavender castle and Megan's Place and both my Show Stables are in shocking condition. I am not so fussed about these except Paradise Estate which was a dream of mine as a kid. I do like to have the boxes for them though. If they are missing some accessories, I am not bothered too much. Ditto ponies. Sometimes I like to have accessories for particular ponies, sometimes I get them by accident and keep them. Only occasionally do I go looking for them, like with Newborn Twins.

I collect MOC but I often change what I am looking for. The one thing that never changes is that I am always trying to complete my childhood collection mint on the card/box that I remember from when I was a kid. UK packages are hard to find so this is a big challenge, and 3 of them being Mountain Boys means that I will never reach that goal xD.

I think for me it's not about complete objects. I collect MLP I think more for the sake of learning about them, the history, the information, and building that up. I love the ponies but they are wrapped up for me in the nostalgia of my childhood a lot of the time or in the hunt for information about variations and stuff. A lot of people skip the space between US mainstream and Nirvana and I basically live in that space with my collecting. I'm more interested in the UK and Europe and different things across Europe and minor variations between releases in the US and Europe and so on. I genuinely don't care about a complete set of expensive ponies from Colombia or Venezuela or Greece. They are pretty but somehow just "trinkets" rather than what really interests me.

I have a passion for pony backcards so I guess my collection will be complete when I am satisfied I have an example of every backcard from the UK and European releases and a good range of US ones. I have about 300 or so now so I'm getting there.

So what is complete? Who really knows - but I don't suppose all the questions about MLP will ever be answered to my satisfaction. And so long as that's the case, even if I don't get a new pony very often now - I am still collecting information ;) And that makes me happy :D

I'm only materialistic with things that either capture my imagination or my curiosity. These do both.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:11:16 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 09:16:01 AM »
My main goal is to complete all of the ponies that appear in the G1 TV series (only from episodes that I like)

Here's a list of how many ponies I need to get

MLP Specials = 18

MLP: The movies (counting End of Flutter Valley) = 10 (2 are on they way)

Pony Puppy and Bright Lights = 1 (most of them appear in other episodes)

Ghost of Paradise Estate = 10

There's a lot more of the ponies I need I just have to tick off and re do the list again

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 09:22:12 AM »
I don't feel like I really have a collection goal. I want a small collection, but I still look for ponies casually.

My collection is full of ponies that were gifts, or I found in person, and some rares. So they mean a lot to me. But, I still pony hunt.. and if I get a special pony, the number can grow.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 09:46:26 AM »
-shrug- I don't really have a collection "goal" or anything like that, I just collect the ones I like. Plus I'm a multigen collector so as long as they keep releasing new ponies, I guess my collection will never be "complete" XD

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 09:48:12 AM »
I think my collection will never be really complete. I can't get enough ponies and playsets and I have only 154 of them from G1 to G4 with some doubles, triples and even one quadruple so I'm really far from owning all of them. I have a long way to go and I'm so happy about that.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 09:49:35 AM »
After I get Chief, Cutesaurus, every white pony, Argie Northstar, every wearable item, and every draft horse styled boy, then I'll be less driven to seek out more ponies. As long as I keep finding good deals on ponies I don't have, I'll probably keep buying off and on.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 10:09:10 AM »
I can't imagine ever having the amount of space necessary to display everything I want.  Even having the space to have everything I already own displayed where it isn't crammed together seems like a dream.
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline starstrider

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 10:12:14 AM »
Pretty sure my collection will never be complete.  There are so many variants, so many country exclusives, so many super rare and expensive ponies that I doubt I will ever own them.  Even if I found some of them for sale, the price tags are often pretty terrifying! Also doubt I'll ever have complete accessories!  So many small pieces!  I can only hope that I one day manage to get my grails and complete the common sets.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:31:20 PM by starstrider »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 10:29:01 AM »
I don't feel like I really have a collection goal. I want a small collection, but I still look for ponies casually.

My collection is full of ponies that were gifts, or I found in person, and some rares. So they mean a lot to me. But, I still pony hunt.. and if I get a special pony, the number can grow.

That's how my collecting is at this point.  Laid back, no goals.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 11:13:36 AM »
Right now there's about 25 ponies I want, there's little rhyme or reason to what I like but some will be harder to get than others. Then there's like 9 nirvanas that are more on a basis of if I come across them, but I probably won't get them otherwise. My fakie collection wishlist is a lot more casual and less set in stone, but there are plenty I'm still looking to get and therefore it's a lot more broad.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »
I mostly wanted the Year 2 and Year 3 ponies when I started collecting, so my collection is mostly complete.  There are a few ponies I still want.  But overall my collection has been shrinking over the years as I sold more and more stuff and kept the ponies that really matter to me.  I'm not a completionist and to be honest there are lots of ponies I just don't like.

I'm not interested in the regional variation ponies at all.  Like, they're interesting when they're in wildly different poses or colors.  But a lot of them are poorly made.

Right now I am most interested in weird stuff or oddities like pony bootlegs.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 12:30:09 PM »
Going by space to display them then I should stop right now as there ain't enough space for everyone who is here :).

It's the actual ponies I collect rather than merch/playsets - and I only buy those I really really like. Trouble is there's a lot that I really really like :)
But as these things do, sometimes those that needs some tlc or some new hair come my way and I like restoring them. I've got some duplicates but they are different enough to each other that I find it hard to actually let one of them go, especially if I've needed to do some work on them.

I prefer older gens to G4 so there is a finite number perhaps..........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal