collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Off with her head?  (Read 3253 times)

Offline SwirlyWhirly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Born in the year of the My Little Pony
    • View Profile
Off with her head?
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
If a pony doesn't show any sign of rust, mold and similar, do you still take it apart to wash the inside? Since the heads are glued on, I feel like taking the head off is a bit like ruining it since it will be less in original condition than before.

What's the opinion on this in the pony community? If I sell a pony which head was taken off and the glue had to be cut open with a knife, can I still call that pony mint condition if it otherwise is in mint condition? I don't plan on selling any of my ponies but I don't want to make them worth less either if I one day decide to do so.

Also, when washing a pony without taking it apart, is there a big risk of water getting trapped inside? I try to be careful when I wash mine but some water always tends to end up at the tail hole anyway and I always worry that some has got inside.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:39:36 AM by SwirlyWhirly »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Off with her head?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 09:41:02 AM »
I never take pony heads off. Ever.

Except today, when I had to take FF Bluebelle's off as she had developed an extreme case of mould and needed urgent intervention.

I don't like to do anything to a pony that alters its original state, so I don't rehair and I don't touch up symbols and I also don't unseal heads unless it's a crisis point, like today.

Bluebelle's head today came off just at a tug, though. I don't know if I'd have gone at her with a knife to break the seal, or if I'd have just dumped her in cleaning stuff as she was and hoped for the best...

I really have an aversion to interfering with my ponies...

And no, a pony with a head removed is no longer mint, although you can still say that the condition is very good.

Also, did you knnow that if you are not looking where you are typing, it is possible to type hoof instead of good because the letters g/h and f/d are close together...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 09:44:11 AM »
Nope. I'd only do it if there's obvious signs of a problem. If they're free from rust, or mold leave em be.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 09:48:58 AM »
When I see no trace of tail rust or mold, I don't take the pony's head off. It is a very tedious and time-consuming process to take off the head without damaging it too much, it's not worth the effort if the pony is actually clean inside.
And then, indeed, there is the "value" factor and the fact that visible damage might be unfortunately done to the pony.

For the washing, I don't dip them in water, I just let it run on them to wet the pony, wash it with soap and a brush and rinse it. I try my best to not let water inside them. When I'm in the drying step, I shake them with a wide movement to pull the water towards the extremities of the mane, absorb water with a towel, repeat a couple of times, lots of hairdryer time and I finally let my ponies sit in a dry environment.
So far so good, they seem fine after 5 months, but I'm as worried as you about mold and rust.
If you want to make sure no water stays inside, you might want to lay your pony on its back in a dry room for some days.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:50:49 AM by RoseNoire »
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 10:00:40 AM »
I pretty much only take the head off if there is a serious problem, or I'm planning on customizing them. For example, I got a really rank-smelling Masquerade in a shopgoodwill lot who was also missing her tail, and the washer had fallen into her hoof and become wedged in there so good it started to deform and cut into the plastic. When I did work up the courage to pop her head off, she had a half an inch-thick layer of rust and mould in her hoof. Yuck. Definitely worth popping it off to clean that gunk out.

But yeah, I wouldn't take the head off unless the pony seriously needed to be cleaned or you're planning a restoration/customizing project. And definitely wouldn't do it if you're looking to sell the pony later on (especially uncommon/rare ponies).

As for washing, just try to avoid getting water in as much as possible. It's okay if a little gets in there, it's practically unavoidable unless you're super super careful; just try to pat the top of the tail and the roots of the mane dry as much as you can and don't store the pony anywhere closed-in/without good airflow while its mane and tail are wet.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:03:12 AM by dakotadarkhooves »

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 10:04:52 AM »
I don't tend to put them in water either, I use a (designated) toothbrush and soap and clean them then rinse or wipe them off. I dry them with a towel and then sit them on the bath to dry for a bit. I always make sure they are properly dry before they go in the cupboard, so they can be out a week or two. Baby unicorns especially seem to hold water...I have had a couple which have seemed dry, only to leak out water at the tail 2 or 3 weeks after. One I got at ponycon even did it, so had presumably been washed by the seller and assumed to have dried some time before - but hadn't.

Baby Unicorns need their nappies. Apparently.

The one time I did put mine full in water was a bunch of grotty So Softs who needed it. But they then got hung on the hoist outside in the wind to dry...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »
I've heard some people use facial wipes or moist hand towels too.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 10:07:06 AM »
I only remove a head unless absolutely necessary. I deflocked some ponies which required head removals, and had to replace some loose rusty washers on a few tails. That’s pretty much it. If I had a pony covered in mold I would remove the head and check inside but I haven’t had to yet.
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 10:09:40 AM »
I use antibacterial wipes to clean ponies that I don't need to remove the heads from.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 04:13:32 PM »
Nearly all the ponies I get are from the thrift store or Craigslist, and a lot of them have their seal already broken or halfway broken. I always take off the heads of ponies with broken seals, it just makes cleaning easier. And I will definitely take off the head of ponies who have tail rust because you never know how bad it can be. Also, even if they don't have tail rust or something, if a pony is in a lot where all the other ponies have water damage, I will take off their head. There is a likely possibility water got in there if all the others have water in them too. For example, almost all the ponies I got in a lot recently had the inside of their bodies COMPLETELY covered in rust. So gross. I could see a bit of orangey pink at the base of a Yum Yums tail. I took her head off even though her seal was mostly intact,and she was the most rusty of them all.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline SwirlyWhirly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 01:24:20 AM »
I use antibacterial wipes to clean ponies that I don't need to remove the heads from.

What kind of antibacterial wipes?

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 02:37:03 AM »

What kind of antibacterial wipes?

Flash antibacterial wipes, cleaned up Morning Glory, you've got to leave them for a bit to let them dry.

Just make sure that when you've got Twinkleeyed ponies that you don't clean the eyes, just clean around them (I just use normal antibacterial hand wipes for them). Always wear gloves when using Flash wipes.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 07:28:11 AM »
If a pony is dirty beyond what will come off with a few swipes on a magic eraser, it is more often than not dirty on the inside too. Any kind of dingy shadow on a pony is a sign that all is not well inside. White and pale yellow ponies tend to show this best. Ponies that have clearly lived eventfully lives with children 9/10 have something internal as well. I've seen some pretty foul ponies and many of them looked ok outside.

As for value, I don't think I've ever seen anyone reduce the price on a pony simply because the head is loose. And if they are, it wouldn't be by much. If I sold a pony with a loose head seam, I would mention it in the description, especially if it's a pony I've personally opened up. I don't think it makes it significantly less mint. If a head comes off easily, it's better to know for sure rather than discovering a year later that she's been degrading inside. I would only second guess this if the head is so difficult to remove that cutting the seam is necessary.

As for water getting inside during cleaning, you absolutely must tilt the pony so the tail is lower. Always alter the position during drying. I tend to wait at least two days before displaying the pony. I've had a g3 sit drying for a week with the head off and still discovered she had water in her feet.
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline SwirlyWhirly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 11:21:28 AM »
So today I took off the heads of some bait duplicates. It did not go well with two of the ponies. It felt like the plastic of the head and body was all one piece melted together. Once I cut through the visible line between head and body I couldn't even see what was supposed to be glue so both ponies ended up with holes from trying to pull and cut the heads off. Not even violently. I don't see how I could have been more careful. The holes are in the part of the neck which doesn't show once the heads are reattached so they'll look fine when put back together but this confirmed my suspicion of taking off the heads being a bad idea to do to a mint pony. Hence the trying this out on bait duplicates. Still, I'd like to be able to do this to more ponies in need of inside cleaning without making holes in their necks. I have a pony in great condition except for tail rust but now I don't dare to touch her.

Is it possible that these ponies head and bodies somehow melted together or were they just really, really well glued? And how do I deal with this from now on? Obviously my technique is lacking.

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 01:11:44 PM »
So today I took off the heads of some bait duplicates. It did not go well with two of the ponies. It felt like the plastic of the head and body was all one piece melted together. Once I cut through the visible line between head and body I couldn't even see what was supposed to be glue so both ponies ended up with holes from trying to pull and cut the heads off. Not even violently. I don't see how I could have been more careful. The holes are in the part of the neck which doesn't show once the heads are reattached so they'll look fine when put back together but this confirmed my suspicion of taking off the heads being a bad idea to do to a mint pony. Hence the trying this out on bait duplicates. Still, I'd like to be able to do this to more ponies in need of inside cleaning without making holes in their necks. I have a pony in great condition except for tail rust but now I don't dare to touch her.

Is it possible that these ponies head and bodies somehow melted together or were they just really, really well glued? And how do I deal with this from now on? Obviously my technique is lacking.

Just a thought - did you soak the join between the head and neck (where the glue is) in very hot/boiling water first? That can help significantly in loosening the glue and the heads tend to come off much easier and without damage . Hope that helps  :)
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal